I got ran over by a mountain biker

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by karen, Jan 16, 2009.

1. karen

karen New Member

personal torturer (trainer) and artist
    I got ran over by a mountain biker the other day on Orangegrove in Whittier. Usually I'm riding but I was hiking it this day with my friend (she doesn't ride otherwise I would have). Anyway, we heard someone yell and I went to jump in the bushes and got slammed. My friend said I landed on my head and rolled a bunch of times. It felt like I got hit by a car. He flew over me and scraped his arm. He tried to blame me for the accident. He said he yelled out and we should have gotten out of his way and we shouldn't have been hiking in the middle of the trail. I was so mad. I don't think he knew we were there, he just assumed since he yelled a warning out he'd be clear to bomb down the hill. I just reacted and jumped off to the side into the bushes. Not enough time to make it though. I can't believe I got nailed that hard. I ended up going to ER cause of head injury. Luckily all I got was slight concussion, sprained shoulder and a bunch of bruised ribs and pulled muscles. My head bled a little but luckily didn't split. It could have been much worse. Anyway, my friend and I ended up yelling at him for trying to blame us and for being reckless. He changed his tone after I told him I was a rider too. I know that accidents happen, it just sucks it happened to me.

2. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    That does suck...lucky for him you're a rider too. Someone else might have given mountain bikers in general a bad name by reporting the incident (which obviously would have been your right, given your injuries).

There will always be inconsiderate people on the trail, whether they are riding, hiking, dog walking, etc. Unfortunately, bikers have the ability to inflict the most damage when they are out of control on the trail (except for maybe a rabid dog!).

Glad to hear you are okay; it could have been a whole lot worse for you and your friend if you hadn't reacted quickly.

Healing vibes to you :wave:

3. ray321

ray321 turnbull local

dispatcher
    Karen, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you feel better soon. By the way what time of the day did this happen? I ride Whittier often do you remember the rider and his bike?

4. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
  5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Karen glad you where not more seriously hurt, I doubt I would be as forgiving. I wonder what would have happened if he would have hit a small child...he is a idiot. There are plenty of places to bomb that have unobstructed views down the trail.

Dean

6. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Really sorry to hear about that Karen. It's fools like the one that ran into you (and their actions) that demonize our sport. Hope you're OK.

7. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

IMA Racer

Too offen I see that mentality on the trails. Years ago it was never like that. M-Bikers had the feeling that riding these trails as a privilege and that we were kind of enchroaching on the hiking trails.

Now for many m-bikers it is all about drinking a Mountain Dew and making their best time so they can boast on their blog.

Instead of HTFU.......how about STFD (slow the * down) and give the hikers a break.

Sorry for the rant......... :)

8. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

That's an a-hole for you. I'd be livid and would've most likely stuck him with my medical bills, at the very least. There's no room in mountain biking for riders who ride that recklessly and then have the nerves to blame you for it. It doesn't matter if you're a mountain biker or not. No excuse for being a moron. I'm glad it wasn't worse. I'm sorry for your bad experience. You could have been seriously hurt and he should have known better.

9. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Hmmmmmm.....

I think the term "ride in control" comes to mind... as Dean says there are plenty of places to bomb with unobstructed views.

Glad to hear it was nothing serious! :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Even if one sets aside the fact that the rider was completely irresponsible by being so out of control as to hit a hiker, the thing that amazes me is that these idiots don't even stop to see if their victim is okay. It's a "hit-and-run" mentality which -I feel- has no place in our sport.

Once, last year, I was riding in LCWP and came across a woman who'd been run-down by a MTBer. Same thing: the guy took off, even though the woman obviously needed medical attention beacuse of his actions. Bad.

11. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Karen,

Sorry to hear about your encounter with this idiot. YOU know the majority of riders are NOT like this. Thanks for sticking to your guns and shelling him from the riders point of view. I can imagine myself as a hiker walking through places I normally ride and thinking "I'd better be on my toes, because we usually come flying through this section", so I know you were aware and did everything you could to give the guy room, even though YOU had the right of way, and he was going TOO FAST to stop. The fact that he was yelling (had, a bell, squealed like a pig, what-ever) doesn't change the fact that WE as mountain bikers know to yield to hikers, and to uphill traffic. Period.

That said, as I read your account again, I'm betting you almost jumped right in front of him as he was trying to go around you, which is probably why HE was initially upset. What we have here is a opportunity to learn and to teach at the same time. I'm hoping somehow that this information makes it back to the offending member of the mountain biking community (although I doubt this guy rides with STR).

I think he should hike a few of the trails he rides. I think we should all try to get a different perspective on sharing the trails. I'm sorry you got hurt, but I'm hopeful that your story will help us realize If we're not very careful, we MAY hurt one of our own. Nothing would make me feel worse.

12. panteratwork

panteratwork Member

Bikes/Music/Film
    sorry to hear about that!I would never tolerate unresposible behavior!I would of took his bike away! Plus make him pay for bills! I always try to have the loudest bells! Bells should be a must for every one going on a trail! Even hikers/Pets!

Beginers/rookies getting thier feet wet! [-X[-X

13. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    What did his bike look like? What did the rider look like?

14. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Rider

Mexican guy on a Pivot wearing a Red Sox shirt

15. G-MONEY

G-MONEY International Playboy

Infotainment
    Karen-- I am really sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident and wish you a speedy recovery. Such reckless action from one of our own is totally inexcusable and it makes me wish all MTB'rs were mandated to go through a skills/etiquette course. As someone who also occasionally hikes the trails he rides, the range of behavior exhibited by riders I've witnessed was truly eye-opening. It's totally given me a different perspective on how we're perceived out there and drove home the point that we're all ambassadors for our sport every time we get on our bikes. If there is anything positive to come from your pain, I hope that it raises more self-awareness amongst us all. Get well soon! :wave:

Of course, he would be a RED SOX THUG...

16. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    and elvis glasses

17. guero

guero iFroth

picture of the perp....

i found this shot online of the potential perp...

[​IMG]

in all seriousness, i'm glad you weren't hurt too bad karen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  18. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    sorry to hear about the incident

that blows- sorry to hear about the incident, hope you get better soon. These incidents give all of us a bad name.

19. karen

karen New Member

personal torturer (trainer) and artist
    thanks everyone for your support. The guys name is Ed. I got his number so he can pay for my med bills. I'll let you know if he doesn't pay up. Anyway, just wanted everyone to know that this can happen. I think it's pretty rare. But luckily, I'm a rider and I understand. I don't want this to happen to anyone else, especially a nonrider or a kid. I'm still going to ride and hike up there and I don't want to get hit again. Maybe I should wear a helmet and carry a shield just in case. (just kidding, about the shield). Anyway, i'll be out for a couple weeks atleast. I'm stuck in bed so if anyone has any interesting riding tales let me know so I can live my next two weeks vicariously through you guys. Happy riding!!

20. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

get well soon