Irresponsible Equestrian

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chopper, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    I had a somewhat unpleasant conversation with this woman today in Santiago Oaks. I'm sure some of you recognize her even with her face covered. Obviously she did not want her picture taken (admission of guilt?). She cuts the switchbacks, rides off trail, and today rode straight up the fall line on the Deer trail immediately after I asked her to PLEASE stay on the trail. I get a little tired of being told that mountain bikers are not sensitive to the local habitat and then seeing this totally irresponsible behavior from an equestrian.
    I will be contacting the county because I know that they know who she is and I want to see something done about it.
    The good news is, she did not ruin my ride but I sincerely hope that I ruined hers. I told her she was a disgrace to her sport and I think that hit a nerve.

Attached Files:

2. freezy562

freezy562 New Member

Did you steal her pants?

3. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I've seen that lady more than once. She loves harrassing MTBers in the park, and announcing VERY LOUD that her horse doesn't like bikes.....I think she purposefully comes out on weekends to heckle the bikers. Maybe now that she knows you took her picture she won't be such a pill. What a hypocrite.

4. emcil

emcil my wife no like me

Spring Maker
    Some people suck

5. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Oh, don't tickle the bear that is an equestrian - they are entitled and rich. (just kidding, except that entitled and rich thing)

6. Kimbilly

Kimbilly New Member

Home Page:
    From what I can tell she seems like the same lady I ran Into on deer. There were two ladies riding horses. The first one passes no problem. The second horse(who I believed is pictured here) comes wildly around the corner. The horse Comes incredibly close to bucking her off, only managing to lose her visor in the process. The horse then proceeds to stop and look directly at me while huffing and puffing. I was already dismounted when I saw the first horse and began to talk to the animal gently asking for his name.She said it was "Asshole" and I laughed. I picked up her visor and handed it to her. She looks completely flustered and hardly in control of her animal. After saying my goodbyes she continued up a cut trail on deer and dissapeared.

Therell always be people out there that'll ruin it for the rest of us. Horses and bikers alike.

7. strobe

strobe resident noob

Is there an actual law that requires you to yield to horses? Anybody know the code #? I still don't buy the arguement that horses are unpredictable, so, they get the right of way. If something is unpredictable, it shouldn't be sharing the same trail and putting anybody else in danger. The rider takes his/her own risk. My $0.02.

8. pikeman

pikeman Member

I'm always amazed at how quick some of you are with the camera! I never seem to have it where I can get or I don't think of it. Where do you keep it?

9. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    It's pretty clear no matter where you're from.

thumbnail-1.jpg thumbnail-2.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail-4.jpg thumbnail-7.jpg thumbnail-6.jpg

10. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Is there a ranger and some authority you can report this to?

11. strobe

strobe resident noob

Being a hiker long before biking, i am familiar with the signs. I always just considered it a courtesy thing. Which i've always done.

So, they can cite me and i would have to go to court over this? I guess if i had an unpleasant event like this one, i will be ready to talk to the judge. Cause i'm not going to pay without voicing the odd logic in allowing dangerous animals to share trails with humans and then make it my responsibilty to keep the animal under control.

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    A actual law that requires horses to yield? Probably not. If you do not know horses are unpredictable you have not been around them much. They are flight animals and when spooked they bolt. A leaf blowing across the trail is enough to spook them. Common sense would be a horse not ready for multi-use trails should not be in the Oaks. Sounds like she is a little bit off so we should keeping taking pictures of her off trail and submit them the the Park.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    In a pouch attached to the strap of my pack. I can get it out and use it while still riding.

14. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

I have seen this lady many times she does what she wants because it's her park and we don't belong there. tows a horse that is against the park rules . gives the stink eye to all.

15. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Not that quick. If I had been quick I would have gotten a picture of her riding up the fall line. As it happens, I encountered her later, passed her, stopped and got my iPhone out and took the picture. I really wish I had brought my camera this day.

16. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Like lightning with a camera, Steppie is. I've been mid-crash and he's already snapped a photo or two.

17. greo

greo New Member

Sales
    She is well known by park officials & I think her name is Sue or something like that. The Rangers have a file on her and do a write up on all her interactions so do tell them about it. Also, from what very knowledgeable “Equestrian” people I know have said, she has a lot of control over the horse but makes it seem like she doesn’t to justify her freaking out. Don’t risk it, yield, be nice but don’t get all bothered by her rants.

18. tortoise

tortoise Member

Horses are sooo 1800s.....

19. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    If this actually happens, PM me and I will represent you for free.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Ya beat me too it. Do report it.......they are very aware of her......but I have yet to see them take any actions.