Hydraulic brakes to replace Elixir 1's... recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by ScottQ, Mar 23, 2014.

1. wheeler

wheeler Member

I run Hope brakes and they are fantastic. I tried my buddies bike with XT brakes and they are impressive and a great value.

2. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

It's just most don't have as many issues once they figure out how to properly bleed them and the new shimano brake bleed system is super simple and incredibly quick to do. On the flip side, I know lots of people that are experienced wrenches that have had to rebleed avids several times to get them to work properly... I did have a set of code 5s once that worked awesome and seemed to bleed easy. I lent them out but they were never returned. I did miss those brakes for awhile until I tried the new XT's on my dh rigs a few years back.

3. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Also love my XT's...over 1600 miles and haven't had to think about them except for a few sets of pads and one new set of rotors.

For what it's worth, I am trying cheaper rotors (Hayes V7 and V6) and after over 200 miles really can't tell the difference. They were much cheaper than Ice Tech rotors (about $20 each). You might save some money there.

4. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Scott,

I know I already voted (SLX, XT w/ Ice Tech rotors)...
    With that said, there are PLENTY of spectacular new/used options available to you.
    Formula and Hope make brakes that can stop a car. The NEW Avid's (Trail) brakes are light years better than Avid's of the past (i.e. Juicy and Elixr models).

Another thing to consider:
    Many of those making the switch from Avid / Formula /Hope to Shimano have commented that it takes a ride or two to "get used to" the ON / OFF feel of the Shimano brakes (Formula and Hope have their own unique feel). I never had that problem (loved the Shimano's immediately).

Not trying to throw a stick in your spokes.... Simply trying to help you make an informed decision!

5. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    If you have the money, go Hope! I went hope and never looked back, second to none!

If you look around, you can find good deals

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I know, I am just pointing put that if you do things wrong even Shimano have issues.

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Funny I would take Avid over Formula in a heart beat. I had formula the one brakes stock on a bike and were horrible. Not a lot of power and horrible to setup. Getting them not to rub the rotors took an act of god.

8. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
  9. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

True, nothing is infallible. First time I bled my xt's with the funnel I made the mistake of over tightening the bleedport screw on my xts and it leaked like crazy. You only need about an inch pound of force or so in order for it to seal.

10. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

SHIMANO! they have a 70% market share! SLX, XT, XTR, SAINT you can't go wrong. Although the newer SRAM xo trail brakes have a real nice feel to them and I even run them on one of my bikes!

11. b.martin

b.martin New Member

I just got a new set of Formula ROs for $295 on ebay and they are impressive! Running them with ice tech rotors and they are silent. Had RXs before which are now on my second bike and still running great too. Almost bought shimanos this time around but didn't want the extra weight over formulas.

12. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I've never had a problem with my Avid Elixirs.

I've also never had a problem with my Avid Juicy 3s, although they get annoyingly noisy after riding through water.

I'm sure there are better brakes out there, but these work just fine.

13. dcrfx

dcrfx Member