How long is your BB?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Buzzsaw, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw Member

Just bought a new '06 frame and wanted to swap parts from the old frame onto the new. Here's the problem I'm running into;

The old is a 68mm x 121mm with Deore LX cranks.

The new is a 73mm. Would this change the overall length of the BB? I was told by the shop that sold the frame to me that it is a 121mm but I'm having a hard time believing them eventhough it is the same as the 68mm. (Some other things involved in that)

Don't kill me, it's an Ellsworth Epiphany and I'm loving it! the one day I got to ride it (with the 68mm bb). I know there are a lot of Turner riders on this site and I would have loved to try one. Nobody sell them in my area and I couldn't find them at the Sea Otter to demo one. I did demo an Epiphany and said "this is the one"

Can someone who know's BB's help? Thanks

2. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

How long is your BB?

wow...that's a pretty damn personal Q to ask...J/K :D

ok, a 121mm spingle is going to be the same width, doesn't matter on what your frame's bb shell is (a 68 or 73mm shell).

some frames have huge tubes and need a 73mm shell, etc....it's all in the design of the frame.

what determines spindle width is the chainline of your drivetrain. and, that depends on that cranks you use.

crap, and I making a short answer too long...

if your old cranks/drivetrain worked fine with a 121mm spindle and it has a 68mm shell. and your new frame has 73mm shell....a 73mmX121mmm BB will be fine.

ahhhh....that's better.

oh, post pic when your done...OK?

3. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw Member

here's a picture...the thing looks sooooooo long and linky.. but, it works really well. So much room to move my fata** around it has made my dirt riding experience so much better.

Thanks for the info. It really isn't a difficult question, as you summed it up very easily. I just don't get these shops these days.

Attached Files:

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Ellsworth

I checked out the Epiphany at Sea Otter too. Beautiful bike. The ano finish process is cool in that each frame is unique.

Post some pics with a ride report when you can.

C

5. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    All bottom brackets will go into either a 68 or 73mm shell, if its 68 you will use spacers to make up the width.....and 73 you will use no spacers. Nice bike.....even if it is an Ellsworth :p

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Slo

I just noticed you're from SLO, I make it up that way fairly often for work and try to bring my bike with me. I'll give you a shout next time I'm up that way. Maybe we can put a ride together.

C

7. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw Member

C-
    That would be pretty cool. I have M/T off right now or maybe an evening/night ride. Might be able to show you some good ones. That's if you haven't ridden them yet. Hell, you might even know about some I haven't ridden. Go figure. Yeah, give me a shout. I am the "ultimate Solo rider." So riding with someone else would be pretty cool.

8. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    If you want to know anything about BB and your confused Call Jenson USA and ask for Lee, I have called twice to ask about parts and he always gives me the exact advice I need.

9. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Lee is definately a cool cat, very nice and helpful guy!