I'm really embarrased to ask this question.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by charlesinoc, Aug 30, 2011.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

You are not awake for arthroscopic surgery. You will not feel pain during surgery, but the shoulder is a tender area; pain afterward is common. Surgeons think they're Gods, if you don't worship the house of surgeon, you may not like them (hahaha! that's a joke, kinda, I know a few surgeons) ;)

2. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    I don't recall any discussion about an ice cooler with the O.S. Isn't it a good idea to have this equipment at home prior to surgery? The only discussion about post care is "We'll provide you with medication".

I made an appointment to see my primary care physician to discuss my concerns since it's her referral.

Thank you.

3. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    I must worship the house of surgeon! Yah!!! I thought the procedure is similar to an endoscopy where I was awake and listening to the cool music during the procedure.

4. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    I went through the procedure about ten years ago. I had a torn supraspinatus, a torn bicep tendon and numerous bone spurs in the joint. The procedure took just over 2 hours to fix it all. I was able to start my rehab in a couple of days. I was very bad with my follow up PT though so I still do not have full range of movement, but I am fully functional.

I had put it off to the point where I was no longer able to lift my right arm very far past my side. I couldn't open my car door, couldn't sleep due to pain. That night was the first time I was able to sleep for more than a couple of hours without waking up in excruciating pain. Post surgery I did not even need otc pain killers to control the pain. All I needed was ice every so often to control the swelling.

5. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    i 2nd the ice machine. it worked better for me than the drugs… oh, wait. i didn't take any drugs! :lol: but srsly, you'll thank us later! good luck!

6. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    i am loving my cold therapy combo unit (ice machine) Thanks for your suggestions and especially to the orthopedic surgeon and his office & surgical staff. seriously professionals.

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Last year I tore the muscle, tendon and rotator cuff in my shoulder but it was over two different accidents. To this day I can't lift my arm more then half way and it's still painful but tolerable. Pain does travel into my neck occasionally and I have to be careful when I'm sleeping I don't move it the wrong way. I was concerned about frozen shoulder so I went to all the PT sessions and did what was told of me but doc says not everyone will regain full motion again so it's another injury I'm learning to live with. I hope you have better luck then I did.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

So........was it as painful as you were affraid it would be?

9. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    1 hand typing =)

i hope your healing well Mr Freak. =) OS had same concerns with frozen shoulder and had prescribed pre-surgery p.t. and to my surprise did help avoid the dreaded frozen shoulder. I'm hoping to ride the positive energy to recovery post surgery and your welcome to come along. =) now comes the real work.

stay positive as always =) and get well soon!

10. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    a walk in the park =) how is your recovery?

ice machine + http://youtu.be/kJUVMRvBN20 = zzzzzzzzzzz

11. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    1 hand typing =)

i hope your healing well Mr Freak. =) OS had same concerns with frozen shoulder and had prescribed pre-surgery p.t. and to my surprise did help avoid the dreaded frozen shoulder. I'm hoping to ride the positive energy to recovery post surgery and your welcome to come along. =) now comes the real work.

stay positive as always =) and get well soon!

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Surgery went well.......have been in physical therapy the last 2.5 weeks. Still have to wear the sling, but it seems to be moving forward.

13. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Charles, I'm glad to see you've avoided frozen shoulder so far. I was gonna post about that, but it seems like you're already on it with ice/med/PT.
    I've been working through frozen shoulder since an accident in January and am making good progress lately, but I still only have about 75-80% of normal range of motion. I never imagined I'd still be working through it after this much time, but I've heard people talk about almost 2 years of rehab. Whatever you can do to avoid it, do it!

14. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Good luck to you and I hope you continue making good progress! I may have to find a new career if i dont regain full range of motion.... lets hope for a good out come! :)

15. bharer75

bharer75 New Member

EMT/ Going into Marine Corps Fire
    Is that South County orthopedics? I got orthoscopic thru one of the docs there too. He is extremely short and too the point... Almost like he has something better to do

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I've never had a doctor who isn't like that.

But they do...treat more patients. After all, he got to the point with you, right?

But I know what you're saying, and I still find it frustrating at times, though.

17. bharer75

bharer75 New Member

EMT/ Going into Marine Corps Fire
    As a field EMT I have worked with E.R doctors and some of those guys have the same attitude.... Its a holier than thou attitude with some lol. I haven't and don't plan on ever treating patients like this (putting aside the ones that deserve it).

I believe its due to the fact they see it as a very easy operation or treatment and can't relate that the patient is probably experiencing stress aside of the problem itself. That and how many patients they see a day. Its tiring!

Kaiser Permanente? hahaha .....but honestly theres several reasons my family and I dont go there anymore

18. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Sounds like the same orthopedic doc :) Hey we have something in common!!! Oh yeah, for the record, I would have him work on me a second time. The entire office, outpatient surgery center I found to be proffesionals. My physical therapist on the other hand, seriously unproffesional.

19. qb6fire

qb6fire New Member

Disneyland
    i got my sholder worked on in north OC at the orange county orthopedic center in santa ana... my doc was like this what we are going to do if we find anything we will fix it! well what was scheduled as a scope turned into a 2 1/2 hour procedure to screw my labrum back to the bone :/??? ya some of us a screwed for life!

hope the recovery is going well and you are doing all the listed exercises to rebuild all the strength and flexibility!!!

happy healings to you and one PITA body part to jack up!

20. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Hey how is your recovery so far?

3 1/2 months post surgery and I've regained 80% range of motion. But my physical therapist says I am behind schedule. :( I'm very confused about that statement. The OS says I'm doing fine and just need to work on it a little bit more. I think I'll ask to see another physical therapist next week if that's possible.