Race Report Idyllwild Spring Challenge 2011

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ajsura, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    Finished 1st in CAT 2 in my category...geezzz age really......and 2nd overall out of all the CAT 2 women! Not bad for my first real MTB race.....

It was a great day the temps were perfect...i only ate Sh$@! once...was able to pull it together! Thanks to Misty for pushing/pulling me....you are awesome! And also Scott and others I saw on the trail and to all the volunteers and sponsors...you made it a great race...and to all the MTB'ers who embraced me on this day...but mostly my friends who encouraged me to do this, stood by my side.... and pushed me out of my comfot zone...I truly reached inside my self and raced with courage...

100_0179.jpg

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Nice job!! Good to meet you today :)

3. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

Allison it truly was great to meet you finally after reading your blogs and following you...I am going to come to one of your lectures at the shop....I truly admire what you have accomplished...your a role model and inspiration....And congratulations ot Juston awesome finish!

4. Falconer

Falconer Who are you? who who

Falconer/Animal trainer
    Wait a minute! Where are the other riders that placed 2nd...3rd...4th.... Were you the only women in your age bracket.
    Somethings fishy here.........

5. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

Made friends with Falocner....we PM'ed and hope to ride together someday! Great guy BTW.............no negative posts

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think it was a friendly joke :)

Sometimes people have families or something and don't stick around for the podium (especially due to the long time between the finish and awards - it happens a lot). That or they could've been in their campsite, didn't hear, etc.

You show up, you race your race, you win - good on you. Can't worry about what is going on with everyone else :)

7. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    I'm sure that was a joke.

8. Falconer

Falconer Who are you? who who

Falconer/Animal trainer
    Whoa...... Yes I was just joking . I actually thought that picture was taken some time after the awards
    ceremony . I was going to write just kidding then I thought naw......everyone will know I am playing
    around. Now I feel bad I did not want my comment to hurt Ajsura .(open mouth insert foot!)
    For that I am quite sorry. I really do congratulate Ajsura on her noble effort.
    You should be rightfully proud of your accomplishment with all the riding you have done (2,000 miles)
    this year, there is no doubt in my mind you are a force to be reckoned with on the trail and any race
    you enter.

9. Tktbc

Tktbc New Member

Congrats on the win I did that race cat 2 and finishing that course is no easy task it was very technical and challenging ,GOOD JOB!!!!! Ajsura

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Wow........pot calling the kettle black.....huh?

Racing is fun.....no matter where you finish....I only wish I had the racing bug to do it more.

11. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    SuperD was SuperFun as always. Katie and the crew provided another great chapter in my life and for that I appreciate all their hard work.
    Got there and met Shudder and Willie as well as BVader, Cynthia and Simon and a few other STR go'ers & do'ers.
    Rolled up to the start, hit the record button on the GoPro...and realized I left the memory card at home! Dooh!!!

The trail was great and I felt really good all the way down. Thought I was killing it and ended up mid-pack. That's the joy of raceing. So much fun though!

Hope all had a good time this weekend. Congrats to all!

Shudder and Cynthia
    2011May1 005.jpg

12. Oldskool

Oldskool Old School MX'r

Gen. Const. - Sr. Project Mgr.
    Great job AJ! Nice to see you picking up your game, which was pretty good already!!

13. whybother

whybother New Member

Awesome weekend of racing. I finally got to race the ISC (long course + stage race)!! It has been a few years in the making. I have to say I was very nervous going into the race as I have struggled with the big loop format and longer races, but things worked out and I had a blast!

Highlights of the weekend were 1) Pre-riding the TT course on Saturday evening as the sun was setting with Allison and Eric (I love riding bikes with my wife!), 2) Chipotle burritos for dinner Saturday night followed by FroYo, 3) having an awesome post-race pizza, brews, and dessert with DMac, Luke, and the Turners!!!

Now my focus turns to trying to drop a couple lbs, pick up some serious speed, and make a run at winning Nationals. Never know what might happen, with big changes on the horizon I may never get a shot like this at Nationals. Gonna be a fun ride!!!!!

14. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

Truly nice to have offically met you and Allison you insprie me not just with riding but the fact you both found someone to "roll" with...that's great!...great story....and I am glad to hear you get nervous too......Makes me feel better.....

I'll see you both around and will be watching your times at Nationals! and looking forward to seeing you on the podium!

15. CarlS

CarlS Member

Congrats to anyone who finished out there whether you placed or not, it was tough. This was my first "real" mtb race as well and I also did the Cat2 course. That climb up lower South Ridge trail really kicked my ass. I finished 5th in my class. I just can't imagine doing the long course, and those who did are really amazing. I volunteered to "sweep" on Sunday on the time trial and SD courses. Those who didn't ride those courses on Sunday should sign up for it next year. The Time trial short course was really sweet. next year I will do all three for sure.

:clap:Special thanks to Katie and all the other people who make this event possible.
    I had a great time.

16. CarlS

CarlS Member

katie.jpg
    Katie

did anyone see the 3 unicylces that did the SuperD on Sunday??? holy cow! talk about crazy
    unicycle.jpg

17. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

Congratulations and well put! You are a star and thank for posting pics! Yes everyone who even came out in my book was w inner...I wish I could have stayed for Sunday I am sure it was fun.....I prerode this course for the first time ever nad did hte long one...I was so glad I signed up for the shorter course by far...maybe next year we will upgrade.....?????

18. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    took some pics at the race on saturday. beautiful place up there. i think im taking my family there to camp later. congrats to everyone who raced. www.inclinephotography.com[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

Wow beautiful picks! and yes we are coamping next year fo sure

20. 29erturkey

29erturkey New Member

Great photos!!! Was this course mainly single track? what the elevation? looks like it was alot of fun I'll have to make a point to hit this next year.