jamis parker reviews

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by byker4christ, Oct 15, 2009.

1. byker4christ

byker4christ New Member

sales associate at performance fountain valley
    so i was thining about picking up a jamis parker 1.0 frame from jenson and was wondering what people think of it. i want somethign i can race 4x, ds and jump with, while still being able to ride trails too. i ride fully mostly but am looking to ride aliso too. would the frame work for everything i want to do? i had a kona coiler but cracked the frame and really want to get back into riding. i do ride hard so i want something strong.

2. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

From what i've heard first hand... they're junk.

3. MustMoto

MustMoto New Member

Photog
    I bought one for my wife, and it seems ok. I rode it one day on san juan trail and it handled great. I have even hit the pump track with it.

4. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I believe the Parker's are more of a slopestyle/4x/dj bike so it would work well for those applications. All around riding, though, might not be it's forte. I have a slopestyle bike and it is not the best thing to ride around on the trails with. More a one trick pony. Other than that I've not heard to much of anything about the Parker. Last time I looked though, the price is hard to beat for what you're getting.

5. seven1four

seven1four New Member

getting paid to break shit
    Its not a bad rig at all...I picked one up from jenson last month, a demo bike they had on sale, The rear shock is a definate change for sure (rock shox bar 2.1) going to slap in a fox coil shock. I rode Aliso, Laguna (telonics), it was pretty plush. For the price, you cant go wrong.

6. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    The top mount for the shock looks a little like an afterthought. MSRP $2000 full bike? I saw a used SC 2006-V10 for $2100 on here. I know you said you were just looking at the frame...I'm just saying. What was the frame price?
    09_parker1e.jpg

7. seven1four

seven1four New Member

getting paid to break shit
    Jenson has them on closeout (2008 frame) $365

8. nau56din

nau56din New Member

The Parker uses the same suspension layout the Dakar used to. That design has won its share of awards and has stuck around (in one form or another) for quite a while now. I have read reviews of the Parker, apparently it's proven itself useful in a wide range of uses, a mountain bike with a BMX feel.

What's the point of comparing the price of a 3 year old used bike to the cost of a brand new bike (which is actually different from the frame in question)?

Jamis is a quality maker and this sounds like a killer deal.

-Al

9. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Just my comment on how to spend ones hard earned cash. I think the v10 is a much better bike than the Jamis parker and when comparing both I would rather have a 3 year old V10 than a Parker. IMHO. But I have no idea what the guy is putting into the frame, maybe its the best choice for him.
    I'm not a big fan of the mount, but again just my opinion. I'm no physics master either, but when you think about how the force vectors come through the shock, the swing arm looks like it's in a bad position. It seems to me the mount should be on the down tube instead of the top tube? That's a question I have always had about many bikes. I need to learn more about that.
    Any links to the reviews you mention might help the OP.

10. byker4christ

byker4christ New Member

i am looking to get just the frame from jenson for 400. 2100 is way out of my budget otherwise i would be riding an astrix havoc and a jamis parker for a total of 2100. i just want to hear what people have to say about it before i finalize my choice.

11. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    ummmm, no. The 08s had issues with their chainstays, but from what I understand, that issue has been resolved. Ride2live32 has one and he rides it for everything, rides very aggressively and has had no issues with the thing. Great bike for the price.

12. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    So is it a do-everything bike or is it still geared more for slopestyle (ie bike parks, stunts, 4x, DJ) I seem to recall reading a review of it in MBA a while back and they liked it for what it was but not necesarily for an all-around bike.

13. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    The frame is the most important piece of the puzzle. The fork is the next most important piece ( some might say the fork is 1st ). That Jamis at any cost is like polishing a turd. When it comes to buying NEW stuff you get what you pay for. A brand new frame for 400 is suspect? If you don't plan doing any DH.....................wait a minute is this the adrenaline factory right?

POS!!

14. byker4christ

byker4christ New Member

the adrenaline factory is more then just DH...i am looking at it because it is in my price range. i cant afford to drop 2000 on a bike so i have ot work with what i can get. almost anything is better than not riding. (walmart bike would be worse cus i would be injured and without a bike). im not looking to do full DH on it more of trail/AM/slopestyle all mixed together with some small/medium jumps and 4X. pump track riding.

15. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    :lol::lol:I agree, compared to Foes, Intense, Turner or any other "top end" boutiqe type of frame, it is a turd. But in the average guys market, sometimes we dont have 2-3K to spend on just the frame. I have been riding for 5 years and am riding my 2 year old "turd" Jamis until I get the money saved for an awesome DH bike. Its a great bike to start learning to ride agressively.

16. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    I have rode this bike, the jamis parker 1 model, ricky had told me they have issues.. I never had any ISSUE at all!! just the fork that locked out on my second ride as xc style at syacmore canyon in riverside. After they fixed the fork, I have rode it at big bear, idywild southridge trail, rainbow canyon trail, also have rode it at santa rosa pletaue, I also rode it at southridge usa 4x track, and did a few street riding around beach, and city.. I dont find any issue.. only thing thumb down about the bike the rear shock (rockshox bar) and the front shock it came with, also the compiments (sp?) I switched rear deruailer to shamino saint, put single chain ring and shamino saint m800 cranks on.. I am execpting to upgrade the fork and rear shock to pike 454 and fox 3.0 coil shock. Just because of it being low cost doesnt mean its a junk, its good all around for the budget in my option! Well I also did swamped bars/stem to azonic barlett stem and sunline 716 bars. and upgraded the brake pads (the stock one squeaks really loud after 3 rides, i felt the vibration a whole lot annoying!) and upgraded to Azonic Outlaw wheels (white on black) I was lucky that it came with maxxis ignitor tires, but i am running kenda small block 8 on it currently. 2.4.. $900. out of door from jenson plus few discounted sponsored rider parts about 300 more into it.. so its about 1200 bucks total almost, I say its NOT BAD AT ALL!!!!

17. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    I should have asked at the restaraunt I ate ate last night. I ordered italian/sushi/greek/american and mexican. I was delicious. j/k...couldn't resist!:beer:
    Good luck though, should be one heck of a bike when you find it:?:

18. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    Boutique frames can be had for 600 used. I sold my RFX for 600 and it was in excellent condition. I should have been more constructive with my post. Don't buy a POS because it's cheap. Look through the classifieds here, on MTBR, Craiglist, and Ebay. Deals are out there, you just need to look for them. A 4X/DS bike that will also be used for trail riding is going to be difficult. A DH/FR bike opens up alot more options. Like this one right here. KONA STINKY $500

19. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Yeah, deals can be had, but lets be frank, its not everyday that you find 600 dollar Turners, or the equivalent--at least not in decent condition, but I agree, they are out there. I still will gladly ride a Jamis over many other bikes out there.

20. SlickShoe671

SlickShoe671 New Member

Not trying to thread jack but if you guys dont like your rear shock I still have stock Fox float R that came of my 08 Parker 2. Also I have a E-13 dual chain guide that I also installed. The chain guide shims had to be cut to fit the parker. Although it works great, im not sure if it will fit anything else which is why I wouldnt recommend it on anything else. PM your interested I guess.