How much road biking should a mountain biker do?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Sweetpea, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Road biking has helped my singlespeeding. I kid you not. And I'm sure I'm not the only one out there either.

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

3. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

4. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    none.

KeepsWhatHappens

5. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Lois,

Isn't Frank on ODC into road biking? I am sure he can answer all your questions. Seems like you are around alot of good road bikers on ODC. Of course there some here too on STR. Just a thought.

There is some road biking going on with the Trail Angels. I can let you know of some rides.

Also just ask all the bikers in Costa Mesa - the one's with the lights (hahaha). Nice sense of humor you have.

You did bring up a good thought road biking to improve my mtn biking. Oh Wait! Mtn biking doesn't leave me anytime for roadbiking.

See you on the trails.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Hey Doug,

I guess I should be bouncing more then I am, but I think most is just ribbing and they really don't have a clue about road riding ( their loss), so if you think it's getting a little to much I'll keep an eye out for it and ask them to stop.

7. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Go get um Rodie Forum moderator. :bang:

Doug,

If memory serves me you got into biking to loose weight? I was a pretty active MTBer for over 4 years and didn't really loose weight. Within 6 months of road biking I lost 15 pounds and have lost several inches off the waist. Case in point I put on a pair of pants this morning I had custom tailored in China this past June. They are at least an 1.5 inches too big. None of my work pants fit anymore. This dang biking habit is costing me tons of money. :)

8. cH4os

cH4os LIVE IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT

PMO
    Ride Fixie.

Roll to Laguna Beach then just go up and down hills.. dont take PCH...

It has really improved my climbing... and my endurance...

9. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I don't think anything needed to be moderated. I just had to say something, since the roadie forum was created so that kind of stuff wouldn't happen. The first comment was funny, but then it just got old. If I wanted to make a joke and saw that 2-3 people beat me to it, it sort of takes a different tone at that point if I go ahead and make it anyway, IMHO.

Congrats on the weight loss!!:clap:

I got into MTB'ing because it's fun. The health benefits are icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

I am looking forward to road biking to see if it will build my endurance on the dirt. The only reason I'm going to start road riding is to make myself better on the dirt.

And I don't mind saying: as someone who has been hit by cars twice while riding on the road, the thought of mixing it up with SoCal drivers again scares the crap out of me.

10. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    Careful PacMan, you might like it. You'll then do strange things like do rides of an arbitrary distance (100 miles) just to do them. You might arbitrarily decide to do one 100 mile ride a month, just because.

Fallbrook is near some great riding. Couser and Rice Canyons are favorites, as is South Grade Road on Palomar Mountain.

11. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    O.K., if it also makes one lose weight, I'm riding that road.

Here's one more benefit: this morning (trash day), when I was returning from my Back Bay ride, I came upon 2 virtually new mtb tires (Kenda & WTB) that someone had thrown out. They still had those little nubbie things on them. So add dumpster diving opportunities to the list of why road biking is good for mountain bikers.;)

12. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    haha, that was super random!!

Hey PacMan. How is your search going for a road bike. Have you tested anything out or have any bikes in mind?

13. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    An important thing to remember too is that you might opt for road rides when you don't have time to load up the mtn bike on the car and do mtn rides. I ride once, sometimes twice a week on the road simply because I can throw my duds on (yes, lycra) and hop out the door, bang out 25 miles in 1.5 hour and be back working in under 2 hours. There's no way I could do the same with my mtn bike. If I didn't ride road, these are the days I wouldn't ride mtn either. I'd be lucky if I could motivate for a run. Bleh.

14. slayer

slayer New Member

i used to be so against road biking. screw spandex and all the other terms that go along with the bashing of roadies. thats how i used to be, but now it's different. i got my first road bike, a $630 specialized allez about 3 months ago to help me with my mountain biking. no, it's not the best bike out there, but it's all i could afford at the time. now i'm hooked, i try to do at least a 50 mile ride with hills once a week, sometimes twice. i can say it has helped me alot. my legs feel fresher longer on the mountain bike now, and my endurance has also improved. just my .02 thanks, chris

15. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    This is a very good point.

16. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I am getting into road biking at the suggestion of many and the help of one AWESOME guy--BJammin. He works at a bike shop here in San Diego and one of his customers gave him a bike (an old Cannondale with a frame that's too big for me) but it had new-ish Campy Chorus parts and pretty nice Mavic Open Pro wheels. He told me he would give me the parts and if I provided a frame he would even build it for me.:bang::bang:

I went to Performance and got one of the Scattante frames--complete with headset and carbon fork for $200 and he actually finished the build today.:)

Here's a thread where I posted one pic of it on the stand at Ben's shop.
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/roadie-hangout/9135-new-road-bike-cc-training.html

I'm picking it up tonight, though I still need to get a saddle for it. I'll be sure to take pics and post them up.

How's your search going?

17. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, I'm interested in the saddle and the ride. You are probably riding in the AM right?? I will have to see if I can work that out. I should be able to.

We can talk about it at Noble. I appreciate the offer bro!!:beer:

18. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    Where are you guys going to ride? I'd like to join you, but need to be to work by noon.

19. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Finding the right saddle is super important, since you're rarely out of it.

I've gone through three so far, and I think I've found the right one (Selle Italia SLR)

It's different for every person, and keep in mind; the bibs you wear make a huge difference.