Injury Recovery: Your Story

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Sailor Ripley, Jun 18, 2009.

1. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Territory Marketing Manager
    UPDATE:THREAD JACK

I got on the bike and rode for about an hour around my neighborhood yesterday. ROM is good but the arm cant bear alot of weight and was achy afterward. Felt good just to pedal.

2. randalnelson

randalnelson Member

sales rep
    its my right collar bone
    post updated

3. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Shattered right hip/femur in '91.Off work and bike for 2-1/2yrs.In '07 was sideswiped by a car at Bonelli Park.18 stitches in right arm and a hematoma in right hip.Off bike and work for 3 weeks.-Lloyd :wave:

4. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

I had a similar break and surgery a couple years ago. Distal collarbone fractures are a bitch to heal. I was out of the game for about four months. Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time getting better. Healing vibes to you.

Two weeks ago I rebroke the c-bone, but it snapped at the end of the plate toward my chest rather than the shoulder, so I'm thinking it should heal more quickly this time around. The old hardware was removed last Tuesday and replaced with a longer plate. Hoping to start physical therapy in another three weeks, but we'll have to wait and see.

The rest of my injury resume:
    Broken femur skateboarding four and a half years ago -- mucho metal in my hip and a looooooong recovery
    MTBing stuff: Dislocated shoulder, dislocated elbow 2x, fractured thumb, elbow stitches
    Kid stuff: broken forearm 2x (including BOTH radius and ulna at same time), three concussions, countless knee sprains from skateboarding, etc. etc. etc. etc. ...

5. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo
    No medical insurance= No recovery in sight. :(

6. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc STUPIDASS

Design for an architecture firm
    Broken collar bone Friday the 13th of March 2009. 8 weeks off the bike. If it happens to someone in the future (but hopefully not) get a figure 8 brace so your muscles don't atrophy. The hardest part of getting back on the bike after that injury is the mental aspect for me. Needless to say Friday the 13ths will be no riding days for me.

7. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Word. Tore something or other in my shoulder last September and it's been hurting ever since. Unfortunately my insurance is almost useless for anything less than life-threatening injuries, so in pain I shall sit.

Too bad I didn't land on my mouth instead--my dental coverage kicks a$$!

8. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    Adding to the good times, I've knocked myself out twice, cracked a rib, and partially severed the cord my left testicle hangs from (can't remember the name). Oh and had severe reactions to the dye used for my CT scans.

If you want more gory details of the crotch violence, search "When Thompson met Johnson" on the board for the ride report.

And worse than the pain was the month and a half of testicle humor I had to endure from my fellow (SCV) Dirtbags... (^_^);;;

9. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Trust me you dont want to land on your mouth. Im missing my front teeth. I have had them fixed several times but kept getting abscesses do to major mouth trauma more than once. They have all been removed ( 5 of them) now and its 12,000 k for implants. Bridges always break over time. Eating fruit such as apples, corn on the cob, sanwhiches, and basically any thing not cut up is a pain to eat. My first fall the dentist at the ER had to remove cement from my gums.

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

Go spin on the RB!!!

11. Branta

Branta New Member

Broke my scaphoid in two, broken for 6 years , was still able to ride with minor pain, finally found a doctor that didn't want to do a bone graft, doc screwed bone back together, screw left in wrist permanently, 5 weeks no riding, started riding mellow after 5 weeks and things are getting better. I ride with a small wrist brace and it definitly helps.

12. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Update on my arm. Unfortunately my ulna has been declared a nonunion, no growth over the last month. Surgeon says it's due to lack of blood and nutrient supply to the bone, common with compound fractures. Sometime in the next month I'll go for a synthetic bone graft to help give things a little nudge.

Bummed, but on the bright side I've been getting some great "endurance" backpacking trips in. Wouldn't have explored these San Gabes wilderness areas if I was still on the bike.

13. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Territory Marketing Manager

Ouch #-o Get better brother. Heres to a succesful recovery :beer:

14. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    That sucks...

15. evdog

evdog Member

Sorry, but :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup, mine is still in after 6 years. I also have 2 screws in my L hand that are staying in (separate incident). The plate doesn't bother me, though it protrudes a bit on one side of my wrist where there is now an obvious bump.

The only problem with the wrist is its a bit loose-goosey as there's not all that much left of it (even with the plate). If I don't contract the muscles in my hand/arm when I shake someones hand, it can move up/down/or to the side slightly during the handshake, which can really freak people out.

You could always leave it in for a while and see if it bothers you. My doc did mention taking mine out is an option but only recommended if it causes problems.

That does suck, sorry to hear. If I was the doc I'd just amputate. ;)

But seriously, I think you should hang on the couch and not exercise at all til you're healed. That way the rest of us will be able to keep up with you when you get back on the bike :lol:

16. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

I've had concussions, broken neck, broken arm, broken teeth and many minor but painful injuries to my knees and back. From surfing, skateboarding, and just being stupid. Too many remember them all, but I've always healed up good. But now that I'm in my 50's, they're coming back to haunt me. Especially when I wake up in the mornings. It's hard to get moving. Was it worth it? YEAH! I'd rather live and get banged up a bit than just sit and die. My only advice, let your injuries heal up good.

17. Piranha

Piranha Member

It all started for me with a comminuted, displaced tibial plateau fracture in December of 2002. I had a bone graft from my hip to rebuild my tibial plateau. Was non weight bearing for about three years due to a non union. Have undergone multiple knee surgeries. Was off the bike for several years and finally began riding again in October 2007.
    I just had my 7th knee surgery on Wednesday 6/24 (resurface, remove loose bodies, clean up arthritic patella, MCL and meniscus repair). I am trying to stave off the inevitable total knee replacement until I am in my late 60's if possible as their effecive life sapn is only 10-15 years and I am only 50 now.
    I'll be off the bike for 8 weeks or so, but I hope to be back out on the trails soon with all my cycling pals.
    Being injured sucks! I'd like to offer healing vibes and best wishes for speedy recoveries to all of my 2 wheeled injured comrades.

Here's what my knee looked like in 2002. Several orthos said that I'd never be able to ride a bike again but I proved the nay sayers wrong. While I'll never be one of the fastest up or down the hill, I sure enjoy cycling and I hope I can continue riding for many years to come. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. There is always hope, you just have to believe in yourself. Most of it is mental IMO. On the other hand I don't recommend this type of injury to anyone, it's very difficult to recover from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]