Intersting News Regarding the Global Warming Debate

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dgaspar, Nov 21, 2009.

1. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Stop letting the media spoon feed you information and start thinking for your self. The Earth goes through undeniable climate cycles and co2 levels have been higher in the past(no scientist will argue that). So to think that all of a sudden it's our fault is very short sighted. If you go up to British Columbia you can see where glaciers carved out the rock durring the last "Ice Age" and that was thousands of years ago. There where no cave men driving around in Hummers back then to screw up the climate. Who do you think is more likely telling the truth, A scientist that is getting paid/grants by the GW advocates or a scientist that has nothing to gain? BTW a man who knows a thing or two about the weather, the founder of "The Weather Channel" John Colman has stated that, "Global Warming is the biggest scam in history" and that "Al Gore should be sued to finally put some light on the fraud of Global Warming"
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...-founder-global-warming-greatest-scam-history
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...under-sue-al-gore-expose-global-warming-fraud

2. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

What is unprecedented is the rate of change not the change in itself.

3. Uplander

Uplander Bring it!

Let's all get a life and go Ride

Chupacabra!!!!!, I though you were a Mexican Myth...... but you speak. :lol:(LOL)

Joking aside, scientist are human as well and their own personal views get in the way. Me for instance, if I was a brainiac scientist, and had to make a living, I would try and make my case by working on something that appeal to my own views, be it conservative or liberal. This debate is not over and there are just as many scientist on both sides making their case. Only problem here is that there is a 10 year cooling trend...... if it continues for another say, 2 yrs., 5yrs., 10yrs...... then what????

4. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Science has tried to dissprove my existence, but alas, Estoy Aqui

5. Uplander

Uplander Bring it!

Just don't show up for a night ride!

Duro!

6. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    Yeah surely spewing all sorts of exhaust, by products and chemicals being spewed into the environment has no effect and it's a natural cycle of the earth to deal with them. This is surely why pregnant women can't eat sushi for fear of too much mercury and why the polar ice caps are smaller than at any point in the history of the planet. These things are definitely natural and not caused by man. :rolleyes:

Oh and the tooth fairy is real and I talk to her every night before I go to sleep.

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Where's the proof of that? But even so, (Fact)the Moon is leaving the earths orbit buy 1 1/2 inches a year. This causes the Earth to spin slower which in turn makes for longer days and alows the sun to warm up an area for a longer period of time. But you never hear any one mention that possibility.:?:

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    That Silly International Scientific Community

^^^ uh...wouldn't that make for longer nights, too?

that's about as funny as the anti-seat belt, jack-booted thugs are going to knock down our doors comment. you guys are starting to sound like tom cruise when he pops a weave: "you, matt, don't know the history of psychiatry like i do!!!" and confusing 200 million year old plate tectonic history with global warming in the last century is just plain cute...if it happened in my 2nd-grade class.

it's just pure entertainment at this point. thanks for some good laughs today.

people will believe in immaculate conception and talking bushes, but not what the biggest, most educated brains on the planet believe. classic.

''when evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."--j. biafri

is there anybody here with a science degree that could lend a bit of reason to this thread? seeing none, i'm going to sleep...

:beer:

9. Man blong Gaua

Man blong Gaua Bike's Eye View

Land Surveyor
    Home Page:
    This is where education really could use a boost. If we can actually get kids to learn then they will be able to research the facts, much like you should be doing. It really isn't all that difficult to look up the scientific FACTS behind the figures. Most articles reveal the source of the information which you can then follow back to the results of an actual experiment or summary thereof. The experiment should list what the estimate of error is which tells you just how much reliability you can assign it. Happy researching. As for me, I've done the research and will do a lot more. Global Climate Change is occurring and according to real studies done by real scientists who published their projects for all to see: the world is getting warmer faster than before. Remember the world includes the oceans, landmasses, and atmosphere, so don't think that if one cools a little that all of them are.

10. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    nvm...like talking to a brick wall

11. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

12. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    You are absolutely right? The only people still in denial are the ones who think businesses and the free market will regulate themselves into polluting less..........or the ones who say "this planet was given to us by God to do with as we please." There are lots of "Christians" who are preaching to their children that global warming is some liberal propaganda (this is well documented if you want to check it out) that doesn't really exist...........madness...

13. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Ok, I am not a scientist just a deep thinker at times. All politics aside I have often wondered if there is enough scientific data to support or debunk the global warming theory. True we have decades or maybe even centuries of climate related data if we go back far enough through the historical records from the US and other countries. We all know the earth is very old, current estimates are billions of years if you believe science. I am also aware there is a growing belief that the earth is only thousands of years old. Yes there are millions of people that believe this due too not trusting the accuracy of carbon dating. I choose to believe that the earth is billions of years old.

Getting back on topic. Now as far as global warming is concerned, from my understanding, GW is a cycle and is either caused or accelerated by the use of fossil fuels, deforestation, and other industrial emissions. With that in mind all you have to do is look at the earth in certain places and you can see remnants of past climate changes, especially in some desert areas where you can still find ancient fish fossils. Being that there is no dedicated long term study of GW, at best we can only make an educated guess as to what impact we have on our planet. Ideally a study of thousands of years of data would be needed to tell precisely what type of impact we are having. The notion that man is causing a significant unnatural impact by adding thousands of tons of pollutants everyday to the environment does sound like it would definitely effect our climate. However it can be argued that massive brush fires, volcanic activity, and other natural events have much more of a significant impact even if man did not contribute.

imho, people do have an impact on the environment. The significance of the impact we have is highly debatable depending on what studies and data we choose to believe.

14. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/325/5944/1058-b

You guys talk about looking at facts, yet you can somehow ignore studies that contradict your opinion, to campaign for the cause that happens to be the hip cause to root for.

Again, I ask the question, if we are the ones solely causing global warming, what brought us out of the last ice age? What brought earth into the last ice age? Last I checked, there weren't humans on earth yet. Why do people stick their heads in the sand and ignore this and just look at the last few hundred years? That's insignificant to earth's history.

Scientists have been wrong before, and there is clearly not enough evidence and data to prove that we are causing global warming without being able to definitely explain the last major swings in climate that earth has gone through.

15. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    And the dinosaurs used crampons when they roamed over Antarctica.

16. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I just rode my bike to the store, and take the bus to work. Ignorance and intolerance present a much more ruinous threat to our species than trying to install catalysts on Volcanoes. If running my A/C in August kills a butterfly somewhere I'm not gonna sweat it.

17. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    Missed a word there. Almost any point is what I meant.

18. chuckie108

chuckie108 New Member

I wont enter the debate as I don't have the time to list my "sources", but here is the bottom line-

1) global warming is a scam. The science is flawed and supported through the control of grant money.
    2) The IPCC doesn't exist if global warming doesn't exist, and neither does their grant money. Expecting them to tell the truth on this debate would be asking them disband themselves- not going to happen.
    3) The emails have been confirmed as legit- the story is there if you look for it.
    4) Global temperatures have been fluctuating for many millennia- '97 was the highest recent peak- but there have been higher peaks and trends in the past. Ice formations have started recovering too and have shattered all the doom and gloom speculation in the last few years.
    5) Global temps are regulated by (are you sitting down?) sun activity. The science is out there and proven. Just look for it.
    6) Also influencing global temperatures is construction- concrete structures hold their heat much longer than terra firma. Recorded temps in major metros have gone up merely because the structure retain there heat longer.
    7) Any main street news outlet- NY Times, LA Times, etc. have lost any journalistic ethics and aren't a good source as far as the facts are concerned. The Nazi's believed their "newspapers" to.
    8 ) GWB is a D-bag. The fact that he supports the global warming cult is a blow to their argument IMO.
    9) Al Gore is an even bigger D-bag. He not only is the high priest of the Global Warming Cult, but a traitor to our country and people. His motivation is greed and power, and he doesn't care how many americans lose their jobs/lively hood in the process. This is just another step in his mission to kill our economy(NAFTA being his early triumph). The fact that his personal carbon foot print continues to be 10 times the average american is further proof that he is a liar. The open and admitted fact that he will profit from this scam to the tune of billions eliminates any credibility.
    10) CO2 is what all plant life survives off of on this planet- including the Diatoms living in our oceans. It is one of the four basic components to the life cycle- the other three being water, oxygen, and sunlight. To say we have too much CO2 is ridiculous and violates common sense at a minimum(BTW- CO2 makes up .035% of our atmosphere- if you doubled it it still wouldn't be a tenth of one percent!).
    11) To control the money, the power, the media, the government, and public opinion is one thing. To tax and control the gas you're exhaling right now as you read this is down right nutty! What comes after "Cap and Trade"? Needing a "pollution" license to ride your MTB because all that heavy breathing is killing the planet? Sounds crazy, but it could happen. We already have enough of a fight because we're "scaring the environment" with our trails. The same environment that gets zero consideration when there's a profit to be made by putting houses on it.

The good news- the sun is a all time sun spot minimum- we are going to have a very cold next 5-10 years which will hopefully shine the light :) on this situation.

We better hope and pray this people start waking up.
    ):):):):):):):):):):):)

19. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    I don't even know where to start with this madness.

20. Hoosierdaddy

Hoosierdaddy I Drink Therefore I Am.

School Bus Mechanic.
    The Most Stupid thing I've Heard!

You make it sound like they've been measuring the ice caps for so long! Reality check here, maybe they have been keeping records for oh I don't know, maybe 100 to 150 years on the size of these ice caps. That's a drop in the bucket as far as I'm concerned. Now if you could go back a few thousand years and give me some data I might be a little more inclined to believe you!

You make it sound like they've been keeping these records since the start of time, NOT TRUE! You may not have the intelligence to figure this out on your own, maybe one of your Scientist can explain it to you.

How do you know that these ice caps weren't excessively large when they first started measuring them and they are just now getting back to NORMAL SIZE? You don't, and neither do your so called Scientist. Things go through cycles, just like the drought we are experiencing, we'll pull through.

As far as Chuckie108, he sounds like someone that can think for Himself! It wouldn't hurt you to do that sometime, you might surprise yourself. :wave: