Road Ride Irvine to SD 8-21-10

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by SDstumpy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    Going to ride down to SD from Irvine. Meeting my wife down there because we are staying downtown SD Saturday night. I plan to leave Irvine train station by 7 am and want to get into downtown by 1pm. Anyone interested in a running a semi-fast paceline down the coast? I'd like to keep a good pace with minimal stops. I figure with a little help we could easily do this 87 mile ride in under 6 hrs with water breaks. There is a 12:55 and 3:00pm train that will take you back to Irvine for $22.

Here is the route. My ride time was 5:07 last time I did this so catching the 12:55 train is very doable.
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=27175

2. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I would be down if I didn't have a race on Sunday. Maybe once the race season is over, we could do it again.

3. rustin

rustin _

I'd like to go, but I'm not sure if I'm fast enough. Last time I did it solo I was doing about 18mph until Torrey Pines. What are you planning on doing?

4. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    If someone takes my shift sat night I'll do it. Will be a fun train ride home by myself in spandex lol

5. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    You'll be fine. I expect overall avg around 18 mph and around 20 mph on the flats. Should I expect to meet you at the train station at 7am?

6. rustin

rustin _

I live by Aliso Woods so I'd like to avoid going north and then coming back south. Can you meet me at the Starbucks on Niguel and PCH?

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Just an FYI for you folks, though I'm sure that none of you are at risk, the Irvine PD is out and admittedly "targeting cyclists" again. So, mind your Ps and Qs, don't use two headphones, stop at all signs/lights (well, you need to stop at the stop signs, others you can ride by), stay in the bike lane, blah blah blah. Luv yaz, have a great ride!