Insomnia- What's your cure?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by nerdgirl, Sep 25, 2009.

1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

2am hell, I was posting at 3am and I had just gotten home from a ride, we didnt start till 915. It was great.....no lights, three hours of riding, slept like a baby after I check posts here.

2. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    tks for the tips! we'd been home for awhile & no, unfortunately no ride to speak of. went to california adventure for mickey's halloween treat & got home around 2300. if you read my OP, i mentioned an extra bold fredo (peet's version of a frapuccino i think) that i drank starting at 1830. i'm super sensitive to caffeine, so i can't say it was truly insomnia, although i'm not really positive on the correct definition (can it be chemically induced inability to sleep?).

no beer nor ambien (already have my Rx for it, tks!!), but i did have some spinach and feta cheese raviolis leftover from dinner and grape koolaid!

i didn't stay in bed 'frustrated about it'. i never do. i don't have that kind of patience! i got up on signed on here & cleaned house a bit (just looked for ish to get rid of, nothing too vigorous).

i just wish there were more of you online lastnight to keep me entertained! haha!

no go out and RIDE!!! :wave:

3. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Thats it........... NO MORE 24HOUR TIMES!!!!! I escaped from that years ago. The flashbacks are bad enough when I hear revelry every morning at 7am from March AFB, seeing it in print is giving me nightmares!!!!!

Oh yeah, on that note.....SEMPER FI!!!

4. Tawcoma26

Tawcoma26 Re-Member

The way I fix my insomnia is...

stay awake for one day and fall asleep the time I want to start sleeping at.

tada

5. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    Do books read by Morgan Freeman work better? ;)

6. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

I'm really surprised the insomnia thread is so old. I used to be totally insensitive to caffeine, but I had a cup of coffee at 5, and I'm wondering if that's what's keeping me up.

7. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Any job stress? That is usually what keeps me up. A friend suggested keeping a note pad next to bed. It works. I make a list of the stuff that's on my mnd and I know it will be there ready for action first thing in AM. Seems to clear my mind and let me fall asleep.

8. ThatsRight07

ThatsRight07 New Member

I find that I have trouble sleeping when Im worried about going to sleep. If the clock say 1:00am and I have to wake up at 5:00 or 6:00 anxiety will creep in and Ill start to worry about how crappy my day will be with such little sleep. What I found works best is to start relaxing an hour or two before bed. No tv just relaxing, breathing exercises, meditation, even a book. when all else fails I take benadryl it works wonders

9. crazysue

crazysue New Member

AP & Parts in a Motorcycle dealership
    Home Page:
    Sleepy Time tea with Valerian root.

10. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    Sex is no good for me and insomnia. I become more awake and alert and go on Owl patrol (picture wide eyed, and cooing)

I just go with it. For me, there are two types of insomnia; you're very tired and cannot sleep and the wide awake, oouta sinc with your routine insomnia. For the first, I would lie in bed and try to rest. But now, I use solution #2 and that is to just go with it. Be awake even at the expense of the next day. I won't miss work but I sure will be more tired and ready for sleep the next night.

Longest run I've had with little to no sleep unintentionally is about 10-12 days. Usually, it just lusts up to 4 nights for me.

11. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

Internet, TV, and videogames keep me awake. I think it's the artificial light tricking my internal clock. Sometimes if I have to go to sleep for a ride or something I take just a little bit of melatonin. Not too much as you can get a tolerance too it quickly and inhibit your ability to produce it on your own.

12. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    nyquil on the rocks. For when your feeling sick but socialable.

:bang:and by socialable I mean the 20ish minuets you get before the mini coma. lol

13. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Reading at night or vigorous exercise during the day works best for me. Probably why homework was so difficult for me in school.

My problem is that my sleep clock is totally off from taking care of a family member.

I go to sleep around 5-6am and wake around Noon to 2pm.

I've been trying for 2 months to get back to a "normal" clock cycle but it usually only lasts for a few days before I end up being wide awake all night again. I've missed more great rides in the last couple months than ever because of it.

I did get my clock on cycle for an entire week when we went on vacation in Feb. to the Central Coast.

I've taken Benadryl and some over the counter sleep aids and they work. But I stopped because I just don't like the idea of taking meds.

14. ThatsRight07

ThatsRight07 New Member

yup that works great too.

15. Schwetty

Schwetty Wheezer

This ^ plus 91.5 fm (KUSC classical 24 hours a day) on the radio with the volume really low so that you almost have to concentrate to hear it.

16. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    That is an almost sure sign of anxiety. Your brain won;t stop asking itself questions right? Just keeps spinning in circles. I do the same thing with the radio and it seems to distract me enough that the two neutralize themselves and I'm out.

It would be interesting to survey the people on this thread and see what kind of lives they live, what is the common denominator to sleeplessness.

For me...job. Too much to do and not enough time to do it. Lot's of people looking at me for directions.

17. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Two double IPA's and a bong hit! Works like a charm. :beer:

18. freeriderock

freeriderock New Member

A bowl or two.

19. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
  20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    History Channel is like the best sleeping pill I've ever had. Even if I'm really interested in the subject I nod off.

Friday I went to the dentist to get fitted for my tooth and they novacained me up. I know that stuff doesn't make you sleepy but I went out and the next thing I remember is the dentist aide telling me I was snoring.