I'm really embarrased to ask this question.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by charlesinoc, Aug 30, 2011.

1. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    I have to go through arthroscopic surgery for a torn or tear in the rotator cuff. I asked the Orthopedic surgeon if it's going to hurt. He said, of course it will. #-o I am kinda freaking scared right now. He seemed impatient and direct to the point.

If you've gone through a similar procedure, do you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks.

update 9/25/11 orthopedic surgeon, office staff, especially the folks who assisted with surgery, anesthesiologist, nurses were just beyond excellent. love the de royal cold theraphy unit, it works. lots of communication, safeguards.

i just need to find a p.t. who is on the same level.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011
  2. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    I've had both of my shoulders operated on. The left one was an arthroscopic procedure. I'd be lying to you if I said that there was no post operative pain. I guess the amount will depend on your tolerance and how extensive your injury is. Do you know how bad the tear is? On the bright side, recovery time was rather quick for my arthroscopically repaired shoulder (partially torn supraspinatus and labrum.....more of a 'cleanup' job than a repair). I was moving my shoulder within a couple of days post surgery (pendulum exercises), and my time in rehab was around two and one-half to three months. I also had an emergency hernia operation during (5 night hospital stay) this time which set me back on my shoulder rehab time for a bit.

Is this your first operation? If so, you're not alone with your concerns. Rest assure, the procedure is pretty routine, and you'll be back on the bike in no time. Big thing is to make sure you do your exercises. PM me if you have any more questions. I'm a second year physical therapy student as well, so I can talk to you a little bit more about it. By the way, who's performing the operation?

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I just had my shoulder operated on last Weds.

Broke the top of my humerus(top of the arm bone) where the rotator cuff attaches.

Surgery was about 1.5 hours......got some screws and a plate.

Also got about a 6-7" incision from my armpit up......and about 15 staples to close it.

I was given a nerve block for my shoulder arm to help with the pain for the first 12-18 hours or so.....made my arm numb for about 14 hours.

There is some discomfort.....but I have not taken any prescription pain killers.....Tylonol PM and Aleve.....and lots of ice.

The point of incision is more tender than the bone repair. However, there is a dull constant ache in the bone.

I have a high tolerance for pain......even the Ortho was surprised that I hadn't taken any of the pain killers.

So far the shoulder surgery was less painful than the surgery to repair my broken ankle last year.

Hoping to start PT sooner rather than later.

4. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I had mine done several years ago. The damage was extensive and the rehab was very long and laborious. After surgery I was not able to lift my arm at all so it took a long time to strengthen it. Everyone is different, so you can't compare yourself at this point. Yes, it ached and yes I had to use pain medication and lots of icing. If you haven't already done so, get a second opinion and if you don't like the Doctor's bedside manner, find one you do like (if you can). I have been through 5 Orthopedists and I don't care for any of them.

5. ifouiripilay

ifouiripilay New Member

ICU Registered Nurse
    I agree, get a second opinion. Don't like the surgeon, move on to one you like. People often forget that health care is a business. And most docs will get past their honeymoon phase(job satisfaction) quickly... But there are a handful that will be sincere with their care. There are some you just don't know how to interact. On the otherhand, they need to be blunt and not sugar coat the reality that all surgeries come with risks. I've seen it all... I'm a critical care nurse.
    Inform yourself, you can check on the ca state board to check if any physician has put their liciense in jepordy with bad practice. Good luck

6. Danimal22

Danimal22 New Member

Utilities General Foreman, Disneyland Resort
    I am your guy! I have had rotator cuff/bicep surgery on both of my shoulders in the last 2 years, it really depends on the severity of tear, grades 1-3 partial, to total detachment. I had a total detachment and torn bicep tendon on my left shoulder (surgery in oct. 2009) and was off work 16 weeks, they had to drill a hole in my upper arm bone to re-attach bicep tendon. physical therapy usually starts after 5-8 weeks. Had surgery on right shoulder this january and was off work 12 weeks (less severe tear, only a 2) shoulder injuries suck as it seems everything you do involves the shoulders. Recovery depends also on your age and physical condition. I am 52 years old and have been an athlete (35 yrs. weight training/bodybuilding) and I recover fast due to my conditioning. Yup, it does hurt! (that's what the vicodin is for!)
    Good luck with your recovery.

7. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    What is there to be embarrassed about? I have never gone under the knife. Even a routine flu shot scares me to death.

8. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I liked my duct tape idea, like Obama care....cheep, and no unnecessary medical procedures, the Home Depot of Health. In second thought do it now while your covered, come 2014 we will be going to Mehico for this kinda stuff.

9. Politi-Cal

Politi-Cal New Member

I have never had any shoulder work done but I have had four surgeries on my left knee. The best advice I can offer is to make sure you do your rehab. Do not cut corners with your rehab work...it makes a huge difference.

10. mantaman

mantaman New Member

Sales
    He missed his opportunity to say "It's not going to hurt me a bit" I always like that line.

Hang in there! You will get through it and be on the bike in no time!

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

As my father, in all his mighty wisdom, once said right after smashing my thumb with a hammer (I missed the nail), "It'll feel better when it stops hurting."

He was so right. Words to live by.

12. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    That guy was one hell of a disciplinarian!

13. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

If you have to start any sentence with "I'm really embarrassed to ask this question", then it shouldn't be asked. Aside from that, it's a walk-in-the-park (in comparison) so HTFU and good luck to you, Charlie. :wave:

14. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Not a big deal - the recovery part sucks tho.

15. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    This is my first operation. I did not ask how bad the tear is, however I did snap a photo of my shoulder MRI while it was up on the screen. (See first post) He has ordered physical therapy for me prior to surgery to avoid a "frozen shoulder" I'll PM you the surgeons name. I did mention it was my experience that the Ortho Surgeon appeared impatient with me. I've also experienced this with Emergency room doctors.

Another question for you. Since the day of my bicycle crash I've had a low grade neck pain. It has now progressed into sometimes an unbearable neck pain and I'm taking prescription medication. Why is my Primary Care Physician referring me to a Physical Therapist instead of a chiropractor?

16. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Thank you, he's clean.

17. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Are you awake during the Arthroscopic Surgery? Did you feel pain? Are you saying you did not care for your surgeon?

18. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:

Rehab seems to be the reoccurring theme here.

19. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    OMG!!!! I meant, thanks for sharing your fathers words of wisdom!!!!

20. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Don't quote me on this, but the neck pain may be related to some referred pain from the shoulder. Physicians do not refer patients to chiropractors as often as they do to physical therapists; the work of chiropractors is not as highly regarded, or clinically researched as being as beneficial as physical therapy. There are some exercises that will help to strengthen the area around the rotator cuff, to avoid further injury and assist with the healing process.

If you don't like your surgeon, a second opinion is always good, but beware! Some surgeons are better salesmen than operators (If you'd like a horror story, I'll gladly PM one-just keep your head up and don't fall victim to a sales pitch). You want someone who will support you before and after surgery and address your needs at all times. Remember, it is your right to get another opinion, and your insurance should recognize this/support it.

As for the surgery, a nerve block prior to the surgery is beneficial to many in the control of post-op pain, as is an ice machine. The anesthesiologist is the one performing the nerve block, but you can ask your surgeon about it (ultimately, the surgeon will give the yay or nay). Ask your surgeon about an ice machine, too. The ice cooler pumps ice water around the shoulder, keeping it cold and preventing discomfort. Your insurance should help to cover this expense.

Good luck!