Race Report Julian Death March 2011

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Apr 11, 2011.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Post your ride reports here!

2. eboogie101

eboogie101 New Member

Did it on a fixed gear, pretty sure I lost part of my soul to Oriflame again. Was dead set on not going back out to do the 86 when I got back to the start but next thing I knew I was at the 4-way in Julian. I loved climbing Banner.

Great event, super scenic views everywhere, am definitely in next year, with a freewheel tho!

Finished all 86 around 8:40

Thanks again to Rich and all the other racers, everyone was very encouraging.

3. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

hey eboogie.....were you the guy on the black vassago? and, you buddy on the blue redline???

you guys were crankin'! great job!!!

kam (the guy on the black n pink soulcraft ss)

4. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    Race start time temps were in the high 20's....Descent down Eagle Peak was cold... Had to bail at rest stop 1 due to still suffering from last weeks crash/concussion...So I ended up supporting the rest of the Meadowview Mountain Goats (Pat and Kevin)...Very disappointing to have to bail but better to be safe...Spent most of the time at rest stop three at the bottom of Banner...Sonya was very fast and impressive. I think she finished in the top 5 overall...As for the fixie guys...your nuts! I followed you down Pine hills road for while, I will post a pick of how to go fast on a fixie down hill. Good event by Rich, Great Pizza in Wynola and good to see some of my Julian friends there too.

5. newport54

newport54 New Member

Designer
    It was a really fun weekend in Julain. My family and I arrived Saturday morning to find we were the only people camping. Snow was on the ground…it was beautiful! We went into town and had some pizza and it started snowing again. I’m very happy rich moved the date. Great call!

On race day the weather was perfect and the riders were supper mellow. Rich started the race and away we went…

We flew down the hwy and onto some dirt fire roads, for about 6 miles. Then we turned onto cedar creek and the climbing began. All the way up engineers rd to lake cuyamaca. It was pretty rough and I just put my head down and climbed. Once you hit the lake the climbing was much more mellower, the views were amazing, and I was alone. I climbed a single track up to the second rest stop. At this point I was feeling great…I was alone so I was singing out loud and enjoying myself.

I made a rookie mistake at the second rest stop…if they ask to wash and lube ur chain let them do it!! I declined the offer and was off only to find myself with a dry chain that didn’t want to transition smoothly. Somewhere in Chariot Canyon I got the worst chain suck. The chain got wedged in my front derailleur and I spent 20 mins or so trying to wedge it free. I made it to the last rest stop on Banner, still singing and have a great day.

The people running the aid station told me, “six more miles to go.” Let me just say, this last six miles was the hardest part of the race. I climbed switchbacks all the way up to Julian. This part of the race was my death. I had to walk most of it…my legs just wouldn’t go anymore. Making the wrong turn got me lost and I had to wait for other riders to come along so I could follow them out. Once I made it to the top it was smooth riding through town.

I was extremely proud of myself…I have never done a 50 miler before. I finished over 6 hours. Thanks to all the supporters at each aid station. Also, thanks to the dude that gave my son a medal…he took it to bed with him last night and was wearing it this morning. According to the stats I rode 54 miles and just over 7000 ft of climbing. I cant wait till next year and hope to finish within 5 hours. Good times!

6. richwolf

richwolf New Member

7. richwolf

richwolf New Member

8. cvbeam

cvbeam New Member

Work with special needs children
    Rich....Thank you for putting on such a great event!

I am the other knuckle-head that completed the 86mi course on my fixed gear (blue redline), came in at 8:29.

The weather was perfect and the views were amazing.

This one will be on the to do list for next year.

9. eboogie101

eboogie101 New Member

Kam

Yeah that was me on the Vassago, thanks for the kind words

Your bike was frickin beautiful, and way to go on the whole 86!

10. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    [​IMG]cybeam, I think this is you I was following

sorry having trouble loading photos :(

[​IMG]

11. richwolf

richwolf New Member

12. newport54

newport54 New Member

Designer

good stuff...now i'm off for the whiskey 50. it should be much easier than the jdm--i hope. that last climb up banner was so difficult.