Hey Photogs and Wannabees - What photo hosting sites do you like?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Special K, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Special K

Special K Drink Beer, Ride Bikes...

I've used photobucket to post photos (mostly of rides and riders at various events) in order to easily share them. I'm getting tired of the pop up ads and beginning to think there has to be something better out there. What sites do you use? Have you used smugmug? Are some sites better for sharing photos vs video?

<edit>: I definitely fall into the wannabe category :)

2. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Smugmug is pretty awesome. Way more professional feeling without any of the goofiness and ads of the free sites. You can pick your own theme/look. They also make it very easy to bridge-up to a professional account where you can set your own rates and, sell photos and prints.
    In the past, I have used Smumug quite a bit to share pics and link photos to posts on forums, the site plays very well with others!
    Highly recommended.

3. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Flickr. You can post a ton of photos (and video). Searches REALLY easily. I incredibly like the social media aspect of it (ability to comment, link, etc.). It used to be MUCH better with groups and communities, but they have repressed that aspect in the recent re-dos. Trying to make it more like instagram, instead of letting it play to it's strengths. A lot of really fantastic art on there, which you can get lost in easily if you want to. My $.02

4. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    I usually just use the photo URL from my Facebook or Google+ auto backup.

5. Pete.a

Pete.a New Member

PM for an entertainment lighting company
  6. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    I use my own web hosting which has some pros and cons. In the advantage category, if I want to post something on a certain forums or online community and don't want people hot-linking it's pretty easy to restrict which site they'll load on (although it doesn't stop someone from downloading and re-hosting). If I wanted to I could also easily add a small custom watermark or ownership info over the image without affecting the original file. I also don't have to worry about changes to terms of service, advertisements, etc. that can come with commercial sites.

The biggest downside to this approach is if you're looking to create a simple gallery or send someone a link to a certain batch of photos it can be much more complex if you're not good with web administration. Many hosting companies offer "one-click", open source photo gallery type solutions but they often aren't very elegant out of the box and require much more configuration and tweaking than simply uploading to a commercial site/gallery. The cost of hosting can also be a wash depending on how much you're looking to upload and share. You also miss the community nature of shared galleries on some of the commercial photo sites.