Inner tube is the answer?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by rc23, Mar 6, 2014.

1. rc23

rc23 New Member

Hello,

I have very similar question on the previous thread but i am going post here since i could not find my answer by reading all replies.

I have similar question on running tubeless setup, on my rigid ss 29er i ran tubeless since the beginning because lbs did it for free when i purchased new bike.
    i ran 22 front 24 on the back and i weigh 170lbs 5'11 high.
    from little over two feet side jump, both tire burp(?) and i went down to the side ground. front and back tires had very little air left after the fall. maybe i landed off balance...but i don't think i did...it was really not a jump...:?:
    i heard some rubbing sound when edging corners but didn't pay attention, if i can recall the sound... it was something like rubbing (maybe beads/treads)

I ran everything stock below. i really need low psi grip for 11% or higher elevation and to absorb little impacts for not having any shocks...

inner tube is the answer?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/crave/crave-sl-29#specs

thank you!!!

2. ejhorn

ejhorn Member

Grad Student in Chemistry
    If you set your wheels up with tubes as opposed to tubeless you will have to run higher tire pressure (<30) or else you will run the risk of pinch flats (where upon impact the rim pinches and cuts the tube, resulting in a completely flat tire).

I think it is probably not very likely you burped both tires at the same time. Did you check the tire pressure before your ride? Maybe you have a slow leak in the tires and they were loosing air from the start? If the bike shop set them up tubeless recently, it usually takes a little while tire for the sealant to fill all the tiny little holes in the tire. 22 is on the low side though.

3. rc23

rc23 New Member

the sealant residuals came off and got stuck on the side of tire here and there 2~4 inches long 3 of them, front and rear.
    i took it to the shop to see if the sealant needs to be filled more or not.
    i will run little more air in the tire. i though i could run little less air for tubeless. i didn't check the psi before i ride, i will make sure always check the tire pressure before i ride...
    thank you

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

Let me start off with- No tire pressure will ever replace suspension. I used to ride my SS rigid with high volume tires. Maxxis Ardent and Vee Rubber Mission. Both 2.4 @ 24lbs front and rear. Just not even close to suspension.

I'm about 165-170 geared up. I use tubes and have only pinch flatted twice last year. Once because i was running about 20-22lbs on a lower volume Icon. I fear burping more than a pinch flat because of the instantaneous loss of A LOT of air.

Basically, if you want to run 24-26lbs for traction, you should be able to run tubes and be fine. You might have a pinch flat or puncture, but, i carry tubes everywhere regardless. If you're running that pressure for dampening, there's not much difference between 24 and 27lbs. At least i couldn't perceive any dampening affects. You may even reduce the possibility of burping at 26lbs.

5. rc23

rc23 New Member

Thank you:)

6. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I'd be pretty nervous running 22psi on almost anything tubeless just for the fear of burping. I tend to run ~28psi on my rigid, which seems to strike a balance between compliance and traction.

What tires are you running? A high volume tire with low pressure could have been rolling over somewhat, giving you that rubbing sound while cornering.

7. wheeler

wheeler Member

You guys are maybe running the wrong combo. On my rigid SS I am running Stan's rims with Special Ed 2bliss tires. Not one flat / burp ever with this combo. 22 psi front and back. Freaking awesome.

8. Pilas

Pilas Member

I keep mine around 28 psi also. Anything below 25 makes the tires feel too soft, especially when cornering. I use Ground Control tires in my SS and Fast Track in my FS bike. It may also have to do with the type of tires. I'm sure that there are tire/rim combos out there that work fine at lower psi...