Intense Uzzi VP: Rate my build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuffshredman, Oct 7, 2009.

1. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    What's a Stinger? Initially I was gonna run an E13 bash, but The Path said it wouldn't work with the config (perhaps the XTR cranks were the issue).. so we switched to the Gammut.

Is the Stinger one of those chain retention systems for a dual chain setup, like the E13 DRS?

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

You're going have to be creative to get a chainguide to work on there properly. The E13DRS will not work. The new Gamut dual ring guide will not work. I have a BlackSpire Stinger on mine but it took a lot of grinding to make it work. It may pay to look at Denmo's set up though. She said her mech was able to make it work without grinding. I'm curious as to how.

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

No, it's a dual ring chain tensioner made for 2 rings. http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0

4. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

Just looked at the site... they list three configs:
    ISCG, ISCG'05, BB-Mount, BMX ...

I'm guessing it would use the ISCG one?

Denmo, did you have to do any grinding?

Also, has anyone had issues without one? I have the Santa Cruz VP Free with a dual ring and E13 bash but no chain retention system, and never had a derail or slap issues... maybe I'm not riding hard enough :)

5. denmother

No grinding necessary. And yes, I had major chain slap issues and major chain dropping. I ride a lot of high speed technical trails and the more active the bike is the more often the chain will either skip from the middle to small chain ring, or all the way off the small chain ring.

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

It's ISCG 05

I never tried mine without the chain guide

7. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

I have seen Uzzi VP's with e13 DRS. I got mine to work on my SS, but had to do some grinding as well as use spacers. Here is a picture of an Uzzi with DRS.

Should be ISCG '05. But you could also use BB style instead of ISCG tabs. You should just let Path deal with it, since it is tricky to install it if you haven't done it before.

Attached Files:

8. CalEpic

CalEpic member

That's good news on the DRS. I was told it was a no go.

I would shy away from a BB mount guide - if you do any steep rollers, the guide will hit causing it to rotate. I've already hit mine several times along with the lower link

9. denmother

The last time I checked with The Path, they had not succesfully installed a dual ring chainguide on an Uzzi. If that has changed, someone please let me know!!!

10. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

Not sure about Path, but from what I remember when I talked to the guys who had the DRS on their bikes (back when I was thinking about getting an Uzzi), you need to use the older flat lower pivot bolts (you can get these from Intense). They sit flush against the lower link. You don't use the c-clips obviously. You still might need to do some grinding.

Here is another picture of an Uzzi with the e13 DRS.

Probably the best person to talk about this is Philip from e13 if you are really interested. Just call him up. He knows his stuff.

Attached Files:

11. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    Like CalEpic, I've tried a number of different options. First tried the Stinger, both in BB mount and ISCG 05. Never could get it to rotate back far enough to be doing much good, particularly with the 32/22 front ring setup I'm using.

Next I tried the e.13 DRS ISCG 05. Did a bunch of grinding and cutting, but still couldn't get it where I wanted it and also ran into interference with the granny bolts on my XT cranks.

Most recently, I contacted Gamut about their new VPP2 guides that have a flush mount lower pulley (see photo below). I got a P30 single ring guide, which I've been using on the Uzzi with a 36t single ring at the first two Winter Series races. It's fantastic. I highly recommend it to 951 owners. It clears the lower link no problem and is easily rotated into the correct position with no grinding or swearing.

I also picked up Gamut's new dual ring guide. It has the same flush-mount lower pulley bolt as the VPP2 P30. I couldn't get it to work. It would take a ton of grinding/cutting and even then I wasn't confident it wouldn't interfere with the granny bolts, so it's going back.

FWIW, mounting a dual ring guide on this bike is much more problematic than the Slopestyle. The lower link hangs down lower on the Uzzi and ends up right in the same location as the lower pulley on most dual ring guides.

Gamut VPP2 guide:
    [​IMG]

12. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    In that photo, the guide pulley is rotated so far forward it's barely doing any good. I can't imagine the chain even touches it while in the granny ring and only has minimal contact in the middle ring. In addition, it's hanging down below the bashguard, which is a long way from optimal in my opinion.

13. denmother

Just curious, are the pictures from MTBR? Are there any threads on the subject? I checked e.13's website and they do not have the Uzzi listed.

14. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

I could never get the DRS to be at or above on my SS or Uzzi VPX as well, unless I used a 36T or 38T bashguard. I guess these guys forced it to fit, thinking better to have it than not. Maybe Hammerschmidt is the way to go on this frame.

15. CalEpic

CalEpic member

ISCG 05 Blackspire Stinger mounted on the Uzzi. It took some work but it can be done. I have never dropped a chain with it on there.

Attached Files:

16. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

Just thought I'd bump the pickie

[​IMG]

17. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    Very nicely done.

PS I have a bb mount DRS sitting in the garage. It's been ground on a bit but you're more than welcome to play with it, use it, or just get an idea what to do if you haven't made that decision yet.

18. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

I appreciate the offer. I think I will do a bit of riding and see how things go. If slap-drop is an issue for me, I'll prob try the Stinger... maybe I'll get to peek at Denmo's on an Intense outing to check it out in person.

Thanks for all the input!

19. denmother

FYI, I had to move my chainstay protector (you need a really long one to protect the entire thing) all the way forward. Most of the slap and damage is done at the very front of the chainstay.

20. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

By the way, did Path put it on the scale? How much does it weigh?