Infamous is down!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Infamous, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Infamous

Infamous Member

Hello STR friends,

The reason I’m posting my own “Rider Down” thread is to publicly thank Monstertiki for having posted invaluable comments/info about the need for having traveler’s insurance before riding in Whistler, and to also spread the importance that others do the same.

Here’s the story…
    It was our third and final day of world-class riding in amazing weather (though a bit dry and dusty for up there – not that I’m complaining!). We were coming down Blue Velvet in the middle of a cloud bank when I fell from an elevated ladder section, only about 6 feet off the ground, but landed on my side onto a boulder. How the heck did that happen?

For those who haven’t ridden Blue Velvet, it’s a wonderfully flowy trail that descends from one of the higher spots on the mountain. It’s not very technical, just a lot of fun. At one point, there are a couple of very easy ladder-to-drop-off options.

The problem I encountered, is that those ladders always seemed to sneak up on me, and they require a bit of a sharp turn from the trail. On this particular run, I almost went right by (again!), but hit the brakes hard in order to make the turn onto them. The problem was that I slowed down to a crawl and was in too tall a gear to get any torque. As I approached the drop, I realized that I was wobbly, going way too slow, and wasn’t in a good position. As fate would have it, I looked to my left and thought, “Crap, don’t fall of off that side”. So, guess what I did? Yep, fell off of that side.

I ejected my bike (a beautiful V10!) by slinging it forward, hoping to roll over to spot the ground and not land blind on my back. My whole body seemed to slam the earth at once, the only things instantly apparent being my broken nose and shaken head. Fortunately, I was wearing a robust full face helmet and Leatt neck brace, which I had purchased just prior to the trip.

I quickly flipped myself onto my back to assess the damage and realized that most of my left leg didn't follow me. It was bent almost 90 degrees medially (I think is the right term) above my knee. So, my leg bent, then there was my knee, dangling calf and foot. All with almost no feeling. My only thought, “That's just not right.”

I straightened out my leg as best I could, because I couldn’t look at it in that condition, and shouted to my friends, who got to me quickly. I removed my helmet and neck brace, draining lots of blood from my nose. It was quite a sight, I'm sure. Turns out, my femur was completely broken about 1/3 up from the knee.

One of my buddies went for help, while the other stayed with me, trying not to vomit (!).

The Whistler crew that arrived by bike, ATV, and truck were phenomenal. They evacuated me on a backboard, let me have my way with a nitrous tank, and transported me via Rhino ATV to the ambulance, which took me to the Whistler emergency clinic. There, the doctors set my leg and put me in traction, then sent me on a sirens-blazing ambulance ride down to the hospital in Vancouver, where I had surgery and remained for a few days.

The surgery went well. They inserted a steel rod down the center of my femur and screwed it in place with four screws. Six weeks on crutches to come (doesn't sound too bad, given the injury) and some P/T.

Thanks to the information Monstertiki had provided, I ended up spending $32 on a $200K medical insurance policy that covered everything that happened in Canada, including my first-class airfare home! Best $32 I ever spent.

At 43, I’m not the youngest guy out there, but I have years and years of BMX and mountain biking experience under my belt (not that I’m the greatest rider, but I can hold my own fairly well). This fall caught me completely off-guard. There were much hairier things I did on this trip where I may have expected a crash, but not here. So, please use me as another cautionary tale to wear your safety gear and make sure you’re insured wherever you ride. You never know when it’s going to be your turn.

Thank you all for being such a great community. This place is the best! Sincerely,
    Mike Smith

2. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

That's gnarly, heal up soon man.

3. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Pics or it didn't happen.......;)

Sorry to hear about your crash and injuries, I'm glad you were covered with travel insurance. Can you imagine showing up to the clinic and shelling out the money? At that point, I'd be like, I don't care, charge it to my card! I was below the container drop when Ed sampled Whistler's finest dirt and thank god he was wearing the Leatt. The fall looked pretty hard and I ran back up the trail to see if he was alright so it's easy to see how things can go wrong quickly when you're having fun. Thanks for sharing your story and I wish you a speed recovery. I'd recommend getting a scooter to get around but your break is above your knee. My wife broke her ankle on the same trip as Monsterski and she used this to get around. Beats the crap outta crutches.

[​IMG]

4. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Yikes! Take the time to heal up properly Mike. Healing vibes at you!

5. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

Well as I read this I must admit I just shake my head. After all the BMX stuff we did and then it comes down to this. As you were posting on Facebook I was soo bummed I want to go there. Now I read this and I'm still bummed but for another reason. I'm happy to read that all is going well and I'm sure you will be back on it in no time at all. At least in time for the team Lucky's vr team parks shoot out with Windy, Gork, Dyno Kane and mad Dog.
    God speed bro and if you need anything just let me know.

6. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Whoa thats a crazy story. Accidents happen when you very least expect them too and on the features you wouldn't think you would have problems with, at least thats been my experience. Glad I could help and I hope everyone that rides has some form of insurance whether riding local or abroad.

7. melster

melster Member

Software
    Oww. My leg started to hurt just reading your story. If you need anything around Ladera PM me.

8. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Bummer, so sorry to hear that story, but very happy to hear about the insurance side of it.. I was actually wondering when we'd get the Ride Report as I knew you had plans to be there.. the info from monstertiki is priceless.. I can't believe the times I've ridden there and not had insurance coverage.. I won't do that again! That would've been a huge tab to cover.. heal up fast.. hey that spot you mention on BV sounds familiar, is this pic the ladder drop?

GOPR0269.MP41.jpg

9. riiz

riiz Member

So where do you purchase this insurance from? The airport, AAA or travel agent?

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

It was bought online. I'll look and see if I can find the link again.

I also bought it up there after Ed told me about it.

11. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Your story is another example of how quickly things can go bad in Whistler or other bike park. It doesn't have to be the gnarliest trail to produce some nasty results. I bought insurance before I went up there too. Don't forget you need to purchase your coverage 72 hours before you can file a claim. I had a nasty little spill that fortunately only resulted in bruised ribs and ego. I did go to a Dr., just to be sure. $135 just for a visit - no x-rays or treatment. Insurance had $50 deductible. I was too lazy to file a claim when I returned, since it was only $85 difference, but point is - it could be a $30,000 tab in an instant.

Broken femurs are gnarly. I can't imagine the pain. Best of luck with your recovery and healing vibes your way.

12. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    So with the purchase made early enough, does it truly work just as our insurance here in the states? You would pay whatever deductible and be done? I know monstertiki had to come out of pocket and get reimbursed after that fact but I recall that was possibly due to a holiday issue. Just wondering if like our insurance, are some of these plans better than others, etc..

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

If I recall Ed said the people he spoke to said that had they been open he wouldn't have had to pay anything.

Funny part is they were closed for the dumbest holiday ever. BC day which was explained to us as a holiday that was created becasue all the other providences had more holidays.

14. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Infamous eh? Never heard of you, but you are a great resource. Sorry to hear of your injury, don't know if your in worse condition than myself but both of us have broken legs from crashing. Please remain alert for unusual pains or tightness in your chest. A pulmonary embolism can still occur due to your recent immobilization. The Dr at Chino valley caught my blood clot before it embolized. Femur breaks can cause blood clots. Being off thr bike is torture. Keep in touch in your recovery.

[email protected]

15. bing!

bing! Active Member

Good deal on the travellers insurance. Good save right there :)

Something to think about. If you ride aggressively, already have medical insurance, AFLAC is an option for local rides, specially if you can't afford to lose a paycheck or two.

16. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
  17. riiz

riiz Member

I think they changed the plan since you've purchased it or this isnt the right link. All I see is a $50,000 limit and $250 deductible. I played around with the quote and could not get more coverage or change the deductible.

18. Infamous

Infamous Member

Hello all,

Thanks for all the kind responses. I really appreciate the support!

The policy I purchased had $0 deductible. $32 for $200K for a 5-day trip. I could have just used my regular medical coverage here in the States, but didn't want to hassle fronting everything, then getting reimbursed at less than 100% for out of network services, etc. As it turns out, I fronted about $1500 for the initial emergency room treatment, but that will be fully reimbursed. Everything else has been automatically covered!

McG715, yes, that's the one. That thing is a mile wide, but when you're swervy, you're swervy! I landed on and past that boulder on the left. It sickens me to think of how stupidly easy this thing is!!! Thanks for posting the pic.

Mike

19. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    As soon as you described it I remembered being right there with my son and was thinking it may be it.. yes the turn is sharp for sure.. your injury hits so close to home for me, either with injuries I've had up there or falls my son has had.. it never seems to be the super gnarly stuff you did that cost you, it was always something else where you never expected to go down in the first place..

20. Infamous

Infamous Member

I hear you! I'm on daily injections of Fragmin, which is a blood thinner used to prevent such clotting. I've tried to keep my blood moving as much as possible since the injury to help prevent such clotting. Thanks for the heads-up though - gotta keep an eye out for sure!