Just need a few epinions ??

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by Sharky, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I've been helping my nephew shop around for a bike able to handle his needs for jumping and freeride skills. Many 2006 models on sale.Just curious your thoughts on the last 3 I've looked into at Coates and Performance.
    http://coatescyclery.com/itemlist.cfm?category=61&startRow=11
    Kona Scrap
    Kona Shred

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=22319&item=30-6991&slitrk=schamp&slisearch=true
    Ironhorse Yakuza Bakuto
    They all come in around the same "sale" price .
    Anyone familiar with these? Good or bad...

2. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    definetly go with the yakuza it looks better and ino a n00b guy from Rb who has one and he rips on it

3. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Unfortunately I have to disagree with ross. Iron Horse, ever since the merged with K2 and a couple others, their customer service has gone to shit. I broke the frame on my K2 under warranty and not only did they not cover it because they didn't have that model anymore (understandable) but they didn't even offer a crash replacement discount on a different model or any thing. Just to let you know.
    Buddy of mine does have a kona hoss delux and it is pretty bomb proof except the front der is a piece of crap

4. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
  5. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Kona seems to have a pretty decent reputation. Frame warranty is a big deal. Look into that.

6. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Thanks...he sure has his heart set on that Ironhorse so we're gonna atleast try it Friday . Thanks Chris for the heads up and the Hoss Deluxe is listed as a clydesdale bike but I see you go for bombproof anyways:D . I apreciate the input. PM'd Rob. Thanks again for the replies.

7. RikDH

RikDH New Member

Sharky,
    Don't suppose you get these over there,

http://www.24sevenbikes.com/BIKESMAIN.html

Have a look at the deviant.
    I'm looking for a sugar mummy to buy me one !!

A friend of mine rides a shred without any problems but I believe the Scrap is fitted out better if he can afford it.
    Rik

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'd lean towards the Konas, based on their rep and their bikes almost always seem better to me. I've got a few friends on the Iron Horses with no real complaints, but they are always looking for an upgrade.I can't see paying that much for the IH. If you're going to Coates, ask for Corey don't negotiate with the guys they'll cut you a deal, but Corey will probably give you the best deal.

9. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    I think the Path has some decent sales going on Kona's right now (06 models) also know a few of the guys that do their weekend ride -ride some of the bigger IH's. acall or stop by that shop may help you as well. while i don't own one i have ridden /demoed a few Kona and they rocked. (never been on IH)

10. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Being a girl I'm all for comparison shopping!!! I'm a shopping fiend.
    Hey Rik ...didn't see that bike here but those Konas will be marked way down. We all need a sugarmate Mate:D ...OH YEAH...it's in the 90's here ENJOY your rain today. You know I had to throw that in cause I'm evil.8)
    I'll be making a return to Coates and a call to the Path and a few others to compare. So many bikes on sale right now I need to get Brian to concider these Konas. (moneys a lil tight)THANKS again...I'm not so familiar with all these bikes so need the help.

11. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I vote for the Kona as well. The only bummer is the base trim of a specific model comes with crap components...so if he doees go Kona, be sure to at least get a "Dee-Lux" version of the bike he decides on.

Robs Cove frame is also a good choice, that thing is like new and is pretty burly.

12. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    If you or he are really sold on those two lines, then I guess that's what I'd look into. And I'd recommend the Kona over the IH. But in that price range or a touch more, you have multiple options. You can bet on similar discount levels from most MFGs on their 06 inventory. I would also see if you can get him to throw a leg over a Giant STP, a Felt Shot, a Norco 125 and a Rocky Mountain Flow. As far as completes go, any of these are good bikes for someone wanting a DJ/trail hardtail. I think the Performance in Huntington has a Flow stock, the Path had a 125 in stock for most of the summer, and while the MSRPs might be out of reach, if they are dealing on the 06s they should be right around your pricepoint and equal or better in most aspects of frame build and spec. to the Kona or IH.

The other thing I would REALLY think about is doing a custom build. I abosolutely LOVE my Transition Vagrant, but price wise, it just can't be done on your budget. But there are tons of good freeride and DJ hardtails out there that would make a solid cost effective base to build from. If he likes the geo of a particular model, but the price isn't right, or you want to shop a custom; compare the geo to see if you can find a frame that fits the bill.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your shopping.

Chris

13. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

VERY helpful. We'll be at the Performance on Redondo Blvd. on Friday (or Sat.) . AND open to any bikes. Just want something good that'll hold up to his sic skills and in a good price range. I'm taking lots of notes cause I want to add one similar for myself. Thanks for the suggestions . Bret, these are the specs for the Kona Scrap.
    http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_c...roduct_detail.aspx?productid=320&parentid=253
    The build would be good if we can keep the price low. Rob offered a great deal and would be a perfect fit I think. A lot of good options here!!
    Thanks ;)

14. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    hey baby,DONT get the iron hose!they re junk in my opinion.when werking at sport chalet they had those crappy things there,not that model but that brand.go with the kona.

15. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

:p Yeah Dirty . Decided against the Ironhorse. One other suggestion made at a shop today was the Felt Doubleshot. http://www.feltracing.com/products/product.asp?pid=41&catid=18,23,35
    Flat Broke mentioned this one and was said to be better than the Kona scrap. The scraps won't be in till Dec/Jan anyway. Need to decide soon cause that boy is chomping to get at those jumps!!\\:D/ Hopefully by this weekend.

16. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    If there was an interest in a used bike I' didn't see Rob's post and I though the already sold the Stiffy. That would be my pick out of all the bikes talked about so far.

17. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    for the life of me I cannot remember the other brand that Felt owns, but as far as I know felt has a solid rep in the industry. Their freeride frames have a 2 year warranty (all the others in their line are lifetime) while Kona has a 1 year.

18. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    I like the geo on the felt doubleshot, but that's a personal preference and may not be the same for your nephew. I will say that I would somewhat prefer the build on the Scrap over the Doubleshot, but even my sorry ass would be swapping parts off either of those bikes in a heart beat. Deraileurs, cassettes, and shifters are all things that will eventually break or be replaced through maintenence, so don't obsess over those too much. On a DJ/FR hardtail, you're going to want to focus on the quality of the frame, the wheelset, and the fork. These are the big ticket items that you'll hate to replace down the road because of their cost relative to the entire bike. I feel they also happen to be the parts that get the hardest workout on a hardtail with a guy doing DJ or trying to keep up with full squish rigs on the trails.

If you have the time on Saturday, I'd start at Performance in So.Bay, then head out to OC to check out what the Path has (they had some DJ/FR hardtails on the outside rack last time I was there), Switchback Cyclery, and Adrenaline, just to get pricing on bare frames to give you an idea. All three shops are within 10 minutes of each other and between the three of them carry pretty much every brand available. Then on your way back to the So. Bay, check out the Performance on Warner and Magnolia just to make sure they don't have any left over Rocky Mountain Flow's hanging around at a deep discount. You said you like to shop and I'm sure this is a pretty big purchase for your Nephew, so by seeing as many options as possible, he'll feel even more confident with his decision when he decides on a bike.

Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

19. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Thanks

Sounds like a good plan. I know what this bike will mean to him so you could say I'm helping with the homework (so very much apreciate the input) and then letting him decide what he really wants. Only confusing part with the forks I assume you want atleast 6 inches of travel. The Felt is 130mm . Coates was willing to swap a fork with 7 inches that had a dial to shorten the leangth onto the Scrap which comes with 100mm. Then someone that rides FR said no you really will only want no more than 4 inches (that you didn't want all that play aproaching jumps) so maybe this is just personal preference?? :?:
    (since he lives just a few miles from Del Cerro I know he'll be doing much of those play areas) Bri off ski jump...that's a jekyll 500.

Attached Files:

20. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    yeah another hucker w000t