Injury Stories

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Waldo, Apr 27, 2007.

1. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

you didnt before?

2. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    X organ doner.............

3. llopez71

llopez71 New Member

student
    on "easy rides" i would just wear a cap for the sun....big mistake though when i fell @ the fully loop...

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    OMR - What bikes were you riding when you crashed?

5. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I have a whole book of injuries and story's to go with them.
    I don't know where to start.

6. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Now you did it lets go ride . :cool:

I went yesterday and they are waiting on the approval for the MRI then they said they will have more info for me. I'm ready to try though. I almost went tonight
    and did the loop.

7. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Broken bone in right foot(soccer during jr high PE)
    Dislocated left shoulder(bmx)
    Broken right coller bone(moto x)
    Broken index/middle knuckles(moto x)
    Shattered left wrist(work)
    Torn cartlige left knee(softball)
    Broken right foot(02 Angels divisional playoff win)
    Sprained left ankle(02 Angels divisional playoff win)
    Broken right thumb(mtn bike)
    Torn tendon sheath on right middle knuckle(mtn bike)
    Sprained neck(mtn bike)

countless ankle spains(softball) and stitches from cuts(work related)

Not even close as impressive as Sars but who could compete w/ that Dosea(sp?)

8. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Was riding a FS Chuck on Strawberry Peak and a SC Blur Classic on McGill... The Chuck never was the same after that. It developed the famous seat tube creak. The Blur's just fine.

OMR

Grasshopper Jason: Start where ever journey begins... at the beginning. I'm interested.

OMR

9. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    My Injury Story/Stories

Ok so heres my injury story...

One time i went bike riding and i came home in one piece
    hahaha
    i';ve yet to come back with anything major
    ive only fallen 3 times
    the first time i hhit a slick spot and somewhat scratched my elbows
    then at mammoth this past weekend i endo'd on chain smoke and got nothing
    then same day at mammoth i cased the step up on velocity and started to endo, upon saving it i brought my rear end of my bike down sideways and rolled, flipped, and tumbled about 20 more feet until i slid to a stop in the pumice
    and yea i have the tiniest marks on my elbows
    they are too small to even call scabs
    but those are my "injury" stories :)
    now i have to keep from doing anything major :bang:

10. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    My injuries Pt1: Scars on the right upper arm and thigh

Road riding in 1988 with some buddies in Wales. Earlier in the day we were racing cars down the Horseshoe Pass and I carried too much speed into a hairpin bend and with a car coming the other way it looked like curtains. Luckily my turning radius at that speed carried me jsut past the rear of the very solid looking volvo so I sailed onto the wrong side of the road to meet nothing - phew!

Fast forward to after a lunch of fish, chips and mars bars and we're on the rollers heading towards the rather worryingly named 'Worlds End'. My friend Russ over cooks it coming over the brow of a hill and to the distant cry of '5hiiiiiiit!' he disappears into a hedge but is relatively unhurt
    The road we're on is an old drovers trail and as such is J-u-s-t wide enough for 2 cars. At the top of the pass the road descends of perfectly smooth asphelt for a good few miles. So I'm pedalling flat out in the big ring trying to catch a car in front that is taking the bends alot slower than I am. I make it past then come into a blind right hand bend with a big drop to the right lined by a barbed wire fence. Leaning into the corner, knee down, middle of the road and there's an old lady hobbling over to the fence (WHY??????!!) so I have to make a snap decision to swerve to the left and nearer the drop/fence or take a chance and go to the right (drive on the left in the UK) - I go right and a car comes round the blind bend. Somehow I flick the bike left and dive between the old woman and the front of the car and miss both but now realise I cant avoid either the barbed wire fence and going over the edge. I manage to turn a little but the bike slams into one of the fence posts at about 45 degrees. I get thrown forward onto the barbed wired fence and dragged along it. When I come to rest I'm 'attached' to the fence by the barbs and have to have my friend pull me off. Front fork was bent back till it was almsot touching the down tube. Wheel was totally unbuckled (!!) stress crack in the down tube jsut below the lower bearing cup. I ended up with multiple lasserations across my right side - the scars look kind of cool. 8)

11. papisimo11

papisimo11 I Support Darwin

This past May, the 20th to be exact I went out on a training ride with my trusty SS. I decided to go up El Paseo on a brilliant day. Was cruising up EP and decided to go down Backbone to the J.
    Got to J Drop and started picking my way down. I ride this trail a lot so I know it well(the previous day had ridden there). Came to the steep sharp right hand switchback before the root garden and swung high for a fancy line. My left bar clipped a branch. For some weird reason my right foot couldn't unclip. I basically went "timber" for a nice 8-9ft smashing on my right hip. I went down HARD!
    Felt some burning in my right pelvis/upper thigh area. It hurt really badly. I gathered myself(my right forearm had huge cut). I tried to stand and couldn't. The pain was really bad. No going up the trail that's for sure. No walking down. So I tried to ride..and somehow cleared the drops, tripoding a lot, and made it to Rustic Canyon.
    The bottom is somewhat flat so I pedaled(the right leg was really hurting and my pedal stroke felt weird, like my leg was longer). Managed to slowly pedal up to Sulli Ridge.
    Said to hell with it(the pain was a 9/10) and cruised to Sunset. Basically rode home 5 miles.
    I couldn't walk from the garage to the house. Bad sign. My girlfriend was home so she helped inside and whatnot. I thought maybe it was dislocated or slightly separated. The pain was somewhat ok when off of it.
    Had a beer, watched the penultimate episode of the Sopranos and decided that the pain was way too much at that point.
    Doc said the leg was broken. Femoral neck was broken. Leg was longer. He showed me. Looked unreal. Surgery the next day. 3 ti screws inserted and a nice helping of pain for the next 2 1.5 weeks.
    It was tough. It was probably the longest walk of my life from the car(coming home from the hospital 3 days later) to the front door using my walker. No cast for this type of injury. It took everything I had to make it.
    Started PT at the beginning of June. Three times a week pushing myself in all kinds of pain.
    I was able to spin on my trainer for 10 minutes on the 28th of June. I moved from a walker to a cane.
    My spinning went from 10 to 45 minutes by the following 3 weeks. Kicked the cane(Doc said to) after 2 weeks but had a really bad limp. My girlfriend even said I walked funny.
    Started walking my dog like a mad man. Got rid of the limp.
    My leg exercises became really intense at therapy.
    August 1st my therapist said to go on a 1hr road ride. I was walking on WATER!!
    That first ride felt funny. I rode my mtn bike on the road just to feel more secure. After about 20 minutes I starting feeling the mojo. That is all I needed. I gave a test to my body and my body said bring it on!!
    To make this long story short, I'm done with therapy and riding hard again. I never realized how much I loved riding until this happened. Hasn't been more than 3 weeks since 93 with out riding.
    MEDICINE IS DEFINITELY AN ART. Many thanks to my girlfriend, therapist, doc, family, and friends.
    To OMR: I can't believe you have lived to tell of that fall. Insanity.
    paz afuera

12. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Papi, You should have called me. I still have my walker, cane, etc. all in the garage and could've loaned it all to you. Oh wait, I threw the walker away as soon as I could stand without it...never mind!

You're the man! Nice fighting spirit and motivation. I wonder if the herbal treatment helped motivate you some. You'd think not but who the fock knows.:)

Glad to hear you're recovering well; you're the man! Good job, brah.:clap:

13. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Wow! I feel very fortunate after reading some of these stories. I crashed a few weeks ago in Big Bear and ended up with a concussion. My immediate injuries were a very swollen face (since I landed on my head), with a lot of scrapes to my neck and minor abrasions to my arm and knees.

Those were apparent immediately after my crash. Later I discovered I had suffered whip lash to my neck, multiple bruises that showed up a week later, numbness to my knees, bruised tendons in my leg and arm (which is so painful when barely bumped).

I guess I was out of it for about 3-4 minutes and do not remember total of about 45 minutes.

CAN SOMEONE HELP FILL IN THE BLANKS...Cus I really don't know exactly what happened to cause so much injury to my knees.

Anyway, the good news is that I saw the doctor yesterday and he gave me the go ahead to start riding. I still have pain in my neck when I try to turn it too much, and one knee (actually the part of the leg right above the knee) is still numb and very tender. But I'm looking forward to being back on the bike this weekend.

Thanks to all that helped me,
    Dino, Ann, Bryce, Allison, Justin, Jeff, Tim, Nancy, Roger, and all others I can't recall, but only because of my injury.

14. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    I've done a ton of damage to myself w/o breaking a bone...

Flash back to HS, PE class, softball, Im behind a folding backstop, follow through swing hits me smack on my mouth... Knocked out spitting up major blood... result 12 stitches

Lost balance walking on rock cliffs in Newport, fell forward and down a 15ft cliff slowing my fall by smacking and cutting my head against the rocks and ripping up my knee...

Skateboarding, 50+ MPH down ramp, board stops, I dont.... result, hole in knee bigger than a quarter ground to the bone... matching hole in my elbow but smaller.

Work place injurys... holding a shelf while sanding with a beltsander, sander drifts into my arm and slices me open with the edge of the belt...

Cutting 2x4's to crate up a model, woods not fully cured, binds on table saw blade and gets thrown back at me.... result, finger gets sucked into blade and cuts about 1/8" into tip

routing parts for wine racks Im building, router bit grabs end grain and tosses piece away.... result, finger gets sucked into rotating bit...

More coming soon...

15. Hanzo

Hanzo .

It would take awhile but if I go to El Moro tomorrow I will try to fill you in on the knock out, which side you landed on and the whole snoring incident.:)

16. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

The hit's just keep on comin'....

11.9.06 - going to the bank on my supermoto. Front end slipped, I went down at about 20mph, slid into oncoming traffic, got ran over by an Iveco box-van (5-ton GVW).

7 pelvic fractures.
    3 lumbar fractures.
    Rt shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee did an in-and-out.
    Mashed Rt thigh and sciatica nerve (sp)
    Mashed Rt foot.
    Mashed ribs.
    Lotsa tire mark bruises....basically black and purple on my rt side.

6 weeks no walking, in a wheel chair.
    6 weeks in a walker faking it.
    3 weeks on a cane.
    Two neighbors literally picking me up, setting me down on my roadie set up in a borrowed trainer to try to pedal to get blood going in dead rt leg.

Rt leg is now half inch longer than left. Came back about 60% or so ,not too gimpy. Sit bone is all weird now. Hip socket is toast. No metal or screws.
    I almost gave up, friends stepped up and made sure that didn't happen.

Second time since '01 I've been hit. Last time before the above was walking across the street, getting knocked 40' out of my shoes, hit and run in the rain. Cost me my Expert license and ultimately quit training/racing in '02 due to pain. Raced a few cameo's in Sport that season and did ok but it got to be too much w/o drugs. Pain pills are a no-no in racing, at least in my book. And whats the point, I've already raced Sport, pain wasn't worth it. Wasn't fair to others moving up to Sport either. I'd had my fun.

It's been almost a year since I've last Danced with Death. For some reason, he missed my helmet. Had he gotten me there, I'd not be typing this here. Or pedaling.

Never quit, never give up.

Every Ride is a Gift.

17. tbowren

tbowren New Member

Wow these stories are amazing.

I guess I never noticed this thread before because I had never been seriously hurt on my bike and didn't plan to. (So much for that plan)

I'm almost 2 months into recovering from a smashed shoulder and can finally tool around the front of my house on my bike ( please don't tell my wife :) )

I have a lot of respect for all of you who have come back to the dirt and ride as hard as ever. As bad as the physical pain has been from rehab, the mental pain and fear of falling again is almost worse. I suppose it is a "one day at a time" and "take it slowly" situation, but I feel very fearful when thinking about going down some of my favorite descents again. I know I'll be back on the dirt again soon, but when you see a guy with body armor on during the Counting Coup, that will be me.

Your stories are truly inspiring.

18. EMrider

EMrider New Member

I'm interested that several posts here mention having switched to or focused on MTB riding after getting injured on a motorcycle. Dirtbikes have been my primary interest for years and I'm recently back into riding the MTB. The lower speeds involved in MTB do appeal to me from a safety standpoint. But I've got to balance that against the thinner layer of protection I wear when riding the bike. On the dirtbike, every inch of skin is covered and I've got multiple layers of protection and various braces. In comparison, I feel darn near naked on the bike. If I go down hard there is fare more exposed when I ride a bike. That is a good incentive to keep it under control. I'm going to invest in some pads and see how I feel wearing them when I ride, or at least descending. Just throwing this out because it raises questions about which activity is really safer. Now riding a motorcycle on the street, that is a different matter entirely.........

Rob

19. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I rode skateboards for about 23-24 years. After breaking my right ankle/foot 5 times I gave it up ( some what) for mountain biking. My last break, my foot slipped of the edge of a curb, rolled my ankle and my tendons went snap. I could feel my muscles moving but my foot stayed still. Plus broken teeth ( missing 5 front top teeth), collar bone brakes, a punctured esophagus ( feel neck first into a 90 degree corner of a hand rail),broken ribs, folded over backwards while diving for the diving team at school ect......... I love my mountain bike!!!!!

20. Acadian

Acadian New Member

well I've broken a lot of bones since, but my worst injury was back in 2002 when I fractured my right heel while dirt jumping.

After my accident I had to wait 1.5 weeks before getting surgery. my foot was too swollen to allow my Orthopedic surgeon to perform surgery. The surgery was close to 6 hours long and took on big plate and 9 screws to set everything back into place.

This accident was a wake up call for me. I had never broken any bones before this accident, so I figured they would simply put it in a cast and off I would go. But when I visited the orthopedic surgeon he said it was bad...real bad! When I laughed and told him "well, it's not like you are going to cut my foot off or anything?" and he replied "well, to be honest, it's always a possibility" I almost past out!! I had to lie down on his observation table – that’s how weak I got.

I was on crutches for the entire summer and was not allowed to put any weight on it that entire time. Plus it was hard because there are so many things I couldn't do, like carry food, get in the shower, driving, etc…So many things you take for granted. That summer was hard – all my buddies were riding while I was confined to my bed. Since childhood I've always been super active and can't sit still for a long period of time - heck it's hard for me to just go to the movies even with my girlfriend!!!

I worked hard once I got the okay and did my own PT. I made a miraculous recovery. Even the Dr. is baffled. He still doesn't understand why I didn't have any pain throughout the entire ordeal! He said these brakes hurt A LOT and FOREVER! You also usually loose a lot of lateral movement in your foot, but got 90% of it back. I'm super thankful...but I think it all has to do with your will power. I was ready to do ANYTHING to get back on the bike!

To this day it still hurts not and then...but I'm just glad I can ride again :bang: This accident is also one of the reason why I stopped racing and don't ride clips (the unclipping motion is the only movement that hurts my ankle).

here is an x-ray of my foot...to this day the metal is still in there
    Toes are this way <-----------
    [​IMG]