Hikers in HJ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcampbell, Apr 1, 2013.

1. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

2. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Decided to see if I could help find the two hikers lost since Sunday on Holy Jim--Rode up Holy Jim to Main Divide and down Trabuco Trail in case they got confused. Saw their car parked on Trabuco Road, half way up to Holy Jim parking lot. Two helicopters out looking everywhere, and a third with transport abilities on the ground by the "airport" a short way up Trabuco Road. Several people out looking. Some rangers dropped down from the Main Divide and climbed down steep drops they might have fallen down. They are still looking :(

3. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Sounds more like Falls Canyon to me.. there was an article in the OC Register last year. Maybe they tried climbing to the top of it and fell.

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Knowing how some people get lost they may be up Trabuco not Holy Jim. On the VQ route coming down there's a place where the trail seems to fork. Going left (wrong) can send you down into the canyon. Maybe?

5. Sprankle

Sprankle Chicks Dig Scars....

Software Development
  6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    If they were parked halfway down, I agree with kioti. Also, could they have gone up Cadillac or up to Bell Ridge area if they were further down Trabuco.

7. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Going to hit a ride in the area today. The more the merrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

If anyone is going up today, also check out West Horsetheif in case they went up there by mistake. It wasn't too long ago when some horses went over the side off of Horsetheif. Falls Canyon sounds like a possibility as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  9. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    They were parked beyond Cadillac and no way to get Bell Ridge from where they were parked. Bell Ridge forks off of Los Pinos which forks off Trabuco.

10. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Gene, I think there's a side chute off Bell Ridge that gets you down to the Trabuco Wash.

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    There is, but you have to know where it comes out as it crosses the creek bed..., there's not a trail leading to it. Besides from Bell Ridge, the teens would have a clear view of everything from up there. Their cars was parked well past Cadillac and where Bell comes down to Trabuco.

They told deputies they believed they were about one mile from their vehicle on Sunday night
    . Falls Canyon sounds more of a possibility. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...ikers-near-trabuco-canyon/#.UVtd1DOYs9c.email

12. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

Some good news (from the CBS/KNX website):

...A possible break in the investigation Tuesday narrowed down the search to Holy Jim Canyon trailhead near Trabuco Canyon.
    “Our blood hound Sadie picked up a scent at one of the trail heads, so we are deploying several mutual aid teams,” Lt. Erin Giudice said. “There’s a very real possibility they could be injured and aren’t able to get out of wherever they are.”
    Early Wednesday morning, deputies investigated a claim by volunteer searchers that they saw a flicker of light in the hillside. No additional information on that lead has been released.

Praying they are found soon!

13. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

I am really confused. A guy on Geoladders rode HJ/ Trabuco and said he saw the car half way up Trabuco Wash. If they hiked in that area, it would make more sense to have cell signal. There is the Canyon Falls Waterfall, supposedly much bigger than the HJ Waterfall. The Sheriff I spoke to said, their phone call said they had not made it to the Waterfall yet, and that is why they were not looking on Trabuco Trail. So, are they assuming that their destination was the HJ waterfall? What if they were looking for the one off Trabuco Wash? Are they looking in that area, too? David Whiting, who writes for the OC Register had an article about the falls in the paper last year. He said, it is hard to find, and there are ropes (probably old and fragile ones) hanging from the rocks, and I bet a lot of people climb up there and might even fall. Just hoping they are really exhausting all possibilities to find them safely.

14. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Thanks for the update! Prayers to them and there families.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I imagine if they had all the answers to these questions, they probably would have found them by now.

16. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

I am not really asking if they have all the answers, but are they looking at all the questions?

17. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    This is starting to remind of those two lost ultra runners last year in the same area. The guy walked out of canyon after a night or so and the girl was still missing. Lots of speculation of foul play. She ended up getting found a day or so later.

I hope those kids are found soon and are okay. But should be interesting to hear what happened.

18. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

We hiked there (Falls canyon) the weekend before the last. It is not an easy path to locate. The ropes were gone.

19. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    If were refering to Yaeger, I think its possible hikers could stumble across the bottom of it and go up it. i happened across it many years ago on one of my first hikes in trabuco, and had never heard of it before.I just happened to stay to the right (it almost kinda looks like a trail) instead of going left and crossing the creek to stay on trabuco. But who would want to hike up Yaeger?, haha.

20. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It is hard to understand that after this long why they have not walked out on their own...it is not as if the area is that large. Someone must be hurt and unable to walk and the other is staying with them.