If you could have only one brand of hydraulic brakes, which would it be?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BrewMaster, Jun 24, 2008.

?

If you could only have one brand of hydraulic disc brakes, which would you choose?

1. Avid

27.5%
  2. Hayes

13.7%
  3. Hope

13.2%
  4. Magura

14.3%
  5. Formula

14.8%
  6. Shimano

16.5%
  1. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Performance and feel, I like the Hopes.

For bang for the buck, reliability, availablity of parts, easy to bleed when needed. Shimano

Best brakes in general. Whatever you can get a good deal on in the STR marketplace.

2. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me

I think it has a lot to do with the lack of experience on them. If they tried it, they would like it.

3. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I wouldn't consider it a rating, more of a preference. They may work great, but to some the cost is not worth it.

Me, I am violently opposed to DOT 4 brake fluid now, so Hopes are out of the question.

...unless I find a sweet deal on Hopes. 8-[

4. wheels

wheels Slowest Member

bah, I guess they keep improving em...now what am I gonna do with my set??? :) hint hint.

5. F.A.D.

Feeds me

If you flush the system out well, you can switch over to DOT 5.1, if that makes any difference. Why the opposition to DOT4?:?:

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Deal

I am violently opposed to beer

7. F.A.D.

Feeds me

Wow!

8. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Yep

You heard me . Stopped drinking it.

for about a week;)

9. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    DOT 4 smells like crap and makes my skin itch. Plus, disposal is a pain for such a small amount and it's less than ideal for the environment. Luckily I work for a chemical company and can dispose of what little waste fluid I have, but I suspect most people just dump it in the drain irresponsibly.

DOT 5.1 is borate ester based...not good either, arguably worse for skin and environment. DOT 5 is cool with me since it is silicone based and I get it for free, but I don't know of any MTB brakes that use DOT 5. It depends on what they use for seals.

Mineral oil seems like the happiest medium for me. Non-irritating on the skin, easy disposal, and non-hazardous.

You're the reason they invented suicide.

10. PacMan

PacMan New Member

A couple years ago, the mechanics at my LBS always referred to Hope brakes and hubs as "Better Hope they work." They said they had major quality issues.

Fast forward a couple years and I read all that is posted on STR about them and am wondering if there were issues a few years ago or if they were just smoking crack.

I'm asking because I honestly don't know (I've never owned a Hope product). Was there some issue(s) a couple years ago that are now solved, or were the mechanics just smoking crack back then??

11. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Can't speak to Hope products from way back, but my Hope hubs, skewers, and seat QRs work great. Sounds like their brakes are quite popular too. :?:

12. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Pacman, they're probably referring to the older Hope XCs hubs. The newer Pro2s work pretty good.

13. schleppp

schleppp Active Member

I dump all of my waste fluid in the toilet... Unless I am camping then I just go in the bushes so nobody see me!!:lol:

14. F.A.D.

Feeds me
    See Sam, there's where you went wrong. You're not supposed to touch the fluid, or bathe in it for that matter!:lol: I hear ya about the smell though. You do get used to it after a while though. I'm around the stuff all of the time.

Mineral oil is good until it hits the boiling temp, which is pretty low in comparison to DOT fluid(part of the reason why it's not used in the auto racing industry).

I couldn't believe he said that too.

15. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I'll be the first to admit I suck at bleeding brakes. Plus, the valve on the caliper of my Hayes brakes doesn't hold the hose on well once there is fluid in the system, so last week it slipped off of the valve and shot fluid everywhere. My garage still smells.

As for the boiling point, I agree mineral oil is not suitable for race cars, but for bikes I don't think that is as much of an issue.

16. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

wait till you experience brake fade sam.....

FAT MAN + extended DOWNHILL + BAD Modulation = cooked fluid :)
    (learning to brake and adequate rotor size mitigate the problem LOL)
    - i hadnt done this on a bike yet.... but i cooked some fluid in the car learning to drive on the track (too much brakes)

and not all brake fluids are created equal....

BTW - I am a fan of brakes that use a post mount setup. SCREW shimming IS mount calipers.... to center them over a dics. And you need a flimsy adapter to make them go on larger rotors....

IS mounted calipers blow. (where they mount in the same axis of the wheel, vs radial mount)

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Mechanics

For the most part they like parts that are easy to install.

The older Hope brakes (two piece) were junk. The new ones are :bang:

The fittings are reusable for changing / shortening the lines. Replacements parts are $$$ and brake pads are harder to find.

I have owned Juicy 7's and Hopes........All I can say is I will never own another set of Juicy's.

Do you know why the call them Juicy's?

Because you have to squeeeeeeeze them over and over like you are juicing a lemon;)

18. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Or you understand the system, and find them feisty air bubbles and bleed em out.

Bang for buck, they rock and are dependable and half the price of 'hope they stop's :)

19. F.A.D.

Feeds me
    This holds true until you donate some DNA due to some faded brakes. I found out the hard way. both on bike and in cars...........#-o Like I said before, I'm done donating.

My Hopes and the Avids were in the same price point. I don't see the Avid's other than the BB7's as a value leader. My Ultimates were $250+ each and the Hope m4 are comming in at $257each. For $14 additional dollars, I'm going to the M4's!

20. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Avid

Oh I understand. Understand they are pain the a$$ too bleed and don't stop for sheeet#-o;)