How 'bout them Lakers and Dodgers...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JoeTruth, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Is it just me or does Andrew Jones look like Tony Gwyn's long lost fat twin-brother?

2. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    He has one of those - Chris Gwynn ;)

3. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Have you seen Tony Gwynn lately? He really looks like he is close to 400Lbs

4. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    He does own quite a few Church's Chicken franchises...

I hate to pile on T, he's absolutely one my favorites of all time - the man could flat out hit!

5. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Pau Gasol...

Never mind that Gasol scored 36, banged out 16 boards and dished out 8 assists (2 shy of a triple double. Rarely heard of for a big man). To me, what keeps impressing me more and more is his ability to get up and down the court and his free throwing ability. Today, he was 8-8 at the charity strike. That's an odd thing to see for a Laker center. At least not since the Kareem era.

6. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Todays game was great. The Lakers had a brain fart in the 2nd quarter, but managed to pull their heads out in the 2nd half to spank the Nuggets. They need to remember what worked today, banging the ball into the paint, for the next game.

7. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    More Boston Banwagon Chat...

BOSTON (AP)—Mike Bibby thought the Celtics’ crowd was loud in the playoff opener. He should get an even bigger earful in Game 2 after slamming the fans.

Bibby called Boston’s backers “fair weather” fans who jumped on the “bandwagon” when the Celtics grew from one of the NBA’s worst teams last season into the one with the best record in the league this season.
    “I wouldn’t say it’s the smartest comment,” Kevin Garnett said Tuesday.

Bibby heard it from the crowd Sunday night when the Celtics beat the Atlanta Hawks 104-81. He scored just five points on 2-for-10 shooting.

“It’s good that they know I’m here,” he said before practice Tuesday on the same floor where he missed all those shots. “Fair weather fans if you ask me.”

The Celtics drew decent home crowds last season despite their 24-58 record, the second-worst in franchise history. Bibby played in front of one of them Jan. 19 when he was with Sacramento, which won 96-91.

He scored 11 points in that game, Boston’s sixth straight loss in an 18-game slide that is the worst in franchise history.

Sunday’s crowd was “kind of loud at the beginning,” Bibby said calmly, “but a lot of these fans might be bandwagon jumpers. They try to get on this now. Because I played here last year, too. I didn’t see three-fourths of them so it might be that.

“I remember them having bags on their heads,” he said. “Are they the ones that had bags on their heads last year? It’s just a different look, but I guess that happens when you win.”

Winning one game in the best-of-seven series that resumes Wednesday night will be tough for the Hawks.
    Top-seeded Boston had 29 more wins than eighth-seeded Atlanta, the biggest discrepancy between first-round opponents since 1996.

And Bibby, a 10-year veteran with the most playoff experience of any Hawk, got outplayed by Boston point guard Rajon Rondo, who had 15 points, nine assists and six rebounds in his postseason debut.

Several Celtics said they didn’t want to get into a verbal exchange with Bibby. Some of them, though, managed to slip in a few jabs.

“He said that?” center Kendrick Perkins said when told of Bibby’s remarks. “I mean, coming off a 2-for-10 night shooting, he would say something like that. … We’ve got the best fans in the world, so we don’t expect other players from other teams to like our fans.”
    There are bandwagon fans in every sport, Paul Pierce said.

But Boston’s fans “really showed up for us even a year ago. We sold out a lot of games and they were there for us, so the guy really doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Pierce said. “These guys have been there for us all year long and with Bibby’s comments I hope they come even louder.”

The Celtics expect Bibby, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith to be more aggressive Wednesday night after all shot poorly in the opener.

But they’ll be facing the team that held opponents to the lowest field goal percentage in the NBA and the player, Garnett, who was named defensive player of the year Tuesday for the first time in his 13 seasons.

“They’re going to make some adjustments. We make some adjustments,” Garnett said. “If anything, this award comes right at the right time to be more defensive than ever.”

The Hawks will be in front of their home crowd for Games 3 and 4. There’s considerable doubt about their ability to avoid a sweep and return to Boston for a fifth game on April 30.

“It’s a seven-game series, so now you have a chance to redeem yourself,” Johnson said. “We’ve just got to relax.”

The young Hawks may have gotten rid of the jitters from the first playoff game of most of their careers, although rookie center Al Horford was their best player in the opener.

“I remember my first game in the playoffs going against John Stockton,” Bibby said. “I was nervous. I came out (and) threw the first pass away.”

Garnett also was a different player early in his career. Now he knows when to avoid controversy and take it out on opponents on the court.

So he brushed off Bibby’s shot at the fans. “That’s Mike speaking his mind,” Garnett said. “If I was back in my younger days I probably would have said something, but I learned. Let your play do your talking.”

8. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Ahem....anyone else notice how our boys in blue have won 10 of their last 11 and have quietly slipped into 2nd place? Only 3 games behind the DBacks (best record in MLB so far), good enough for a share of the wildcard spot. Granted it's still early, but it's good to see them winning again.

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

1. the dodgers always do that
    2. they always blow it
    3. they've sucked for as long as i remember

10. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal
    Yea I could never get into this football thing:?:!

HUGH
    :)

11. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

1. How do people dig-up these older threads? I mean...nevermind!

2. David, you haven't been around long enough and hence, your opinion is automatically disqualified and negated. :lol:

3. Yes, they always do this (up and down). Some consistency wouldn't kill anyone. That being said, I hope they maintain their current trend but I'm not holding my breath.

12. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Harsh.

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Send them back to Brookland!

:bang:

14. davidB

davidB Active Member

you're right*

*if you ignore the last 15 years of which i do remember.

15. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Hmph. Some people just can't say anything nice if it kills 'em. (Yes David, I mean you.[-() Whether or not it lasts, the Dodgers are on a roll and I for one am enjoying it while I can! If nothing else, at least with Torre they're playing more aggressively than they have under the last two managers. (It's been fun to watch the double steals, etc.) And thank God, Furcal is back in fine form this year. Now if only Torre would keep Andruw Jones out of the lineup for a while. Good gravy, he's awful this season. It only makes it worse that he has that creepy smile on his face every time he gets up at bat and strikes out. He needs to practice looking upset in front of the mirror or something.

16. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

You go, Q!

Holy shiat! Q knows baseball too! Wow, I'm dumbfounded and very impressed.
    Wanna get married? ;)

Yeah, David! Stop acting like a young whipper-snapper boo-bird and raining on our blue parade. Jeez man!!!:?: Next ride out, Q, you and I will jump him when he's not looking. ;)

17. gleeke

gleeke east coast rider

Hmmm I'm a Redsox and Celts fan..but than again I do live in RI. I do love that Joe Torre is out there in LA. He's a super classy guy. As a life long Sox fan I always thought JT was probably the classiest guy on the Yankees. I really hope it's a return to the 80's in the NBA w the Lakers vs the Celtics...Majic V larry was some great Basketball.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  18. davidB

davidB Active Member

dudette, it's hard to be a fan when they do the same let down each year. :( I LOOOOOOOVE going to a summer night game even now, reminds me of doing it as a kid, but cmon, it's the same crap each year. :( start out hot, fail to make the playoffs or get booted first round.

<--very bitter dodger fan who is spoiled by other L.A. teams

19. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor

David, David, David. One is either a fan or not a fan. But one should never ever be a fair weather fan.

Your team is your team. Win or lose.