Is riding solo risky?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quikflip27, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
  2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I hate riding solo. It always feels like someone is watching me. Most of the time I have a pocket knife, so that gives me a small sense of security. Most recently ordered a new knife, that will be straped to the shoulder on my Camelbak for quick acess. The blade is made by CRKT called "Bear Claw"

3. Brandy

Brandy New Member

Agreed. I've done three Blackstar/Motorway loop rides in the last month. Two on Saturdays and one on Christmas day. The only time I saw anyone else on that section of the Main Divide was last Saturday when two riders passed us just before Motorway. I don't think that section is as heavily traveled though.

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

When cats walk in teh snow, thre nails come out as they put their foot down.

Def NOT a DOG, I dont know of ANY dog that has a bigger paw than my hand

5. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT

That is messed up! So much for having friends. As in any group rides, no one should be left behind.

Most likely it's not a dog as you will see the track mostly on the trail.

Although great dane or bull masstiff both have paws bigger than my hand.

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yeah we were seeing a print like this every couple hundred yards or so, it was trailing WAY off th ebaten path. It isnt a dog print, I def know the difference between the two, and there is moer than a few documented big cats in AO area. Like I stated before in the thread... most have encountered a big cat, just never realize it. It was a fairly fresh print too.....ANyways, we are not making this a Mtn lion thread... I just wanted to share the pic, and mention to know your surroundings when you ride solo...

7. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Be careful what you seach for

The lattter search turns up "prints" that I can hang up on the wall. One of the photographic images for dogs is labeled
    "big cat paw". LINK :lol:

I'll give some credence to the idea that cats walk with their claws out in the snow (maybe ice?).

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Just remember to tell someone where you are going and when you are expected to be back, and call them when you are done.

9. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

i ride solo 100% of the time, other than seeing other riders on the trail. i am fine with riding solo and seem to have adapted to it as i can set my own pace, but have been looking to ride with a group to experience that greatness?

when you ride solo you just have to set your limits, if you do something stupid and end up unconscious, no one is there to help. In my case i think i have pushed my limits more than once but thankfully have not ended up in any situation were i would have needed the assistance or help from another rider, also the number one rule of thumb for me as a solo rider is to inform at least one person that i am going riding and where its going to be.

cheers for all the solo riders out there :beer:

10. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

No doubt mountain lions are out there, but I agree that this is probably a canine print. The palm is the wrong shape and too small compared to the toes, there's no "lead toe", and the claws are too fat. I could be wrong, though.

Kinda wish we had something better in the photo for size comparison other than the maple seed. 6-7" is almost unbelievably large for a cat. Sorry, I'm a skeptic at heart.

http://www.cougarsanctuary.org/tracks.html

[​IMG]

11. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Pet the Kitty?

Both times I saw cats were during group activities, and when we were spread thin8-[. The only time you will see them is if they do not know you are coming, otherwise they can pick up your scent and shadow for miles before lunch.

Statistically drunk drivers on the way to and from the trail head are more likely to be trouble. Adrenaline junkies doing road gaps, hand rails, and mach 3 rhythm sections know damn well it's no question of IF but When :lol:.

I think the risks involved make dating MUCH more terrifying than anything on 2 wheels.

12. downhiller23

downhiller23 RACE FACE RIDER

chrashing duh!
    if there was a the most popular thread election this would probably be the president of threads

13. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    I use to ride alone, but all of our night rides are with at least 4 or more riders.

14. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

Those crazy brits. :lol:

From the same article...

Meanwhile, police in the county were more concerned about a group of children who built snow walls up to 5ft high across busy roads. Officers – already stretched by a flurry of emergencies – were forced to clear several blockades in Grantham, Gosberton, Spalding and Deeping St James.

15. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    I ride alone almost as often as I ride in groups. Longest/most remote ride I've done solo is a Maple Springs/Motorway loop. Definitely go somewhere you're very familiar with and make sure there's plenty of daylight.

One thing I wouldn't recommend is riding at night solo. The first time I did this, I rode STT/Luge and I got the crap scared out of me by that noisemaker (heh). Then last night I rode up Blackstar with a friend and halfway down, the battery on my light ran out. It was a moonless night and if I was alone, the situation would NOT have been good.

16. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    Are mountain lions nocturnal? And about the attack at Whiting being caused initially by a heart attack...are mountain lions scavengers?

17. hookup

hookup New Member

I ride alone about half the time or more. I would rather ride with a group, but if I didn't ride alone, I would not ride as much. I just keep it mellow and do it. The only thing I would not do solo is a night ride......way too creepy for me.

18. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    so popular that it gets rehashed every other month. :lol:

maybe a sticky is in order--or combine this w/ the "mysterious search tab" thread.

19. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I think the inherent risks are the same whether solo or in a group. Having friends around isn't going to keep you from getting your eye popped out by a branch, smacking your head on a big rock or even breaking a wrist on a low speed tip-over.

Its what comes after the injury or what you do if things don't go as planned that make the difference.

I used to go backcountry skiing when I lived in Mammoth. Most of the guys I went with were ex-ski patrolmen, and had avalanche and first aid training. If you get buried in an avalanche, having friends around that are wearing beacons and trained in rescue and first aid could make the difference in being found right away, or during Spring run-off.

Not wanting to be the weak link in the chain, I learned about avalanche danger and search techniques, and took a Wilderness First Responder course to be proficient in improvised first aid.

Riding with other people can be more or less dangerous in the aftermath of an injury, or when lost, etc. It all depends on who you're with, and what they do.

PS: Another question, and one worth asking: How ready are "you" to help someone else if they get hurt?

20. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yeah I know, Shannon took the pic, I would have loved to put my hand naxt to it for the shot. It was as big as my hand, pretty impressive.

Remember this is in snow too, shot from an Iphone, so not the best pic.