How long did you ride before you raced?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by allison, Jan 19, 2007.

1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I haven't done any races yet, but I was mainly wondering how long everyone rode mountain bikes before they started racing (be it XC, endurance, etc.).

I've been riding for a little less than a year and a half, but signed up for Counting Coup. I just hope I survive. Not sure that I will, though 8-[

I'd like to get into other races, but I mostly feel really slow still, especially when climbing. It's hard to say if you're ahead of or behind the "curve" if there is one. Usually I'm the slowest climbing in the group, but if we ride with others I'm also one of the newer riders.

I did get in over 1500 miles last year, and that was basically all weekends. Commuting is somewhat difficult with my work schedule, and lack of a road bike.

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Allison,

I rode for about 2 yrs before trying races, though I did do one test run at the Women's Only Weekend (a nice place to just try it out). Also, the Fontana Winter Series are another good start. There are usually only a few women there (last year I was the only one in my age group), so it's not very intimidating. Of course, it's not one of my fave courses.

I did the Counting Coup for the first time after about 2 years of riding, too. It is a difficult ride, no matter how long you've been doing it (unless you're an animal like Andy). It sounds as though you're getting more miles in than I did, so you're probably significantly more prepared than me.

If you're curious about a race, just try one of the local ones (beginner class is best, you get the hang of starts/passing/being passed/etc)....don't let the CC intimidate you from trying, not many beginners do that ride at all.

Just my two cents :)

3. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I did 3 years of mountain biking before I did the CC although I have to say that an endurance ride like the CC takes long distance training and plenty of people are fast over shorter distances and should race them as such.

4. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Hi Allison,

I rode for a few years before I even knew races existed. If you think you want to try racing, then you should go for it. I don't think there is a time limit or anything like that. If you are a beginner and you want to try racing in a beginner category, go for it! The important thing is to have fun.

If Chelle was referring to me in the above post... don't think for a second that its not a huge pain in the arse to complete the CC...everytime.

Good luck with the training and try to have fun.

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm signed up and committed to do my best at CC this year. Just not sure I'm ready for the hurt and suffering it's gonna put on me! I'm usually in pain at the bottom of Motorway. I've climbed from there up to 4 Corners once and was just barely pedaling :) I can't yet imagine the pain and suffering I'll meet with by the time I'm at the peak.

We considered signing up for the DH series at Southridge, but unfortunately I chose to watch the Chargers blow it the first weekend, and we're going to Mammoth for another. Could've signed up for XC, I guess. We've been doing 20-40 mile rides the past few weekends, so it seems we're more going in that direction. I'd love to get into 100 mile races, but I think that's a few years off!

That and the 12-24 hour races seem really expensive...

6. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    7 years for me. Of course, I am chicken shiznit!

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    You can race the first time you are on a mountain bike, just don't expect to do as well. I did my first race without even having been riding for a year.

I got my back back in 2005 in about october and I did the southridge 13th annual or something and I raced in beginner and picked up a first place. Although, I had been doing some road riding before that so I didn't go from the couch and it was only one lap that was like 7.5 miles. Nothing like the CC.

Just put in as many miles as you can, but be sure to get enough rest before the race. Also, you may try running some if you can't get on your bike. And maybe some weight training for your legs. It will make it easier to get up those hills.

8. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    I rode for 14 years before my first race. Mountain biking was always a fun thing I did on the sidelines of the rest of my life. Racing wasn’t under my radar; I was too busy with my kid’s lives. Now with an empty nest, yeah I’m into it.

My first race was the Sea Otter. Going into the race I thought I was fast so I pushed hard to stay near the front of the beginner class. By the time I reached the top of the last climb I totally bonked. Hordes of people with little cowbells were trying to encourage me. Well … they were mostly heckling me … I think. It’s all a little fuzzy now. What a disaster. I’m surprised I ever did a second race.

I eventually was coaxed into that second race up in Big Bear. I had fun, no bonking, and placed somewhere in the middle of the beginner class. I was hooked.

Go out and have fun. If you do well, cool. If not, make some changes and do it again, but make sure you keep it fun.

9. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Sound like my first Otter.:(

10. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I thought every ride is a race.:lol:

11. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Allison,

In my opinion, and I think a few people may agree (if not, oh well, I'm going to say it anyway), don't think of the Counting Coup as a race, especially if it's the first mass timed ride you do. That is NOT the place to try to push it in the front and bonk early, as it is an endurance event. If you're comfortable riding the distance, then go for it, if not, stay within your limits--bonking or cramping early on the ride will only lead to a longer and more painful ride.

As for the regular races, if you can get through Black Star-Motorway, then you can complete any race ;) Just know that it's easy to get too excited and start off hard, then end up worked before you even reach the first hill. In fact, in the few beginner races that I've done, I've found that the early lead off person often ends up being caught (unless they're sandbagging or REALLY familiar with the course).

As a side note, Andy, nice to know you're human

:) My 1 1/2 cents

12. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    late bloomer

Been on a bike for as long as I can remember, but didn't start mtbing until later then it was 9 years before I raced.

Just try it.

13. andy aka rut

Chelle has it right. This is an endurance event. There isn't a podium at the end. Instead of a ribbon or trophy, everyone gets a feather. Take your time-even though over 1/2 the people will be sprinting from the start. Be smart and use the aid stations. Just hope the aid station volunteers aren't drunk yet. :-k

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm just trying to finish; I know I'm not gonna get close to the front of the field :) The problem is just making both checkpoints. I did it on a training ride in December, but it was also not freezing cold and windy like it has been since. Just hope all the miles I'm getting in so far help out. I'm pretty slow! Just don't want to miss the cutoffs and be turned around.

15. andy aka rut

It sounds like you have been riding a bunch. You should be fine. If you do get pulled, just use that as a measuring stick for the future. Even I won't laugh at someone that gives it their all.
    In all actuality you are what this event is about. This event is about accomplishing something that is out of your norm. Setting a hard goal, doing your best to prepare for it and then doing whatever it takes to get it done. I have done this event several times. Yes, it is a loooooong ride/race for me, but it is something I can do tomorrow if I have to. My ride is not a Vision Quest or a Counting Coupe-it is a race. Your ride is a quest. Try to think of it that way. I hope this helps.