I crashed hard at Aliso on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by patkel, Jun 16, 2008.

1. CaDownhilldoll

CaDownhilldoll New Member

work pt at 3 jobs and looking
    OUCH!! That's scary!! I LOVE that trail,!!

Happy Healing!!!

2. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    the first time my wife saw a full face helmet she said, "you're not allowed to do anything that requires that kind of helmet." :lol:

3. ransom

ransom Member

Sales
    Man I hope you feel better soon.

I'm going to asume that your are right handed. I have to give you props for creating and typing this RR left handed while with one eye closed.

4. Lizardterd

Lizardterd Member

EEK...good to see ya standing... take care, heal soon and get back out there...:)

5. intensworks

intensworks nomadismachismojis

Boring
    Heal up quickly my friend

6. slapfan1

slapfan1 New Member

Ninja
    Heal soon, and glad to see that it wasn't any worse.
    :beer::beer::beer:

7. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    Ouch!

Well, I always wondered what would happen if I crashed on Rock-it. Next time I think I will be a little more cautious on the way down. Glad you are still in one piece. Hope U Heal Fast......:)

8. GOGrannyGO

GOGrannyGO Titaneous Member

Hmmm, RockIt...

I see a trend. I've been OTB and bounced down that one. Fortunately my ass took the brunt of it. Took a couple weeks for that bruise to go away.

When/if you get a new cast, make sure you bring in something to mold your grip to fit your bars. 8-[

9. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    If you go down on that central section of Rock-it you're in for a major injury. The rocks are all layered and saw toothed. No matter which bit of you lands first it'll probably break. It amazes me that people risk flying down the centre so fast. Also amazes me that people whine about taking the far left or right side when the centre is alot more dangerous than it first appears. Hope you heal fast man. :)

10. ocmtnbiker911RN

ocmtnbiker911RN New Member

speedy recovery to you. I've seen the other riders at Mission. Someone was looking after you.

11. pinoiryder

pinoiryder New Member

Logistics Manager
    fast healing and prayers for you bro..

12. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Tis the brave man that takes the hits with the body to save his bike. Hope you and your bike are united again soon on the trail, instead of separated on Rock It. Healing vibes your way, get back on the machine and conquer it.

13. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

HOLY CARP! You must have been flying (both literally and figuratively) down Rock-it. It's a good thing for you that chick dig scars - you're bound to give *insert latest Hollywood boy toy here* a run for his money when you heal up.

BTW - how's the bike? (since no one asked...)

14. GOGrannyGO

GOGrannyGO Titaneous Member

KeithB:If you go down on that central section of Rock-it you're in for a major injury. The rocks are all layered and saw toothed. No matter which bit of you lands first it'll probably break. It amazes me that people risk flying down the centre so fast. Also amazes me that people whine about taking the far left or right side when the centre is alot more dangerous than it first appears. Hope you heal fast man. :)

Sorry Keith, had to fix your sig for ya.

15. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    LOL! I think you misunderstand the quote, but amusing all the same.

16. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

IMHO there is no better line on Rock-it than right down the center.

17. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

thats why i don't go down Mathis... uber gnar

18. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Werd. Climb and descend Cholla all day. Good times.

19. patkel

patkel STR

Thanks everybody. I forgot to mension that my bike didn't even get a scratch even though I remember looking ahead and my bike slammed reel hard in front of me. The crash was at the last of the rock section and thought I was riding smooth. I was headed right for two rocks with a hole between them and I decided to hop over. The next thing I remember is my face in the dirt. I'm not sure If my back tire hit the rock and sent my front down or my front tire got squirrely because it was going flat. I didn't notice the front tire was reel low on air until after the crash. See you on the trail soon.

20. locomoto

locomoto New Member

I was there

I was the guy that luckily was there to help him when he crashed. My name is Daron by the way. I met him on the way up Cholla and was about to split off from him and go down Lynx as he was headed for Rockit. After he headed off up to Rockit I had a sudden change of heart to go down Rockit with him so I caught up to him before we started down. He got ahead of me just in time for the single track and was flying down on his 5 inch 29er. I was working pretty hard to hang with him. We got going down the rocky part of Rockit and he was 70 feet or so ahead of me I'm guessing and I figured I might be able to catch up a little through the real rough part on my 6 inches of travel. I was a little more than halfway down and going as fast as I could when he was at the very bottom of the rocky section just about to finish it and I was thinking no big deal as he was transitioning to the dirt. All of a sudden he just went over the bars right at the transition and looked like he face planted pretty hard...the dirt is very hard right there and there is also rock. I was thinking....that's a really odd place to crash as he'd had already flown through roughest part no problem...also thought it was strange he went over the bars in a spot that wasn't very steep. It looked to me like he may have locked up his front brake...he later found out if front tire was somewhat flat which may have caused it. Luckily I had just enough time to hit my brakes and miss him. I saw that he was bleeding as he was covering his left cheek and eye. I asked him to show me where he was hurt and couldn't believe how big and open the cuts were! I was like...you are probably going to want a plastic surgeon...you are cut pretty bad. I didn't want to scare him, but those are the worst facial cuts I have ever seen...looked like chunk of his upper left cheek was missing. I was also a little concerned because his eye looked droopy and squished. I was afraid there might be more than cuts such as bone damage or something. Anyway, we rode back only to realize his hand was probably broken. I'm just glad I was there to help and felt really bad how hurt he got. Best wishes and a humble reminder of how easy it is to get hurt mountain biking.