Irresponsible Equestrian

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chopper, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kanga

kanga Active Member

Yesterday I was out in Malibu Creek State Park for the post-Trails and Greenways Conference hike/bike/run/hoof event. We had five horses, about 14 mountain bikes and about four or five hikers, all moving together on the trail as a group, having some great conversation and enjoying the trails together.

But towards the end as we were coming down Tapia Spur singletrack, a hiker who was not part of the group started to cut a switchback 40 feet before the switchback and about fifteen feet from the upper to the lower trail. He chose to do that in front of the wrong group of trail advocates. We had riders/hikers/equestrians from Trails4All, CCCMB, SDMBA, CORBA, IMBA, Marin County Parks, Santa Monica Mountains Trails Council, a few ETI corrals and other groups. That person got a lecture like he's never had before, and I doubt he'll cut switchbacks again.

It's all about education. People often don't know the damage that cutting trail causes, and it's clearly not bicycles who are the biggest culprits on this damaging practice. Though there are places in the San Gabes where it has become common practice for DH riders. The "Chutes" is one such place. But I've not before seen an equestrian do it on purpose.

2. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
  3. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Actually, it seems that nothing constructive is coming out of this any longer. We just seem to be "beating a dead horse".

4. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    recap...angry people, fast bikes, i was here first, witches, horse poop, destruction, see what you started? haha

5. Flomaster

Flomaster New Member

I sell Fire Hydrants
    what an Epic read, is the white horse lady still roaming Oaks acting like a uptight witch?

-=Jason=-

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Yes. Her name is Susie and she's really sweet as long as you show her courtesy. She's a hoot once you get to know her. She's a long time resident of Orange (I actually know where she lives). She's use to having Oaks to herself; since the trail rework, she has had to deal w a lot of mtbers.

Please be pleasant w her if you encounter her and her horses. It just keeps peace amongst all us trail users.

7. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

My experience as well. I don't know her, but I've seen her a few times. Unfortunately, one of those times I was dropping in on Barham Ridge at the top and came around the first blind corner and there she was on her horse... I wasn't bombing the trail per se, but it wasn't ideal. She was expectedly startled, as was I, but I was courteous and apologized and she was ok. I try to be friendly, courteous, say something like "beautiful horse", be nice. I do yield whenever I see an equestrian even if somewhat far off. Some wave me on, some don't. But I figure it's in our best interest. The weekends are nutty and there are a lot more mtb riders than hikers, equestrians, and a lot of them don't know or care about being courteous--had a guy descend Oak (the used-to-b's) right into my line as I was climbing past the gate, making me stop and put a foot down. There are lots of jerks out there--drivers, bikers, equestrians, hikers; I just try not to be one of them and hopefully as many people as possible will do the same.

I was driving up Serrano a few weeks ago and noticed a couple equestrians climbing up the hillside, off trail; it looked like a white horse and a couple women riders, so it probably was her. She expects us to follow the rules and doesn't think she needs to, but I still believe it's in our collective best interest to do the right thing and yield.

8. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Yes, she is a real hoot. I just love the way she tramples the habitat. Bless her heart.

9. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty

Wasn't condoning what she does but she has come along way from the way she was.