Is riding solo risky?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quikflip27, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

The print doesn't pass the "X" test to be a dog print.

Dog prints tend to be oval in shape.

2. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    11:18am Sunday - I just spoke to a buddy who eneded up riding solo this morning. He's a strong rider, but went down. Hit his head, helmet cracked, arm went numb, neck popped. He's icing down now. I bummed we weren't there to help out, because he said he wasn't riding today either.

His wife picked him up, fall was near the rode.

He is lucky he had a cell phone and near a rode, otherwise extraction would have been tough and more painful.

So yeah riding solo is very risky no matter who you are.

I'm not saying don't do it, but please be careful and make sure you let someone know where your going, expected return time and have a cell phone with GPS coords.

3. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    I am not going to read all that has been written as I am on my out for a ride. A solo ride which is how I ride 98% of the time. It allows me the freedom to go where I want, when I want at whatever speed I want. (I know I was an only child) Anyway that being said, if I am headed somewhere that is more remote then the local stuff(aliso ect...) I usually let someone know when and where I am headed and establish a reasonable call time to let them know that I am out safe and all is well. Obviously if I don't call and it gets way late then they can always let someone know where to find me... It is not fool proof and as I mentioned only if I am somewhere that I do not expect to see anyone else on the trail.

Now riding DH... That is a way more social event and is always done in the company of good friends....:beer:

4. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Footprints in mud often appear larger than they actually are. When it dries they will be smaller due to water loss. Those are dog prints. Step in the mud barefoot and then put your foot in again and you will see. I have been a deer hunter for 30 years and you dont want to track down a buck based on his mud print. They just look bigger than the actual buck.
    The telling signature of a lion is that there is no claw showing. Lions will not waste their best weapon on mud, snow, or ice.

5. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    Good to hear he's safe. I was riding down Holy Jim solo this morning and my rear washed out on one of the switchbacks, bike almost went off and almost took me with it. Definately have to err on the side of caution more when solo.

6. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Thanks. I've been keeping tabs with him, he's banged up, and still has some numbness in his arm, but sounds like he's relaxing and will recover.

7. Dacob Paine

Dacob Paine New Member

Home Page:
    Just my 2 cents here -- seems like a pretty long thread, but after reading the posts I had to add something I've not seen mentioned.

I've not been on a group ride in at least 15 years... ya, I know, I'm a loner :) Actually the truth is that I just don't have any friends in the area to ride with, so I'm used to riding alone... hum... perhaps I might want to get off my butt and go to a scheduled ride, eh? ;)

Anyway, since I've been riding trails all over the Bay Area, and now down here in LA, by myself for so long, I've just gotten used to the dangers and frankly, I don't even think about them anymore. In fact, it would be rather nice, now that I think about it, to have someone with me so that I could feel more comfortable getting aggressive on some downhills -- I normally never go all out, as I find I usually only crash when I'm approaching my own physical limits, or the limits of why my bike can do.

But back to my point, I mitigate my risks my carrying a very well stocked medical kit -- I have gauze, pads of every size, tape, and a whole lot of other items for absorbing blood and covering surface wounds -- by far the most common injury in mountain biking, in my experience.

What I also take with me is knowledge -- I've had numerious classes in wilderness first aid, and I feel that without at least a basic knowledge of first aid, including fractures (and their ugly cousin, compound fractures) and joint injuries, you are really taking a risk. I remember years ago when I was in high school, I was mountain biking alone in Tilden Park, up in Berkeley, and I came across a young lady who was also biking alone. The only problem was that she'd gone OTB (I always called this an endo, but I guess I'm out of date) and had managed to dislocate her left shoulder rather badly -- it was not a pretty sight.

She was not moving -- it was pretty clear she'd been there for a while, perhaps an hour or more, and she was down for the count. As she was conscious, I was able to stabilize her a little bit so she was more confortable (note, if someone has a shoulder injury like I've described, please don't go flipping them over and moving them all around -- that can really make the situation worse. Leave the recovery up to the EMTs, they have the knowledge and experience) and I then proceeded to haul butt down the mountain to the ranger/nature center to get help for her. I shudder to think, to this day, what might have happened if I'd not come across her when I did -- it was not at all a remote trail, but during the weekdays, I doubt it saw more that 1 or 2 visitors a day.

I guess for me, personally, I've ended up developing a rather laid-back and non-aggressive style of riding, as I'm constantly aware that if I do endo (or go OTB, I'll have to remember that my lingo is out of date LOL) I may have a walk of many miles to get out. I never, ever, ever, ever assume that a rescue crew will be able to get to find me, first and foremost, and secondarily, that they will be able to *get* to me. I think that that can be a very dangerous assumtion to make -- that a team of rescue personnel might be able to physically travel to your location. Yes, with a helicopter most any remote area can be accessed, but what if you crash in an area that you have to hike out of before rescue personnel can get to you? If you are not prepared, mentally, physically and most importantly *emotionally* for being very seriously injured and being forced to hike out for as many miles as you've biked in, you absolutely should not try to go mountain biking alone.

Oh, and as an aside, I also carry an extensive tool kit, so that I can repair most any mechanical problem, and water purification tablets, so that if I find myself stuck outside over night, or for longer than I expected, I can still refill my water supply and clense it. Giardia is ugly, and getting sick when you're already injuried can really turn the tide and make a recoverable situation much more dire.

In short, if you've not already had a lot of experience being very far out in wilderness areas, by yourself, and are not comfortable with the risks involved, then you should absolutely not take the risk. That being said, I no longer ride on the road for any reason.

I, personally, feel that road riding is absolutely much more dangerous than mountain biking, simply because of the risk of being hit by a car. Yes, a bad crash on a mountain bike can kill you, but it is not a common event. However, being hit by a car while bicycling is much more common, and while I've not checked this, I would be suprised if the percentage of people killed in bicycle versus automobile crashes is much higher than the percentage of people who are killed in serious mountain bike crashes. My fiancee was the one who really opened my eyes to the dangers of riding on the road here in LA, with the absolutely insane drivers that seem to populate this area, and so now I drive my car to the trailhead, every single time, no matter what.

Yes, mountain lions scare me -- they should. But a 2 ton car going 50 miles a hour scares me a lot more.

~Dacob

8. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

Well said Dacob Pain.

9. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    It's so much fun riding in a group, I have to admit. Besides the fun factor, it challenges you indirectly to improve your riding skills in many ways. I especially love the post ride meals in a group setting.

But there is a person in our group that really likes to complain a lot and he is taking the fun out of riding at least for me. That's human nature and more often than not I prefer to ride alone.

I re

10. 1richrvp

1richrvp New Member

Riding alone

I ride alone alot sometimes for my own growth. I do let my wife know where i am and at least one buddy who knows the trial i'am at cause they know how long it takes. as for cell phone i get service with att up there so. thats my take i like to ride alone, and i also like to ride with friends. its a better ride to share with others.:beer::bang:

11. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
  12. Pilas

Pilas Member

Agree.
    Back when I was racing and training, I did a lot of solo rides (Harding climbs, El Morro Loops, Long rides in the Santa Anas etc.).
    I guess it could be dangerous if you happen to crash in a remote area, or if you encounter a mountain lion, but it also has its good points. Sometimes, you want to follow your own training routine, and sometimes it feels good to enjoy the trails alone.
    Saying that, it is very nice to ride with people you like. It is especially nice to go back, remember, and talk about some of the epic rides you have share with firends.

13. butasan

butasan Member

Looks exactly my cat..

[​IMG]

14. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    My voice changes when I see cute. ;)
    OH. MY. GAWD!!
    What an adorable kitteh!!!!!!

15. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    reminds me of my cat...one of them at least. Wonder if mountain lions react to cat nip too :lol:
    [​IMG]

16. Crazygramma

Crazygramma New Member

medical technologist, retired
    This is quite a thread, full of good advice. I have ridden alone most of the time since getting my first mtb in 1988, including the Santa Ana Mountains. I figure it's much more dangerous to drive to the trailhead, than to ride alone! Of course I thought about it long and hard, but I don't want to be on my deathbed regretting not doing something because I had no one to do it with. It's better to do it alone than not do it. I take almost all the precautions mentioned in previous posts, except the gun. I know it's risky, but I choose the risk. Occasionally I choose to ramp it up a little by exploring new territory alone. I stay alert and ride conservatively. In all these years, I have had some 'situations' on the trail, but it increases my confidence to handle it alone. I also have a background in wilderness survival, simple bike problems, first aid, and dirty street fighting.

17. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Mountain biking is dangerous!

Yer Gonna Die!

[​IMG]

18. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    :lol:

19. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Trails that are generally safe when you ride solo:
    1. Mission Trails in San Diego,
    2. Ellie Lane Iron Mountain
    3. Goat trails Clara Burgess, Bernstrail, Murray peak, Superman.
    4. Hurkey
    5. Simpson be watchful for snakes and deviant people zipping up thier trousers as you approach though :)?
    6. SRP in Murrieta even though Jake got scared of a lion recently.
    7. The Farm in Wildomar.
    8. Vail
    9. STT to Luge just not in reverse ?
    10. 951
    11. Meadowbrook
    12. Fontana

Trails I'm glad I had a partner with me,
    1. Toro peak
    2. Slaughterhouse
    3. Wildomar Ohv
    4. Tenaja TT via Fishcamp
    5. Chiquito
    6. San Juan
    7. ATT
    8. Laguna trails unnamed
    9. Webster trail in Idyllwild the worst experience.
    10. Zion via Gabrielano
    11. Wintercreek
    12. Turnbull.

The above mentioned trails I either spilled blood had a mechanical or came in contact with an animal.

20. butasan

butasan Member

No matter how justify or rationalize, riding solo is risky.

But, would you want to be sitting in your room all weekend?

If none of your riding buddies is available riding with you.
    If you have absolutely no riding buddies.
    If you feel stressed to ride among others.
    If you don't want any riding buddies.

I take the risks and go riding SOLO.
    I ride solo 99% of the time unless somebody wants to join me. I even ride DH all alone.