Julia12 and knee surgery

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by ezzyride, May 14, 2010.

1. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Heal up and do not rush it... I know it is hard not to but take care of yourself now and you will benefit for the rest of your life. . sorry to chime in late but i have not been on here lately. May you heal as fast as your ride.

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

You can heal up pretty well from that by sticking with the physical therapy...but making sure not to overdo it...take what your body gives, you.

I had a medial meniscus tear...(along with an ACL that was replaced and an MCL that I had to rehab before the meniscus surgery)...it also tore the bone it was attached to...that required a follow-up surgery called an OATS procedure...hole-saw a couple of dime-sized plugs of bone from the humerus and insert them where the normal bone-on-bone contact will occur without the medial meniscus in there. As long as I don't run, it should take a while for the bone to wear down...

After 3 months, was riding on road again and 6 months later was in better shape than before. That surgery was 2 years ago and I'm better than the weatherman when a storm is coming...not to mention riding upwards of 1k miles/month, KOM events, 12-hr MTB races, and double-centuries.

3. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Elvira,
    When they let her use a stationary bike I can lend her my recumbent. (Easy Racer EZ1.) Same pedaling motion but much less boring.

4. SuperDKim

SuperDKim New Member

Office Mang. MBZ Repair Shop
    Glad to hear everything went well! Wishing you a speedy recovery and follow the Dr orders! Looking forward to seeing you back on the bike in no time. If you need someone to ride road bikes with you when you get to that stage, let me know I'll ride with you...flat & steady..no hills! :wave:

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Every recovery is different. Follow the Doctor's orders and be the best patient you can. Physical Therapy is a must and the home exercises are very important. Too much too soon will only haunt you in the end!

6. denmother

Any updates?

7. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    We hope Julia is good to start Physical Therapy on Wednesday. One of her incisions had a bit of an infection. Also battling a somekind of bug with ear and throat infection. It's been 3 - 4 day's of antibiotic and no relief. Maybe she needs another 5 days (I don't know). As you can imagine she is miserable right now but hanging in there. Has a good attitude and can't wait for Wednesday. When I come home from riding she will ask who was there? And of course she misses riding Fully on Thursday's.

This weekend she asked me if I am sure she is not allowed to pedal on flat land. I assured her I am 100% sure not yet.

Thank you for asking Denmother.

-Elvia

8. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Today Julia was happy to hear the PT ask if she wanted to pedal. Her reaction was to ask; are you serious? Thou, it was just the stationary bike there was a big grin on Julia's face.

I could hear her conversation with the staff at the clinic regarding mountain biking. Giving them much information on trails, riding and bikes. At one point a PT said to me she had never seen anyone get so excited over bikes. On the bright side for Julia week 1 is over and 7 more to go.

It sounded like Julia will be riding with the people from the clinic like she was recuriting people.

Attached Files:

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Mind if I ask what kind of surgery?
    I've had an ACL done and 2x meniscus removal.
    Seeing 6-8 weeks of PT sounds less serious than ACL but a little bit more than meniscus.

Keep the healing going.

10. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    The reason for the longer recovery is the knee was cleaned out for cartlidge and her bone has to be shaved. The bone needs time to recover. This is my understanding from all the medical staff.

-Elvia

11. Go Go

Go Go New Member

Making Craig dinner
    I'm glad to hear Julia is healing up fast and she's on her way to a full recovery!!

12. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Unfortunately due to this virus BS can't download pictures.

Today they gave Julia the greenlight to ride on dirt. They actually gave her the green light to ride on pavement a week or so ago. The kid refused to pedal on pavement.:?:

Well I get a phone call at work and she has the therapist on the line. Hopefully the therapist did this on her free will.;) I am informed Julia can ride on dirt again. As I drive up I see my daughter walk out with a Path shirt and her bike. Loads our bikes and I try to tell her it's late BUT she's not hearing me. We drive to Peters all I see is the Path shirt flying. I give it all I've got and less than a mile mom (me) is about to pass out. It was quite a fast paced ride up and faster coming down. My words at the beginning of our ride "be careful" whatever. Her brace is broken in and hopefully she will be careful.

It was great riding with her again and my smile was huge watching her ride. Julia said mom my face hurts from smiling so much.

-Elvia

13. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    BEAUTIFUL!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

14. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    sweet! i needed some good news today. i'm free after tomorrow--let's ride!

15. denmother

:bang: can't keep a good woman down!!!