I'M Stupied but.....

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Ponch, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    How do I remove the front tire with my quick release when I have disc brakes. I don't want to screw up my bike that I have not yet ridden.

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The same way as rim brakes. just undo the QR loosen the skewer nut and slide the wheel out of the dropouts.

Be careful not to squeeze the brake lever with the wheel out if you have hydraulic brakes. It will allow the pads to compress so far that you may not be able to get the rotor back between the pads when you go to reinstall the wheel.

C

3. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    I have Mech brakes so that's not an issue right? With rim brakes you have to "disconnect" the brake pad thing (my knowledge of bike lingo is awesome). Do you have to do the same with Disc?

4. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    It's actually easier then with v-brakes. I remember with my v's I had to undo the brakes before the wheel could come out. Just be cautious like Craig said. Some brakes have pad seperators which are pieces of plastic that you can insert in the caliper to prevent the pads from being pushed together.

5. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    Ok, so just slide the tire off and don't push in the brake, got it.

6. i am dino

i am dino Guest

and NEVER EVER EVER EVER touch the rotors with your fingers, the oils from your skin will contaminate the rotors. if you do touch them, give them a good wipedown with a clean/fresh rag and alcohol, preferably Bacardi 151. seriously though, rubbing alcohol and a clean rag should work to get rid of the oils...same with the pads, NEVER TOUCH the pad surface with your fingers for the same reasons.

7. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Sweet! I'm looking forward to trying to explain to my kids to not touch daddy's bike when the wheels are off. That is if I ever get the $$ to order a disc wheelset.

8. b-rad!

b-rad! Ski Bum

oh come now. brake fluid is an issue. bike grease is an issue. people grease however, is not.

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Make sure when putting the tire back in that you align the disc in between the pads. Otherwise the tire/rim will not go back in. Take your time the first time. It's real easy and you shouldn't experience any problrms.

10. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    One more disk brake tip (are we beating a dead horse or what?).

Be really careful when you wrap you fingers around the QR after you have just ridden. I’ve blistered my knuckles a couple of times on those sizzling hot rotors. I know, it’s super lame.

11. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

fork oil works great. My Rissie would spritz a lil oil on the rotor every time it moved. One set of pads lasted 2 years. No kidding, I just replaced the fork so I cleaned everything and put new pads on. Those old ones still have alot left on 'em. I'm cheep so I saved them and will try and degrese them. lol
    I do have to admit the front brake works just a tad better now that it's dry.