(hopefully) A Quick question on Dual ring setup

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Suunaabas, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Suunaabas

Suunaabas New Member

1st part: Been pondering how to properly set up the front derailer for use with a dual ring setup (22/32/BG). So how are you guys setting yours up? Somehow limiting the shifter itself to only use two gears? Or setting up the Lo limit, and just remembering to not shift to the absent big ring?

2nd part: Any special considerations for the chainline? Ie; perhaps adding in BB spacers to center the line?

This isn't too pressing an issue, just more for planning as I'm still working out my fork situation.

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

1st part
    Just adjust the high screw on the FD allowing it to only go far enough to shift into the second ring.

2nd Part
    No change there at all.

3. xxmtbboyxx

xxmtbboyxx Guest

4. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

if your f derailer is at the right height it will hit the bash, it limits it for you

5. Suunaabas

Suunaabas New Member

Aha k thats how I was thinking of setting it up, normal ~2mm space above 2nd ring. Thank you gents =)

6. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    If the front derailleur hits the bashguard it is too low and will not shift to the second ring. You should adjust the height of the derailleur as if the bashguard were your largest ring then set the high stop to prevent the derailleur from going past the second ring.

7. thephat

thephat Active Member

With a two ring setup, it is often best to run the front der at the same height that you would with a three ring setup.

8. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

maybe it doesnt hit ?? I dont know if it does or if its just the chain binding when you over shift? i never pay attention.

9. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

You want to run a bash ring that is as close to the size of your middle ring as possible, if your running a 34 tooth, get a 34 tooth bashie, 36 get a 36 ETC. Then yes, you set the height as if the bashie is just another ring, and use your limit screws to stop the derailer.

I would also highly suggest the E13 DRS to acompany this setup as well

10. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Before anyone goes and lowers their FD, make sure the chainstay yoke won't hit the derailleur cage on full suspension compression. As thephat said, best to leave it at standard three-ring position IMO.

11. Suunaabas

Suunaabas New Member

Got the E13 DS, BB mount (no ISCG mount on 5spot). For cranks, just went with the TV Hussefelt 2.2 howitzer. BG that came on it mounts to the same screws as the 32t. Time allowing, I'll mount the FD tonight, gotta adjust the DS a bit though as well. Just replaced the front triangle, so a derailleur hasn't been mounted on it yet.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Dont be afraid to trim the back plate up on that bad boy to get the proper rotation for your bike. Which bash came with your DRS? Chances are its the 40 tooth, E13 is really, REALLY good about swapping them out to get the one that would best suit your needs free of charge, call them up, talk to Phil. Great guy to work with. The Truvativ Bashie breaks easily, but it fits well for what your doing

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I think he got the new DS which is he low end DRS. Steel backplate and no BYOB (Bring your own Bashguard:lol:)

14. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Been there done that

Set derailleur up as if you had a big ring (42T). The geometry of the swing arm and the indents on the derailleur work best when used as designed.

edit: of course use the top limit screw

15. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Oh yeah, thats right.

16. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    you might want to up the size of your middle ring to a 36 or 34, the 32 middle tends to spin out too quick.

17. Suunaabas

Suunaabas New Member

Yes the DS is just the back-plate and bottom section of the DRS. I figured why buy another bash if my cranks come with one already? Was going to get this set up last night but had a little homework, and after that was tearing down my Pike (yeah .. not a good idea to take apart your fork inside the house.. over carpet doh! Did have a plastic basin I was usin for the oil which I was expecting, but the o-ring on the damper caught me by surprise).

Might have room to change it up to 34 or 36, had planned on grabbing some decent cogs when I'm "un-broke" again; something with ceramic coating perhaps to reduce wear. No I'm not a weight weenie, I'd just rather ride than eff with replacing things :p

Um, uploaded a couple pics -hopefully ya can tell from that what the BB area looks like.