Downhill I joined the Darkside.

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by afgenkuong, Oct 23, 2009.

1. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I saw the Darkside. And I'm joining it!

I don't know whats up today or what but I dunno. Today I did 5Oaks in Aliso, usually I'm pretty sketchy about it and I think about it too much... I don't know what happend today. Today was my first day out with my new Oakley Crowbar Enduro goggles. I also forgot to take gloves today.

I don't know what happened! I started at the top and I just went! I cleared pretty big air both on the dirt and concrete jump. Bombed down the little bumpy section. Bunnyhopped off of the step-thing. Bombed down the curve to the bottom. Continued fairly fast, bunnyhopped off of the second ledge. Took the steep/inclined turn pretty quick. Blasted over some roots, all the way down. Committed to the berm. Rode off all the little walls on the way down. Pointed straight down the rock-garden-ish thing, in-between the trees, and out!

Man I don't know what happened! Today I just went! I was totally in control and didn't doubt my self! I think my goggles alienated my body from my vision, if that makes sense. Really, I've never had a better adrenaline rush or that much fun in a really long time! Usually I'm not really committed to DH, but man... today was unreal.

Also, without gloves, I felt like I had a lot more control over the bike and the bars. The only problem that I had on the ride was that when I really bent into turns, my shoes would hit the ground and clip out... time to switch over to flats with 5.10s...

2. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Spesh Lo-Pros vs. Azonic 420s. Which one!?

3. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    I have the specialized pedals and enjoy them quite a lot with my 5-10s.

How is the condition of 5 oaks?
    Glad to hear you had a nice ride. 5 oaks is pretty fun.

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

What happened was, you moved to goggles. Less wind in your eyes, means you are perceiving your speed differently. Most everyone I know has picked up some speed when switching to goggles.

5. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    If you gained speed by putting on goggles, wait 'til you put on a full-face! Watch out DH world...the mad Aliso climber is turning the other direction. :bang:

6. Orangesicle

Orangesicle New Member

Crank Brothers Mallet 2 Pedal &

Shimano DX SH-MP66W BMX Shoe

clip in and fugettaboutit. The best interface.
    Awesome combo. Clipped in and lots of float.
    Tons of pedal power. Super poppy off the jumps too.
    I drag heel on big g-out landings sometimes too.

7. sethwestphal

sethwestphal New Member

photographer
    went for my 2nd ride on my new enduro and im rocking lo-pros ... get them, my feet never moved at all!

8. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Chris was nice enough to lend me his wifes lo-pros. ;) I pedaled aroudn the block for about ten minutes, in my skate shoes, they didn't move at all! Wide pedals too! Can't wait to try them out.

5Oaks is in pretty good condition. Most of it has packed up. There are still sections that are kind of dusty, because when the rain came, it all flowed into the ruts.

I'll probably still ride XC. I need to get a pedal wrench though! Friday afternoons are usually my DH days. :bang:

9. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    Pretty soon you'll forget all about that crazy fad they call 'pedaling uphill'...

10. Framekiller

Framekiller Professional Lurker.

professional slacker
    WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE

[​IMG]

11. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    All that's needed to seal the deal is a weekend trip on a DH bike. Just think 5 Oaks is pretty tame...