Just Back From The Plunge...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Ladd Jasper, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

...and it was absolutely fantastic. Nothing like it down here, so no comparisons--just have to experience it for yourself. Kinda beat right now, but will add more later.

Perhaps the other bubbs can share their thoughts. You boys home yet? ;)

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I got home early. I waited at the top of the Plunge for the two staglers and rode back a ways to find them. I found them and ushered them to the start of the Plunge and then bid them farewell, as the rest is downhill all the way back. I caught up with everyone else then, but I couldn't wait as I have to get ready for a business trip tomorrow to Houston.
    Dell you guys got done 2 hours before us. We spent a lot of time waiting up there, but we wanted to nake sure eveyone was okay.

I had an absolute BLAST again.

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Any photos? I assume everyone finished relatively safe and healthy?

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    They'll be coming. There were a lot of photo's taken.

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    First I want to thank Scott, (STJunkie) you are a saint and class act, a big thanks helping everyone get off the mountain safe and in relatively good shape.

Jeff thanks for showing us some of the local goods.

Three days of riding and many good stories to tell, don’t know were to start, so I will post a few pictures and tell you that it is a great ride and yes it is worth the trip. I know that we owe the motorcycle guys big for these trails but there is a price to pay…ruts and loose trails. Took some adjusting to get used to sand and ruts. For me, no OTB or crashes, but I did not push it and took it slow. I am grateful that with 27 riders, we suffered no major injuries or mechanicals.

Joy, the only female on the Plunge Ride, I don’t know if you will read this but you schooled many of us on the up hills, when we were walking you were still hammering. You are my new hero.

I took over 100 pictures and here are a few that caught my eye on the first pass through.

Attached Files:

6. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Nice photos...looks absolutely beautiful. Where's the cabin?

7. MightyWarlock

MightyWarlock New Member

As the final Straggler out of the Plunge, I would like to thank you and Scott for hanging in there with us and making sure we got out safely. I had a problem with my Camelbak and ran out of water too quickly (the hose came off the bladder and i lost almost all my water after the refill at the spring). I was definitely dehydrated and tired and sore from not riding enough lately at all. Everytime we saw you scott you were like our saviour with just another sip of water[-o-] . Thanks!!(I still have your water bottle...forgot to give it to ya at the bottom).
    all in all, a good weekend.

8. dstepper

Home Page:
    I think it was in Cannell Meadows...anyway it was a little before we got to the final alpine section and then the Plunge.

I did not think I had to work today but I got talled in, so later.

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Glad you got down okay Rich. You earned that downhill, that's for sure. I hope this doesn't turn you off of biking. That was a Herculean effort you guys put in.

10. MightyWarlock

MightyWarlock New Member

not turn me off from biking...that would never happen,
    i am just too out of it...
    in the last 2 years i haven't had much saddle time, and think this ride would have been not as big a deal if i was in the riding shape i was in a while back. frequency of riding is a major factor. I mean, I haven't even had my bike for a while...it's been at Franky's house for quite some time...
    work, and other things just got in the way. Hopefully i will be able to get back into it again more frequently.

11. CranxOC

CranxOC New Member

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun out there. For anyone who's never done "The Plunge" it's well worth the trip!

I'm actually going to be heading out there next month and was curious about a couple of things:

1. Is the upper part of the trail still soft and sandy from all of the stupid motorcycle activity?

2. Were there still a million cows on the trail (when I went two years ago, there were tons of cows everywhere, blocking the trails and making things interesting)?

Thanks!

12. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

This was an awesome weekend of riding. Big thanks to Jeff for showing us some of the local trails on Saturday and a huge thanks to Scott for waiting behind and making sure everyone got off the mountain safely. You are a guardian angel dude! I decided to make my own trail on a loose sandy dh section down into the creek below and went OTB landing right smack on my head and back. I was out of it for a while when Dean and Glen caught up to me and helped me up. I think I heard Dean's camera clicking away getting pics, not sure though. I ended up cracking my helmet but the worst part was hurting my upper back in the crash. It made the ride seem much longer but I popped a bunch of advil. Once the drugs kicked in I felt much better and finished it out. My back is hella sore right now but it feels a little better than yesterday. Thanks to everyone who waited behind while I gathered my senses and tried to figure out where I was. I'll post some pics later.

13. Juliius

Juliius New Member

mortgage, real estate broker
    Glad to hear everyone made it down safely - and much thanks to the guys that took their time to make sure everyone was safe and having fun ... it was HOT HOT HOT at the bottom - and after already riding 20+ miles - makes for potential pain if you're out of shape, dehydrated, having mechanicals, etc. So again MUCH PROPS to the guys who hung back to make sure everyone was ok!!

We had 27 riders on the shuttle - but there were another 4 waiting at the top - so we had a total of 31 riders on this ride (no wonder it took so long). It was cool to meet a bunch of you - I'll try to bump up from San Diego once in awhile to do some riding. If you ever need a guide for Noble Canyon ... just give me a call.

No cows right now ... I think those grazing "rights" are leased out to locals and they drive their cattle up there. So, bovine presence is intermittent.

Upper part of the trail isn't too bad - but yeah, it's definitely loose. The Plunge was pretty loose too. I'd say the motorcycle activity isn't necessarily stupid though ... a lot of the trails up there probably wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the motorcycle riders - I'd venture to guess that people have been riding motorcycles up in those mountains longer than mountain bikers - so, I guess we'll just have to share :p

But don't let any of this detract from the fact that this is an AWESOME ride, regardless!!

dstep - thanks for the spot on the floor!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  14. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    dOOOOOd R U alright? You sure your name is "trail blazer"? But seriously I hope your ok, you might want to get that checked out...concussion is not a good thing at all, especially if you were out of it. If anything take it easy for a few days to make sure you don't have any type of relaps. But I bet that would have been funny as hell to see you blazen new trails.\\:D/

15. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Freaking Solid Ride!!

yeap!! this ride was one of the best rides I have done to date!! I know people will not take my word like always so I'm not wasting my time trying to describe this ride. I did it and u all missed it!! so there!! muuhahhahahaha!!:bang:

I do want to thank everyone that made this ride possible!! both Mike (pain) and Dean for all the hookups and the help!! u guys rock!! Jeff u did a kick ass job playing the guide for us and I for one thank u for the little extra credit we did on Saturday!! I had a great time w/all the rocks!!!8) Thanks for Sunday too!! we sure did it quick and fun!! Scott u my friend trully got the metal for sticking on the rear to help the guys that where having a hard time!! that shows allot about a person!! much respect PARTNA!! :bang: and to the rest of the riders u all get my respect for doing this ride!! it wasnt an easy ride @ all. specially the guys w/the heavy bikes!! I feel your pain fooo sure!! specially the guy w/the mongoose bike!! ohh danngg!! i can only imagine.#-o i just hope everone had as much fun as I did!! I cant wait for the video and for the next ride!! count me in for this fall Jeff!! I'm in fooo suree!!!:bang:

Frank!! did u go to the doc like we asked u to?:-s

come one people I need some pictures!!\\:D/

(btw: my name is Jose in case u all forgot who I was8-[ )

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  16. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    And here's a pic to help
    [​IMG]

(hey man, long time no ride):wave:

17. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

:lol: Hucker!!!:clap: well u dont ride b/c u been so busy w/the wife and all!! ohh yeah btw get confy b/cuzz thats what they call SLAVERY!! muhhahahhahaha!!!\\:D/

18. dstepper

Home Page:
    Frank, I took some aftermath pictures but when I came down I was more concerned about you than pictures.

I am sorry...I forget his name, but Joy's riding buddy, was first to find you. Like any good mountain biker he went to see if your bike was OK....just kiding...but he did fish your bike out of the gully. You were disoriented for awhile and not talking for the first 5 minutes. Glen was the next one to come down and by then you were on your feet.

The pictures are of the trail coming down were you made a new trail.

Attached Files:

19. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

I was mostly dazed and confused but I just sat there for a little while to gather myself. :confused:

I'm taking a few days off, so no Incycle ride for me tonight. The stuff up there was so loose it was like surfing on dirt/sand. At one point going down the "plunge" section, my front wheel was turned almost sideways while going straight down the hill.

20. dstepper

Home Page:
    Tin, it was good riding again with you and your crew. You guys are always a bunch of fun.

Attached Files: