Inguinal Hernia Surgery

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by xxSpokesxx, Feb 18, 2011.

1. xxSpokesxx

xxSpokesxx New Member

Video Game Developer
    Just had surgery for an inguinal hernia this morning. They did the "old fashioned" way by making a small cut, placing in a mesh, and super glued me shut. Honestly, it was outrageously easy and looking back nothing to lose sleep over. I got a chuckle out of the surgeons when I told them my resting heart rate was normally 48, on the OR table it was in the 90's.

Doctor said I shouldn't mountain bike for 8 weeks. He said to listen to my body, go for walks, and that I could even lightly road ride when I feel up to it. However, no MTB for 8 weeks with all it's climbs, bumps, and spills.

Any of you guys go through a similar situation? Any advice for a speedy recovery? I just want to keep moving around to keep it loose, but I also don't want to be a hero and split everything wide open.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gary IFF

Gary IFF Member

be careful with that. If its good right after the surgery rest alot more than you think you should; cartilage/connective tissues heal slower than others. If the first surgery doesn't fix it, many times nothing will and it goes on forever, literally. Don't mean to scare you, but I do for your own good.

Spin classes should be doable without too much abdominal pressure. Just don't strain when going to the bathroom, sneeze, or lift heavy. Oh, and eat right for a while. Cheers.

3. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I Work in workers compensation and will say it should be around 6 to 8 weeks before you start doing anything like mtn biking

4. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I had that surgery over 10 years ago. It was very painful the next day. The pain slowly tapered off during the course of about week, really it hurt like hell. Had it done in may and couldn't surf till mid to late summer. It's been good ever since.

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

Enjoy the pain meds :)

6. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    I had it done 2 years ago. Extremely painful!

7. barney619

barney619 New Member

I've had it done twice! Once on each side. You're lucky if it doesn't hurt, because mine hurt like hell. I would think anything that cuts the abs would hurt real bad until it heals.

The first time, they did the patch, which required a bigger cut - about 3 inches. The next one was just a stitch job, so I only got sliced open 2 inches. If I had it to do all over again, I would ask for a patch to have peace of mind, and because it's supposed to be more durable.

Healing time for me was in the in the 6-8 week time frame. Listen to the nurse and let yourself heal. It takes time for your body to grow onto the patch. It's not worth the risk to get on the bike too soon.

Now that I've recommended prudent rest advice...if after 6 months or so, you're still feeling something wrong, it might just need some stretching and tugging. Here's why...A year after my 2nd surgery, it felt like it wasn't completely healed. It was usually after strenuous activity or when I had a full bladder. So I went in for a check up and the doc said all was well. I was afraid that he was wrong because it felt the same as it did pre-surgery.

Regrettably I let years pass, I avoided heavy lifting when I could, but the pain continued to come back after strenuous lifting or after a few rounds of drinks. I brought it up to the doc again, but this time I wasn't taking no for an answer. I wanted it fixed once and for all. After a few attempts to convince him that they needed to give me a patch to fix a crappy stitch job, he explained that there was probably scar tissue holding on between layers that needed to break free. He actually recommended that I ignore it and carry on past the pain. so I did. I'm happy to say that he was right and I never felt the pain again.

So good luck to you for a speedy recovery! Keep my situation in the back of your mind in case you find yourself in a similar spot down the road.

8. xxSpokesxx

xxSpokesxx New Member

Video Game Developer
    Thanks guys! This morning was a lot harder than yesterday. I think sleeping in one position all night "froze" me up. I walked laps around my apartment for 15 minutes just to get the blood flowing. Certainly more pain on day 2 but manageable.

I'll heed everyone's advice and really just let my body heal. I got the mesh sewn in so everything needs to start growing together. Was it hard to start biking after 8 weeks off? I anticipate I'll feel really tight down there and will need to start slowly.

Again, thank you for all the advice. Helps to hear how it went for fellow mountain bikers.

9. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    I had that surgery done on both sides. I would also listen to the doc-6-8 weeks off and also remember that it could hurt for a year or so with the scar tissue - nothing major but just keep that in mind

10. cruzin 52s

cruzin 52s Member

Had the surgery done about six months ago,I was hiking and biking 10 days later at a slow and easy pace.It was painful to get down in the drops on the road bike due to stretching out. it feels like the mesh that they put in me has slightly reduced my groin flexability causing groin discomfort riding a road bike that i don't feel on a mountain bike.Take it easy and listen to your body without the pain meds it will tell you how hard you can push.

11. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Frequently massaging the scar tissue helps to break it down.

12. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I had mine about 4 years ago - had a screen door put in. Hurt like hell the second day and for about another 7 days. I got antsy and rode the mtb on day 8. A 2 ft drop-off hurt me so bad on that ride that I writhed on the ground for about half an hour. Ended up with a lot of scar tissue that still feels uncomfortable even 4 years later. So; even if you feel great the first 2nd or even 3rd day, listen to your doctor and follow recovery plan.
    Massaging the scar tissue really does help - although it looks kinda odd to passers-by.

13. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

What causes this? Seems like everyone on here has had it. Is it (can it be) caused by biking? :?:

14. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    Heed Doctor's orders. Don't try to come back too quickly or you will pay for it and delay your full return to 100% strength and health.

My Dad's had 2 of these and my father-in-law had 1, and "slow and easy" is the best rule in this. Refer to FFW's experience above.

My 2 cents worth.....

Jeff

15. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    most often its congenital (sp?) - built that way from birth though heavy lifting can cause or aggravate it

16. xxSpokesxx

xxSpokesxx New Member

Video Game Developer
    Yeah just as surftime said, they can be congenital. My dad, grandfather, and great grandfather have all had them. My dad would always jokingly say it's not IF it's WHEN I would get one because of our family history. In fact, I think it's only a matter of time before the right side goes now!

If you don't have the hernia gene as my Dr. calls it then you could also get them from heavy lifting or even being overweight. Having a strong core can help prevent them.

17. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Got mine from falling on my longboard during heavy surf.

18. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Damn as a former powerlifter, bodybuilder I never had a hernia, I'm so grateful of that. I feel for you I would be bonkers if I had to wait that l had to wait that long to ride again..

Pssssssssstt....can you shuttle us while your on injured reserve???

19. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

I have the scar from one, but don't know anything about it because I was a baby when it was done.:-k

20. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Had emergency surgery for a unilateral one about 11 years ago. Also had complications that kept me in the hospital for almost a week. You made it this far already, what's an extra few weeks of rest? Take it easy for the eight weeks.........it'll go by fast! Best of luck with the recovery!