How to fire a customer in 10 minutes or less

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by mtnbikerfred, May 14, 2008.

1. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    Uh, hollow pin chains notwithstanding, a tube IS stronger than a rod, and that is why bridges, bikes and other such trussed structures are made with tubes instead of solid. The poor kid was half-right.

I can't believe you broke a hollow pin chain. You must be an animal. Ya freakin' cross-chainer. :D

2. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    -It was a year ago and I do not recall the exact PN.
    -Used a Power Link, but that's not where it broke.
    -His behavior was both. Endorse a product and tell me what you run and why, but don't make up BS about a part and then be surprised when said BS turn out to be....BS!

3. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Please read my First Post!!

So "Lackey",

What have YOU done that you KNOW burned a customer for your shop? :p :D :p :D

I'd really like to keep this thread to specific things we'd all like to see improved at our LBS. I'd just as soon not have any shops/employees named UNLESS you're admitting it was your fault...

4. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    I can think of quite a few times when I was just super slammed with work and gave someone a very short, less than complete response......then realized it afterwards and felt like a jerk.

That being said.....I can also think of quite a few times where I was really trying to be helpful/offer the best info possible and the customer got the wrong impression and left angry. These are the most frustrating.....where you're really doing everything you can to make the customer happy but they just aren't going to be.

The thing that folks need to remember is that most shop employees are really hard workers who love what they do. That being said there are alot of things that fall outside of our control. A special order that would normally take a day or two can sometimes wind up taking 2 weeks or more if the vendor is flakey or the item is out of stock. The right thing to do is call the customer and let them know....but when there are 20 or soo special orders per day and a shop full of people that need help.....it gets tough!

Anywho......we(the shop employees of the world) appreciate the feedback.

B

5. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Some of my common gripes:

1. Order part, but it was apparently not ordered (after I repeatedly call to ask if it's in, but no one clues in to check if it's been ordered). This seems to happen a lot, even at the "good" shops. This is why I like mailorder.

2. "Yes, we have that part." Go there...oops, we don't have it.
    2A. "Oh, we just sold that part" - especially lame when it's a part that is not in demand, and no one would ever realistically need it (yeah, except me).

3. Don't talk to me like I'm clueless. Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I don't know anything - I may just want your opinion.

4. Counter people too lazy to check if they have a part.
    4A. Counter people who are too stupid to find someone else who knows that the part is.
    4B. When no one in the shop knows what the part is or says the part doesn't exist, despite that it's in the QBP or KHS catalog.

5. Doesn't stock service parts. That's great that a shop may carry a Fox fork, but it's lame if it doesn't have any service parts (applies to brakes, forks, high end components, etc.)

6. I like to browse a lot. I hate when a clueless floor guy stalks me. Though, I'm ok if the guy can actually answer my questions.

7. Single-line "concept" stores that only carry one brand (i.e., Specialized or Trek). They generally don't stock anything useful except complete bikes and overprice tubes.

8. Me: "Do you have this part?"
    Shop guy: "No, but this part will work just as well."
    Me: "Do you know the part I'm talking about and why it's special?"
    Shop guy: "Not exactly, but this will work just as well - we've been using this part for years. This is all you need."
    Me: "Idiot."

9. "We don't have it, but we can order it for you." - I hate this when I first need to find out if that particular clothing item even fits or is comfortable. I'm not going to order it unless I first try it on!

10. When a product fails and it's blamed on user error, when it was clearly a product design failure.

I do all my own service work, so I take that chance of frustrations out of the equation.

6. station

station Is this thing on?

So I have to say on the other side of the coin I know customers are a huge pain in the ass. I don't know how some people put up with us. But I guess that's why they are there. So I'm going to just say thanks for all the shop people that take their time and really help out. Thanks.

7. davidB

davidB Active Member

F/R red Hope floating rotors 160mm?:?: :D

edit: thanks for the PM :)

8. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    am sure it holds true for LBS customers but alot of time its just plain not being too knowledgable...which i think in acceptable.

not that a person in a LBS needs to know everything but when they dont know they NEED to ask someone to give the customer a real answer instead of making sh!t up.

I cannot tell you how many times I hear BS from a shop guy/gal as they are selling something to a customer and I'm just pissed i have to listen to this cr@p. In some (very very few cases) I have politely brought it to the attention of the customer they may want to ask another saleperson for some help. candidly i've seen it mostly in the "larger/franchised" shops or bike sections of sporting good stores

Trust me i am no expert and if i know more than the shop person you are in trouble!

That said, in the "generic" sense I used to live in NYC and could not believe some of the BS that customers would through at people selling them/serving them, etc. (not that that stuff doesn't go on everwhere...but drove me crazy there)

While its our $$$ we are spending and we deserve a solid level of service and respect so does anyone. you cannot treat someone in a shop like sh!t just because you are dropping some coin.

just be human all around

9. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Nice feedback everyone........what would also be cool to see things from a shop guys perpective would be to post some of the stupid things customers do/say so both sides are clearly expressed....................I gotta bout a million of em.

10. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Word.

B

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I've been on the shop side. I don't think STR has enough server space to include all or even most of the funny stories! Nonetheless, start a thread about it! Be careful, though. I wouldn't have expected Joe Truth to make that comment about the kickstand not being included (despite the price tags almost always indicating that it's not included and showing its price).

12. Kid A

working 4 da man
    i say go for it...then we can all guess which knucklehead on the board was the culprit (no stories about me, right?!?)

13. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

I'll start a "shop story" thread tonight. No names named.just good humor. Hopefully we'll get some good ones. I'll have to be very discreet with this one.

14. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    bad mechanic practices...fork installed...ooops forgot the lower race on the fork...
    -or-
    using a steel hammer to tap an upper crown into place...ever hear of a rubber mallet? on this one I stopped the guy and went behind the counter and used the rubber mallet myself.
    -or-
    using a flat head screw driver as a tire lever

WTF!!!!...all very bad and potentially very very expensive.

15. 6packguywith5spot

6packguywith5spot New Member

Loanshark
    Ok,

first of all, I don't work for a bike shop and not trying to defend them, but if you switch places with them, you will realize that most bike shop employees don't earn alot, so they don't really want to try their hardest to answer all your questions or look for a hard to find part you are looking for, and there are times that they are too new to their jobs, they don't have any clue what you are looking for.

Second thing is that there are only the shop owners make a 1/2 decent money, and they have all these expenses that we don't see. High rent, advertising expenses, high insurance fees, high electricity and having to deal with lots of theft and loss due to bad customers / employees and other bills, and recently having to price match trying to compete with the online vendors with alot less overheads, due to their smaller size of operation and not having to have a prime retail location in the middle of a busy mall? They mainly operate in a remote location with off of a warehouse with cheap rent and .....

Yes, there are times that they lie on the phone just to get you in, but when you are in, you don't get the proper attention and............

I understand all that and it sucks, but again, we have to deal with them often.

One thing that pisses me off most is when they don't take the time to see if you are a potential buyer and instead they treat you rude. This happend to me with beyond bikes here in San Diego.

I walked into their store ready to buy an Ellsworth ID with $4 cash in my pocket and the stupid store manager, " bald guy with goatie " didn't take me serious enough.

I end up buying my Turners directly from Turner shotly after I had the stupid encounter with the stupid manager at behind bars bike.

I will take my business where they appriciate it and I will make sure in a nice way to bring my concern to their attention so they know they can lose a potential customer in 30 seconds.

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I dont like shops that wont give me a free bike! Stupid shops:lol:

17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I hope you didn't tell him that you only had $4 with you! :lol:

18. Kid A

working 4 da man
    Shweeeeet - so you scored 2 turners, instead right ;)

[​IMG]

19. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Here is my worst one ever (long - sorry). I got a new Marzocchi Z1 a ways back, which come stock with medium springs. I call a certain bike shop, no problem, firm springs in stock. So I make the 16-mile drive, paid the $34.99, drive home, and proceed to swap the springs. Oops they don't quite seat right in the stanchions, meaning I can't screw the top caps back on. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Bring the whole bike back to the shop the next day (Friday) to show them the problem. Oh, of course, wrong springs.

Week 1 -
    LBS guy: "We don't have those, but we'll order them today and we'll have them early next week. Leave your bike and we'll even install them. Come back on Tuesday." So I drive back on Tuesday....
    Me: "Is my bike ready?"
    LBS guy: "Which bike is yours again?" I describe it, and the work needed...."Oh yeah, let me check." Disappears in the back.
    15 minutes later....
    Me: "Hey did you find out what's up with those springs?"
    LBS guy: "Oh yeah, I forgot. Hang on, be right back."
    15 minutes later....
    Me: "Hey did you find out what's up with those springs?"
    LBS guy (clearly making something up and blowing me off): "Uh....oh yeah, we ordered the springs but they're not here yet, try next week."
    Me: "What, you only get one shipment a week? Marzocchi is one day away if you ship UPS ground, which will only cost a few bucks. Just have them ship it, I'll even pay for it. I'd like to ride this weekend."
    LBS guy (starting to get a little attitude now): "We consolidate all of our shipments from them into one weekly shipment, so if we didn't get it, they don't have it in stock."
    Me: "I find that hard to believe but ok." I’m kinda miffed by now and forget to take my bike back, but don't realize it until I get home. I'm not driving back. I guess I'm not riding this weekend. I wait a week and call back....

Week 2 -
    LBS guy: "No, they haven't shown up yet. I'll call Marzocchi to see what the problem is, and then give you a call to let you know what's up." No callback. I drive there the next day, and literally get the exact same thing again, verbatim. I ask for the manager, but conveniently, the manager was not in. I take my bike back this time so I don't go another weekend without riding. Soft springs is better than no ride. Again, no callback. I call twice later in the week, and was put on hold for 20 minutes both times before hanging up. The weekend is here now, so we start over again....

Week 3 -
    LBS guy: "Sorry buddy, still no springs."
    Me: "Let me talk to your manager." I explain the situation....
    Manager: "I don't show any record of these springs being ordered. When did you come in?"
    Me: "Uh like 3 weeks ago."
    Manager: "I'm sorry to hear that, I'll order these personally and have them shipped next day. Come in tomorrow to pick them up." I wait 2 days to make sure and call. Neither the manager nor the original guy is in, and the guy who answered had no record of any Marzocchi springs being ordered or received. I call the next day and get the original guy again.
    LBS guy: "Um yeah, my manager says that we need to get a deposit from you before we order the springs."
    Me: "A deposit? For some $30 springs? Are you f***ing kidding me?"
    LBS guy: "Take it easy buddy, no need to get worked up."
    Me: "Hey d***pouch, do you realize that I paid for these a month ago?"
    LBS guy: "Huh?"
    Me: "Forget it. I'm driving down there now. I want a refund and I want to speak to the manager." I make the 16-mile drive yet again. I see the guy when I walk in and he goes in the back to get his manager upon seeing me.
    Manager: "I just wanted you to know I just got off the phone with Marzocchi. Your springs will be here on Tuesday." I doubt that was true.
    Me: "Nope. I've been lied to multiple times and I lost two weekends of riding due to your shop's incompetence. I just want my money back."
    Manager: "We don't do cash refunds, only store credit."
    Me: "I'm not leaving until you do, and not only will you give my money back, you will delete my customer record from your computer, because I will never be back." By then I was raising a stink. The owner who had overheard everything, quietly got the manager's attention and nodded. I got my cash and have never been back. I later learned that the shop had just recently been sold to new owners, and now I hear there are new owners/managers again, so we'll have to see. I would never believe such bad business practices exist if it didn’t actually happen to me. Meanwhile, on the way home, I called another shop, they ordered them and I picked up the springs the very next day. Go figure.

20. 6packguywith5spot

6packguywith5spot New Member

Loanshark
    I got a brand new 5 Spot frame and a fully build 6 pack, that I currently have. Much better deal, but I end up paying more than $4 which is all right to me.

No Lee. What is in the pocket is always a secret. Am waiting for an adaptor from Magura to get the bike going with the new Talas. Can't wait.

Take care,

Ali