Impatient Recovery - Bruised Ribs

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by H2oChick, Aug 12, 2008.

1. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

I followed the leader (OMR's post: OMR Goes Down ...) and the others and have caused some trauma to my ribs. The usual S & S: discomfort breathing, moving, etc. God forbid if I feel a sneeze coming on!

It's been almost 2 weeks and I have tried some modified excercise (light spinning) but each time I set back my recovery. So my question is what excercises is everyone doing that won't/doesn't hurt the recovery process?
    Geez, just putting my hair in a ponytail takes some careful manipulation. #-o

I've been taking anti-inflammatories but want to stop those as soon as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

P.S. The upside was my fall was on a spectacular ride on Surveryor's Ridge in Oregon. WOW - simply fantastic scenery. And very stubborn rocks.

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

ouch, healin vibes sent your way for sure... i don't even ride hard anymore because i don't want to have down time from the bike/s

3. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Geez, everybody's been getting injured over the past few weeks (myself included). Here's to you for a speedy reovery :beer: (sorry, no suggestions).

4. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo
    Its something in the air i think. I took a couple small diggers this weekend at BB and i'm finding new briuses every day. lol I didn't even think I hit some of these spots on my body lol Hope you heal up quickly. I'll go on a ride for you. lol

5. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    What helped my ribs most was 4 or 5 days of real rest. I barely got off the couch on those days. Finding a comfortable sleeping position can be a huge help. I actually slept in our guest room so I could take up the whole bed without bothering my wife. A comfy bed helps healing ribs.

I went back about 5 days after my crash to light riding and am still in the in between phase. My ribs are still sore with one of them being broken, but I just take it easy and stay within my limits. From previous experiences with bruised ribs, it takes a while before you stop feeling that knot in your rib cage, but you get used to it after a while.

It hurts me the same now to sit on the couch or ride, so I figure I might as well ride if I am going to be in pain!

Hope you feel better soon!

6. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Very sorry to hear this, grasshopper!

Seems like everybody is getting hurt in one way or another this summer... must be the water?

Ribs are funny things sometimes it hurts more and takes longer to heal when they are bruised and not broken. Sammy had the right idea... you really neeed to completely rest them for a couple of weeks (I know personally this is VERY hard to do, especially during the summer!) How much Ibphropen are you taking??? Most do not take enough... and yeah I'm aware of the dangers of taking it. I've asked several doctors about how much and how long should I take it. They put me on 800 mg three to 4 times a day at first... then tapering off as the weeks go by. According to the doctors, ribs will take 6-8 weeks to heal but you may experience pain or that tight feeling for longer... depends on the muscle damage. It's also such and individual thing healing-wise. If it's painful... stop doing it is what one doctor told me... other-wise be careful as you definitely don't want to hurt them before you heal.

See ya on the trail sooner or later! :wave:

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I bruised the cartilige in between my ribs once, boy was that painful. I had to wear one of those stretchy rib belts for about 6 weeks (helped with support and minimized the pain). Couldn't ride for at least 2 weeks!

8. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

Thanks for all the support! I've found that lots of pillows help the support while sleeping but it doesn't earn me any brownie points with the husband.

My doctor knows my accident prone history so she keeps me supplied with low dosage anti-inflammatories that work very well when I need them but I am thinking of bumping up the Ibu as OMR suggested and stop with the AI. (I've been taking Ibu during the day and the AI at night on a full stomach).

I may just have to resign my self to sit on the sofa and watch the Olympics while I heal ... yeah, that won't make my butt look big.

9. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Sounds like they may be broken. I thought my ribs were bruised until I went on a ride 3 days after the fall. Whoa, boy, did I find out in the worst way that they were broken. I couldn't even push my bike while walking.

In any case, not much to do for broken/bruised ribs except to take it easy. Hope you feel better soon :)

10. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo

Hate to break it to you but Ibu is an Anti-Inflamitory drug. lol Though it is nonsteroidal. And for the record OMR 3200mg is the max you should ever take in a day and that should only be for a short period of time, and always doctor recommended and supervised. It's always advised to take the least amount to relieve pain. Not trying to step on any toes. Just trying to inform. Hope all goes well h2O. :wave:

11. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Similar to Gregg (OMR), I was originally put on 800 mg of IBU 3x/day after injuring my hip. It really didn't help a whole lot, so my rhumatologist yesterday gave an anti-inflamatory, intravenously (can't remember the name). I'm feeling a lot better today, however it could be a combo of all the treatments I received. I guess it could be something you could ask your doctor about if you don't get any relief from taking a larger dosage of IBU.

12. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Yep.... just what my doctor said. I hate taking any type of drug, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. After 2 weeks I've got my ibu down to 200 mg once or twice a day... but then I heal extremely fast.

13. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    I'm still feeling it in my ribs, front and back, on the right side, 2 weeks after a wild OTB adventure off the first ladder on 7 bridges up at Mammoth. I'm riding lightly, staying off the pain killers, sneezing, coughing and laughing carefully, and drinking lots of milk and taking calcium supplement pills daily.

I can still ride, and breath while working out, but sleeping, laying on my right side or on my back, or getting up out of bed using stomach muscles to sit upright is a pain fest, as is the stuff mentioned above. It just takes time. Lots of time, about 2 months.

14. Dial Tone

Dial Tone Airsofter-Biker

telecommunications
    Home Page:
    Are you cleared for light day hikes? Hike the trails you usually ride through...