Hope M4's+Pike=Me sad

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by EndoMaster, Sep 2, 2006.

1. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    I just got off the line with Jenson and they tell me that the Pike and the Hope M4's are incompatible and that there is no work around. Does anyone here have experience to contradict that statement? Rob how about you? I consider you the resident Hope expert.

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    :-k Eh? I'm using M4's on my Pike air currently with no issues. I know that Hope changed to the post mount style caliper for '06 instead of the 1 piece caliper which I have.......and unless for some stupid reason they don't make an adaptor I can't imagine why it wouldn't work? Do you have '06 Hope brakes?

3. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Hi Rob,

I don't have the brakes in hand. I was ready to pull the trigger and pick them up today but I read the disclaimer on the website which in turn led me to call to verify that it wasn't a typo. I forget who i spoke with but he told me that if I used the M4 with a Pike that the caliper would be offset by around 7mm.

This is what is on the website.

Please note: 74mm post mount caliper with 200mm rotor does not fit Manitou Dorado forks. M4 200mm brake for Rockshox Boxxer and Pike forks must be ordered through the Special Order web site.

I'm guessing I will have to special order the front if I want to use it with the Pike because of the change.

4. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Yeah I figured it had something to do with that move they made to the post mount style caliper. I really liked the old 1 piece style caliper. They took more time to set up, but as long as your tabs were faced (I bought the facing tool) you are golden! Are you completely set on an 8" front brake? Jenson's pricing on the Hope M4's isn't that great to be honest.....I would give Larry & mountainhighcyclery.com a call.....you'll get a much better price and he'll hook you up with what you need to run them on a Pike ;)

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i've actually going through the same problem, except i have the older 1pc style caliper and i needed fab up a spacer to push the caliper out more then what some shims could do. I still need to trim it down a little before i can mount the caliper on. If it doesn't work out i'll let you know, maybe we can work out a deal or something.

6. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    Some Lowes carry nylon reinforced polyurethane washers in various thicknesses. I had to use some between the adapter and mount on my DJ2 and they're working fine.

One other thing to note, I think going bigger than a 180 rotor on the Pike may void the warranty. Not sure about the 07s, but I'm pretty damn sure I read that about the 05 or 06 models.

Chris