How do you run your pro-pedal (RP23)??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by lukewiens, May 28, 2008.

1. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

I am curious how others run their pro-pedal settings on their fox shock??

1...2...or 3??

Do you keep it open all the time?

If you use it...when do you use it....what situations??

Suggestions for efficiency/racing??

Again...just curious. Thanks.

2. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    280 psi, 3 position. Keeps it just like a hardtail:bang:

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    On the RFX and RIP I never touch it...leave PP off. If I want a hard tail feel I grab the One-9.

Dean

4. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

to respond to my own question...

i run 110 psi and 3 almost all the time. i only open it up if i am approaching a sustained descent.

with endurance racing though...i am getting curious about other settings. i have started opening it up on super gnarly climbs and have noticed the trade off of pedal efficiency vs. traction.

i am wondering over a sustained effort (100 miles or so) whether or not a lower setting of pro-pedal might come back in overall effort (less bodily shock absorption.....arm and back fatigue) at the cost of leg fatigue?

5. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Keep the pressure around my body weight, and run #1 most of the time.
    Flip PP off on decents.
    I think the type of bike's suspension make a difference. I have a 575, so it helps.
    My friend has a giant trance, and leaves his off most all the time. Doesn't need it as much.

Bottom line, try all settings, and do what works for you.

6. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I keep mine around my body weight.

Off if I'm riding downhill, on technical climbs where I want good traction or really bumpy roads (Trabuco Creek).

I have it set on "1" for smooth fireroads.

7. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I run 300psi on my S-Works and level 3 going uphill, off going down

I run 170 psi on my Kona King and level 2 on long grinding uphills, but off most of the time.

The suspension leverage ratio of your bike is just as important as your weight. I weigh 197 but there is a huge difference in the leverage ratio on the bikes hence the difference in tuning.

Example: Both shocks have the same stroke length but one is a 6" travel bike, and the other is a 3.9" travel bike. Since the stroke length is 2" the leverage ratio on the S-Works is 3:1 while the leverage ratio on the Kona is 1.95:1. Typically (for most shocks excluding Curnutt) a 2:1 ratio means you put your body weight in psi into the shock.

You could work it out further by determining the piston area and air pressure vs. sprung weight and leverage ratio

8. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

thanks sar-boats...

so what your saying is maybe i should run closer to my weight with the psi on my king and experiment with running it open more often?

i was told to start with 75% of your weight in the rear and 50% in the front and work from there.

to tell you the truth, i haven't messed with it since then.

would running open with a higher psi be more beneficial the using pro-pedal?

9. BandMan

BandMan New Member

Leaving ProPedal on during technical descents

Is it okay to just leave the Pro-Pedal on during technical downhills or will this damage the shock? I know their forks have some kind of adjustable lockout force that will "blowoff" when it encounters a large hit and avoid damage to the fork:?:.

10. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I almost exclusively use level 2 when its on. Good balance both ways. It's on an 08 trek fuel btw.

I find myself leaving the shock open for most flat stuff, and switching it on only for longer climbs where I would like the extra efficiency. I also spin a pretty smooth pedal stroke, so I don't bob all too much. Almost always open it up for the descents, unless I forget or they are smooth or I'm racing

As far as other settings, I may play with things for somehting like an XC race. If it's s smoother course, I'd run 3 for sure. Any amount of tech/rocks, run 2. Perhaps lv.1 for something like a superD, where you want plushness and at least a little platform.

11. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    If you like how the bike performs then run it as is, however if you are bottoming out the shock a lot or if the suspension is wallowing on climbs then bump the psi up a notch. If you find yourself running propedal on all the time then typically you can get the same affect by adding pressure and running it open. The benifit to this is that the compression seals in the shock will last longer and small bump absorbtion will be a bit better. Remember that if you adjust the pressure up then you may have to adjust your rebound as well.

The guys up at Fox racing recommend 25-30% sag on both forks and shocks (Except the Fox 40) so that is a good starting point.

12. guero

guero iFroth

2 all the time, open for descending and closed for flats/climbing.

13. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

To start you should set your sag with the shock open.
    Use the o ring on your shock and stand on the pedals being careful not to sit on the seat. The seat adds unbalanced leverage to your rear shock.
    Stand and balance on the pedals and hold on to something.
    You must know your shock stroke or your eye to eye. Then you can measure your sag . On most bikes it is around 30%. So if your shock has a 2 inch stroke you will want 30% sag used in the stroke.

When you have that set next you need to set your rebound.
    For many its preference. For me I like the rear suspension to not be quicker than I can bounce and stand up. It should follow but not buck you. If you can stand faster than the seat can rebound its to slow. In some cases you will run it a little slower or faster. You don't want it to pack up.

Next with the RP23 you have the ability to pull out on the 3 position lever and adjust your overall compression. Many never use this and many don't even know they have that ability. You want to set your compression to absorb the impact of a landing and not blow thought the travel.
    When you have that set you want the 3 position lever in the off position.
    Now when you turn it in the 2 and 3 position you wil have a progressive feel
    from stiffer to almost locked out.

And yes I know you where asking how everyone runs the pro pedal.
    Because you can pull the lever out and set it with more compression there are variables. this means it is possible that no to exact setting will be the same if you copy someones settings with the same bike if they changes the preset on the compression you will have a completely different ride.

If you get this down you will be able to tune your bike for any terrain like a pro.

Please let me know if all this makes sense to you.
    I am much better at showing all of this in person.
    My writing skills suck.

J

14. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

It seems like that might have been more info than anyone wants to read.
    Without taking those steps you might not be using your RP23 for all its capable of.

15. ewiccami

ewiccami itsabikeshop.com

i get to talk about bikes all day... how cool is
    Home Page:
    Everyone's got pretty good suggestions. I usually follow the 25-30 % Sag rule. Rebound and Pro-Pedal settings though definitely vary from bike to bike and also from ride to ride (just like everybody's already previously mentioned). To answer your questions for my personal bikes:

Air settings - Depends on which bike (sag rule in effect here)
    Pro-Pedal - Always fully open.

I figure you pay so much for these bikes that it should pedal very efficiently with or without the pro-pedal on (we all know this to be an "ideal world" statement). Some bikes do need it though, but I personally wouldn't ride a bike that I felt "needed" the pro-pedal. However, I'm a set and forget kind of guy. Set it once and just ride the daylights out of the bike.

Play with the settings on your bike. Short of forcing the knobs past where they're supposed to go, you'll have a hard time braking it and like everyone says, set it how it feels best to you.

16. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Not one person gave the compression setting and this is relevant to the pro pedal levers effects. None of the info can be accurate as far as trying what others have tried.:-k I guess if you assume that the compression is in its stock setting whatever that might be then you can get the approximate setting. That would mean the shock has not been set up.

17. slideonmtns

slideonmtns New Member

Jason, how do you adjust the propedal compression? I know the rp23s come tuned either soft, medium, or stiff, but are the shocks compression really user tunable?

-Danny

18. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

It is adjustable.

The lever is a just for yout presets. You can disengage the lever from the knob by pulling up and change it stiffer or softer.