Race Report In the Dirt XC - Temecula 11/6/10

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by dirtyPG, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dirtyPG

dirtyPG New Member

Graphics at Oakley
    So I headed out to Vail yesterday to do the MTB only race, and was planning to register on-site. The schedule on the website said the MTB race would start at 9:30am. I got there at 8:50, only to find out that the MTB race had already started - they started the race 45 minutes early! WTF.

2. BigT

BigT New Member

You know, the whole event had lots of bad issues. I'm finding out that it wasn't SAW, but aparently there were TONS of volunteers that didn't show up. Not just late, but complete no-shows! The owner of one of the sponsor tents volunteered at the last minute to MC the event. He did a great job and was full of energy on the microphone.

Funny that you say it started that early... Because the triathlon I was in started almost that late! I was kind of upset about that because I knew the tri was going to take me some time and had a sliver of time to get back to the OC on time... the extra 30 minutes screwed me big time not to mention the cramps.... then the traffic.... and a bathroom stop.

Sorry you got screwed out of racing! That really sucks.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though! The event was WELL done! The staff is the nicest around! Kirk and Susan handled the adversity like pros and kept their cool even when it looked like chaos to the rest of us! :)

3. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

The promoter, Kirk, sent out an email the day before to let the MTBers know that the start time was changing. Super late notice. I got there four minutes before the start.

4. BigT

BigT New Member

I was there as a last minute entry and hadn't registered prior. So I didn't get that email, but Kirk told me to show up when they open the gates to make sure everything was registered properly and that I had time for everything. Awesome event and a flawless execution by Kirk and Susan. They made it look easy for sure. The free BBQ was the perfect ending to a perfect day! All the burgers, hotdogs, fig newtons, oranges banana's and Cabo Chips you could eat! Definately on my yearly to-do list!

5. BigT

BigT New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  6. dirtyPG

dirtyPG New Member

Graphics at Oakley
    Yeah, that's what they told me. Too bad I wasn't pre-registered, so they didn't have my email. I ended up doing a couple laps of the course anyway, and used it as a pre-ride for this weekend's 12hr race. Oh well, I will make sure I show up extra early to a SAW event next time.

7. BigT

BigT New Member

Just make sure if you get there (Vail Lake) TOO EARLY, you'll have to deal with the parking nazi guy with the accent drilling you for the 5 bux you owe him! Good luck at the race.