How much is my bike worth?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by redcheetah, Apr 26, 2008.

1. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

A while back, a guy I know from my lbs sold me this bike as a way for me to get into road riding without spending too much dough. I recently bought a Felt and would like to sell this bike but I do not know its worth as I am not knowledgeable about the road bike values. It is a trek aluminum frame with a full Dura Ace build kit. The kit is in very good shape. There are some small scratches on the brake levers but thats about it. Mavic MA40 wheels I believe laced to Dura Ace hubs. I dont know the size exactly but I am 5'10" and it is just a wee bit small for me.
    Does anyone have any idea about what this is worth?

Attached Files:

2. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    mmmm dura-ace....
    frame is probably between 56 and 58. my guess
    probably somehwere around 600
    also could sell it to some hipster to make one of those fixies. lol
    good luck

3. 6packguywith5spot

6packguywith5spot New Member

Loanshark
    I like your weight rack in the picture. Having all those at home must be nice. You don't have to pay gym membership.

:lol:

4. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

thanks for the info roadkill. I have kinda grown attached to the bike over the years but am looking to buy an all mountain type bike and I just bought the Felt so I think this one needs to go.

Is there a good forum (maybe local) to sell this type of bike on besides craigslist, etc?

5. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

Thanks!

I got all those weights in a sweet deal from the guy who owns the muay thai kickboxing gym I go to. He bought out a gym in Pasadena and had to take the whole lot. He sold me the entire weight set (5#-95#), the rack, a plate rack and the punching bag stand in the background for $350.00 and some manual labor in unloading the rest of the stuff. He just needed it off of the truck and had no space for it. I feel very fortunate to have the setup. Like you said, its saves me on gym membership.

The workout setup at my house is affectionately known as the "prison gym" because its located in the small workshop attached to my house, has concrete floors, and tiny windows. Add to that the rap music and my pit bull mix that loves running around in there and you have yourself a regular ol' rap video.

6. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    You didn't include year, model. It looks like an older trek road bike with downtube shifters and is aluminum just like yours. It looks just like yours except mine has RX600 stuff I think? Anyways mine is a '93 and I got it for $100 and I wouldn't pay much more for mine. Someone above said $600 but that seems high to me but I don't know much about roadies.

Oh I forgot to say that you may be able to find the exact year and model of the bike. I think there is a site called vintage trek road bikes or something that had a big list of the years and models they made and the different colors they came in each year and I believe even gave an estimate as to how much they would be worth today.

7. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    My buddy bought a newer bike, with full 8 speed, Double dura ace companents, including the dual control shifters rather than the paddle ones, and payed $250 for it. It was a Cad 3, and the Dura Ace Parts were Nearyl brand new, with less than 100 miles on the Bike/Parts

8. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    yeah this is a great network...also try velospace.org but dont forget craigslist.. i havent had a bad experience yet....
    that may elp it move quicker also.

the price i mentioned may seem high but if you parted the bike, the vintage dura-ace could go for a pretty penny. couple hundred for the cranks and those hubs are not something to look over.

9. 6packguywith5spot

6packguywith5spot New Member

Loanshark
    $350 is a killer deal for all that. Good deals are out there, you just have to be lucky to be there when there is one.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    The year is what will dictate the value. A Dura Ace groupo sells for over 2,000 for a current one, but after a year it drops off pretty fast. If you were to post it on ebay my guess is you'll get somewhere around 500 for it (depending on the year).

11. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

thanks for all of the info guys. According to vintagetrek the bike is a 2000 series and per the color chart, a 1986 model.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm

I will do a little more research and might try to put it out there on craigslist to test response.

12. TooManyTacos

TooManyTacos Or Not Enough

It might be worth it to part it out. Sometimes people on eBay are looking for "vintage" Dura-Ace stuff for their builds. I've noticed that on eBay, 9 speed Shimano road stuff seems to be going up in price now that things are moving to 10 speed. And like roadkill said, the frame might be a cool find for one of those hipsters.

13. station

station Is this thing on?

I buy road bikes a lot it seems. I have a 04 trek 1000 and I just got a 08 trek 1000 for my girlfriend. Similar parts, but brake shifters. realistically you're looking at $200. It's not old enough or special enough to be a "vintage find", and wouldn't make a great (but maybe good) fixie. Sorry if that sounds mean. I think it's kind of a sweet bike with the paint and drink cages. Actually after looking at it again it might make a sweet fixie. I would put some deep v's on there in contrasting color, maybe one blue, one red, or white. Pull off all the extras, could be pretty cool.

14. jiggawu

jiggawu New Member

Green Building Engineer
    I am certain there is a market for the retro Dura Ace parts. You might want to call American Cyclery in San Francisco, they like to buy & sell the retro stuff, mostly campy and the italian like, but retro dura-ace should fetch a pretty penny. Ebay for your vintage Trek, I think is your best bet. Try also http://www.roadbikereview.com/ to see what you find there. Maybe roadies are looking at retro stuff there.

15. lbmtbgrl

lbmtbgrl Crash-prone

unless you find someone who wants a retro bike, you're probably not going to get much more that $150-2000. the downtube shifters scream '80's. another challenge is replacing the quill stem if it doesn't fit. that's why you have to find someone who really wants it or who doesn't know any better.

there is a huge market for vintage campy. not sure about dura-ace. i think ebay is your best bet. try and find as much out about the parts as you can and include lots of pics.