How much road biking should a mountain biker do?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Sweetpea, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I keep reading that road biking really improves endurance and climbing off road. I've been road riding from my house and around the Back Bay in the a.m. doing maybe 12 miles? at about 15 mph? Something tells me that that's not enough...:-s

2. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I ride out their on the roadie as well. I ride out their after work about 500PM and I only ride their more because the days are getting shorter. I do about two loops their if I can. It has really helped me with my MTB climbing and endurance.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Good question...

I expected some returns after road biking as well, but don't think I've noticed any.

I recently haven't been riding with any regularity, but previously was commuting to/from work 3xweek (9 miles round trip) and riding at lunch a few days a week as well... plus a few road rides here and there on Sunday's.

4. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    I don't think 9-12 miles at a time, essentially an hour of riding, will make much of a difference. I think 3-4 hours at a time, either at a constant pace or with plenty of hills thrown in, a few times a week will do it. I saw improvements on the MTB in a couple of months -- riding faster for longer. To keep my climbing legs, off road climbs on the mtb seems to work for me.

5. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

Lunchtime rides and commuting are excellent starters, but you really need more saddle time, plain and simple. And before you think about targeting specific areas of fitness (ie. intervals). To begin, LSD - "long, steady distance" rides. Anywhere from 2-3 hours (working up to that, of course) in the small (39T) ring with cadence above 85rpm, once a week. These will increase your stamina for those multiple hour mtb rides while pushing cardio fitness to the next level. Once you establish your "base" you can decide what to try next. Lots of material and advice available from this community and others. It's a great change of pace and once you get accustomed to the handling of the bike, the speed is addictive. Not to mention the difference in workouts - hurting you in a completely different way. Have fun and ride safe. :)

6. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    You should ride your bike whether it be on the road or on the dirt every moment of every day for the rest of your life. :)

Then drink lots and lots of beer for recovery.

Sound like a plan?

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Why don't you ride Newport Coast Rd? That section from Bonita Canyon to PCH and back has got plenty of long hills. I ride a loop with that section, 30mi, 2 hours from my house and I think it helps.

But the 4 hour ride with constant effort I think is where the real benefits are. I hope anyways. I'm giving up a day on the mountain bike to do this!

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    As soon as daylight savings ends, can't ride the parks as much so I ride the road more. My commute is 19 miles each way and I try to do it in less than an hour. You will get faster and used to pedalling longer at a higher cadence.

9. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Wow, all the wilderness parks mush shed a small tear Gene. I bet they miss you lots and lots in the winter. :)

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

I call this carb theorapy... and yes it is necessary after every ride to replace those ever necessary carbs...

[​IMG]

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    How do you guys find time during the week to ride 2-3 hours on the road??

I can, just not all at once. Especially once it gets dark at 4:30 pm. I'm fine with riding trails with a light, but I don't trust vehicles enough when drivers can't see.

12. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    I commute and throw in "bonus" miles. The number of days/week decreases in the winter unless I have a 24 hour race in Feb or a multi-day race in April.

In winter I use an old HID Flamethrower for headlight and have 3 "rear" lights: helmet, backpack & bike.

13. PacMan

PacMan New Member

That's my main concern too--cars!! Road riding + cars + dark = no bueno.

I am looking forward to my first loooong road ride though.

Holy crap, did I really just say that??

14. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Right now the first half of the ride it's light out. But I afterwards I wear reflective clothing and use 5 lights. Helmet light (so I can point at drivers to make sure they see me), front blinky light, 3 rear blinky lights. Yeah I feel stupid but visible. I may just ditch the road M-F and just do Harding truck trail at night instead and take my chances with the kitties.

15. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    We can do that now, before it gets dark on our way home... but, I'm not interested in riding around on the skinny roads (where we have decent hills) with no shoulder after dark.

But, once Nov. 3rd rolls around it's gonna be dark at like 5. Since I get out of work at 4:30... not a lot of time for additional miles :)

And, unfortunately I only get an hour for lunch...

16. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Any other Questions?

Q: How much road biking should a mountain biker do?

A: NONE
    B: ZERO
    C: ZILCH
    D: NIL
    E: ALL OF THE ABOVE <----CORRECT ANSWER!!!

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

How much for a M-Biker??

ZERO!!!!!!!!!!#-o

If you want to improve your endurance / strength ride a SS OFF ROAD:bang: Or just put in more saddle time on your current rig.

18. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I agree with you guys that road riding would be O.K. except for the cars on the road part. I guess that I could ride from the Back Bay to the end of the bike path in Irvine a couple times a week. I think that's about 30 miles. I've done it before. I used my HID light and was glad that I did because there were several hikers and dog walkers out there dressed in black, in the dark, and almost invisible.

Rather than go out at night, you can go out early, before work. If you want to ride the bike paths in the Back Bay area, the YMCA at University and Irvine allows anyone to use their showers for $2.

19. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

You guys crack me up.

Almost ALL of the fast XC guys ride a lot of road, plain and simple.

But then again, they all wear lycra and shave their legs, too... so what do they know, right?

20. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

"... I could ride from the Back Bay to the end of the bike path in Irvine a couple times a week. I think that's about 30 miles. I've done it before. I used my HID light and was glad that I did ..."

Good idea about the bike path and the HID. People will definitely NOT be expecting a road bike whizzing past them at 20mph in pitch-black, but that's where the light gets you noticed. I'd take that over cars any day. I was riding the Aliso Creek path home from the Luge last week at around 8pm and had a doe run beside me for about 20 yards then veer into the brush.

Ha, ha! Ticks don't stick to my legs either, bzzzzzzz. :lol: