Is riding solo risky?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quikflip27, Dec 28, 2009.

1. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    Just wondering how common it is for people to go out riding by themselves? I don't mean riding Whiting by yourself where you'll see a dozen or so other people, but rather something like riding the Main divide (on a weekday) where its just you and the elements. I know I went up Harding solo once, it's been the sketckyest (sp?) ride I've ever done. I had that feeling that someone was watching me the whole time and every sound seemed to echo in my head. What are the inherent risks of riding like this? I pack all my tools and tubes incase the worst happens, but what else? Any experiences?
    On a side note, I do like riding in groups, but theres not always a group doing the trail that you want to.
    Thanks for reading, happy riding :wave:

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Not if you're cautious.

Check out the rider down reports on STR. The worst injuries happen to someone who is not alone.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    A fellow mountain biker and a friend of mine was killed at Whiting riding alone. Any place is dangerous but I, like a lot of others will ride solo but it's not by choice for me.

4. i ride alone in the elements of May Valley "idyllwild" bout 150 miles a week! risky? you bet, it is always risky 2 ride alone, no cell service, miles from home, risk of crashing, etc..... as you mentioned "elements" mtn lions " i see tracks alot, this time of year more then EVER? " most the time i call a friend and let him know the route and the pace i'll be riding, the time im do home and call him when i return! riding alone has many many benefits, i think they outweigh the "risk"! thats my knickle.....

5. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I ride solo as often as possible.

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Solo is def riskier than with a group. If you do happen to get hurt you have noone to go get help....

7. Beegard

Beegard Member

Engineer
    Good post....I have the same concerns as you. I often ride alone and what I do is tell someone where I'm going, prepare as much as I can in the event of breakdown, and stay conservative on the downhill sections to make sure I don't crash.

8. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    I ride solo most of the time too. The scenario of having a mechanical at dawn-o-thirty or dusk-o-thirty is what most concerns me, nobody to watch my back. (guardian angel...Lord?)

Just cant forsake thee ol' pioneering spirit I s'pose.

9. devodoc

devodoc Member

I kind of enjoy riding alone sometimes. I am an early riser so sometimes it is hard for me to find people to ride with at that hour of the morning so I'll head out on my own. I find it very peaceful being out in nature without a bunch of hikers and riders to dodge. I used to be a lot more adventurous and try unknown trails by myself but I tend to be a little more selective these days as to what trails I'll ride alone; not because of the wildlife but because of the possible injury from a fall. I do travel out to Prescott and Vegas frequently and will try new trails by myself only because I don't know too many people out there but will leave a detailed itinerary with my family. Don't let the lack of riding partners stop you from enjoying this wonderful sport.

10. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    My only real concern riding solo is coming across an animal bigger and meaner than myself - which is a very real concern in remote areas.

On regular trails, I just ride more conservatively and be self contained - plus some.

11. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    I won't ride alone on the main divide, just not worth the potential danger.

But I'll do the luge loop and Aliso alone, there's usually a lot of people on those trails. If there's good weather I'll do Harding, Maple and Blackstar.

When riding alone I always let my wife know my route as well.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

[​IMG]

13. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    That's what "plus some" means in my book.

14. keoke526

keoke526 New Member

Navy
    Things I have learned and adapted over the years:

2 tubes, 1 patch kit, chain tool, master link, alien tool II, band aids and gauze
    3-5 ft of duct tape
    pepper spray
    knife 6" blade with firestarter striker rod in the handle
    emergency blanket
    1-2 energy bars
    1 bottle of water as a reserve to the camel back (over the bar scenario, bladder busts)
    ride slower in cliff areas (moab solo scenario)
    bear bell on the bike (never seen a mountain lion)
    cell phone and gps
    1 smile and full belly before

Last but not least use the bottle water and your socks so you don't get acussed of being the phantom popper

15. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

I think mountain lions are the least of your worries (statistically speaking)

But having a freak accident while riding alone on a remote trail and suffering a broken limb would really suck......don't ask me how I know....#-o

fotoss 100.jpg

16. kanga

kanga Active Member

Life itself is risky... and sometimes too short to wait for others to ride.

The risks of crashing are no different, and of animal encounters slightly elevated but still minimal. Not having anyone around to help you out if the worst happens is probably the biggest issue.

Carry a cell phone, a gmrs radio, and if you can afford it a SPOT gps locator. Make sure people know your proposed route and estimated return, check in with them when you get back, and then enjoy the solitude.

17. dats what im talkn bout!

hmmm was gonna mention none of my "solo" rides come with out ye ol' compact 380

18. Mike.the.Spike

Mike.the.Spike Member

Ride alone? I did it once, front wheel washed out and broke my collarbone. Stood up, my helmet was split open and I was dizzy. I was thinking I hope a mountain lion wasn't watching and coming down too tangle, no way I could fight it off with two arms let alone just one. Had to walk 7 miles out through loose/rocky downhill and a few creek crossings.

Had a mountain lion hiss at me when I stopped to adjust my seat for a hill climb. I passed by the same spot 4 times and didn't even know it was there, I'm sure it had watched me pass by all 4 times.

I won't be riding alone ever again.

19. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Imagine some of our Frontiersman who ventured across the great plains and our purple mountains of the Rockies. Ode to Jerimiah Johnson, Jim Bridger, Lewis and Clark, general Pike and other great scouts. I don't like riding alone though one reason is I know one of the paramedics that responded to the Whiting incident.

I lived in southern Colorado and hiked many fourteeners by myself. I know on two occassions I was stalked by a bear and a mountain lion.

20. DaBuDa

DaBuDa Banned

Student
    I can't help it but to ride by myself, I just moved here and don't know anybody that rides.. Riding in the Gabs didn't seem like a risk to me at all. Untill last month I crossed paths with a bear around Inspiration Point.. I haven't been anywhere near there since.. Which sucks because I'm missing out on some GREAT rides just in my backyard. (Eagle Rock)

But the BIGGEST reason I ride alone is, I don't know anything about the guy willing to ride with me.. And that my roomate keeps telling me I'm going to get rapped by some 40yr old guy in the bushes.