Hey kids, its story time, Adventures in Craigslist!!/merged!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by guero, Jun 8, 2011.

1. guero

guero iFroth

After selling my singlespeed commuter bike last night, I figured a thread for Craigslist stories, nightmares, headaches, was long overdue. I'll go first.

I decided that I wanted to sell my commuter bike ($200) so I listed it on CL yesterday, right around noon. Within' the first half hour, I had at least 5 texts from different people wanting to come check it out, cool! These texts consisted of lowball offers, hey can you hold the bike until such-and-such day, etc.. My theory when it comes to selliing is, "show me the money". I've been around this song & dance long enough to know that the world is full of flakes, and yesterday/last night was no different. One kid also asked me if i'd trade it for an xBox (i already have one).

By the time I was off work (6pm), I had a total of 12 different people, all wanting the bike. 3 of which said they could come out last night and check it out and buy it for my full asking price. Slowly but surely each of the 3 people had flaked out for whatever reason, this one kid told me that him and his mom sell puppies, and she didnt give him his half of the share yet, so he couldn't buy it, :lol: So as each person flaked I copied/pasted a generic text to everyone else saying the bike was still available and yadda yadda yadda. One guy in La Palma is really hyped on it for his son, so we make arrangements to meet up at a location near my pad in Long Beach. He texts me once he is there, so I put the bike in the back of my truck and drive over, upon entering the parking lot I see him and his son, they both wave (I had told them what i was driving). To my astonishment, they had arrived on a motorcycle, yes, a motorcycle!!! :-k Maybe they had family in the area where they planned on keeping the bike, I have no clue wtf their plan was.

So his son was pedaling the bike around and seemed to like it alot, he was 13. The time came for payment and the guy asked if I'd take a personal check, after explaining to me that I'd have to hold it until thursday because he gets paid at midnight I kindly declined and told him I was interested in cash only. He proceeded to show me his paycheck stubs and I was starting to feel really bad for his son at this point. He even called his mom to see if he could borrow the money, I shit you not! I didn't specify "cash only" in my CL ad, (i usually do, but figured $200 wasn't much and most would assume it would be cash only). After another minute of conversation, I told him sorry man, and call me when you have cash.

Meanwhile, on my way over to meet the motorcycle guy, I had a text from a guy in downtown Long Beach that wanted to come check it out, cool! I had written him back saying I was meeting with someone whom was potentially going to buy it and I'd let him know what happens. So after the motorcycle guy transaction went sour, I called the downtown LB guy back.....no answer, crap! Not a huge deal though, because while I was talking to motorcycle guy I had received two more texts about the bike, and one of the guys was in Torrance and wanted to come down right away, cool! So he comes down, and has cash, and buys the bike!

Never in my life have I dealt with such crazyness when trying to sell something as simple as a $200 bike. I know we have had other similar threads about low-ballers and flakes, but I thought you guys might enjoy my story. And yes, I know its CL, and it brings out all kinds of people.

I know I'm not the only one with a crazy CL story, so lets hear yours! 8-[

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
  2. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

simply awesome, simply craigslist lol

3. skirt_count455

skirt_count455 New Member

I'll bite, not really a horror story but more of a small world type deal.

When I first wanted to get into riding, I wanted to get a beater bike to see if I liked riding before I spent money on a new bike and realize I made a bad call. So anyway I was on CL and found a Specialized Hardrock. Called up the kid and we agreed to meet. When I went to check out the bike, the kid was pretty young and had told me his older brother used to race the bike and got a new one and handed this one down. He needed money for school and stuff and wanted to sell it. I said cool and got the bike. A little while later, I decided to step up my game and buy myself a new bike. I sold the Hardrock on CL for a small profit lulzz.

A couple of weeks ago at OTH, I was talking to a fellow racer about his new bike and he mentioned that last year he rode this heavy beat up Hardrock and it was a pain to race and etc....I told him I used to have a Hardrock too and it was the same thing.

Well, yesterday at OTH the dude brings his little bro out to check out the races. I saw the kid and though to myself that he looked familiar but didn't think anything of it until later on when I was like "Dude you sold me that Specialized" lol....turns out me and my buddy were both taking about the same "Old Hardrock" the past week.

Small world lol.

4. skirt_count455

lol and to OP, craigslist is a circus....some of the things you see on there are just hilarious.

5. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    I had a bike for sale and the lady wanted to come check it out. Our meeting time was 4:00pm, she said she was coming from Hollywood (I live in Fullerton) so she might be a few minutes late. I also scheduled someone to come at 6pm to look at the bike just in cast person #1 flakes or doesn't want it. #1 arrives at my place at 5:30pm (1.5 hours late) frustrated that she had to drive through all the traffic. I show her the bike, she test rides it and offers me $75 less than my asking price. I told her I was firm and said, "fine, can you take a check?" I tell her no. She responds with an irritated voice, "WHY NOT!?!" I explain to her that I don't know who she is and yada yada yada.

She tries to convince me to take a check because she works for the government. I tell her that there's a bank down the street, she can get cash and pay me with it. She then says, "where's the nearest Wells Fargo? (irritated tone)" I tell her I don't know because I don't bank with Wells Fargo, but there's a Union Bank right across the street. She raises her voice and starts talking through her teeth, "BUT I NEED A WELLS FARGO, NOT A UNION BANK!"

I balked at her reaction and said, "Union Bank is THERE! (pointing to the bank) I don't know what else to tell you, I DON'T know where a Wells Fargo is...."

She says, "FINE! I'll Go there!"

By this time it was already 5:50, person #2 shows up for our 6pm meeting. She rides the bike 10 feet, and whips out the full amount in cash and starts to load it. I then frantically try to look for person #1's phone number so I can call her to let her know that someone else just bought it. As I was dialing the number, Person #1 pulls up and I tell her that I just sold it to Person #2 (pointing to the bike being loaded into a van).

Person #1 BLOWS UP!!!!!! She starts calling me all sorts of names...."YOU MOTHER EFFER!!!!! YOU SOLD THE BIKE AFTER I DROVE TO THE BANK!!!!" She kept cussing me out and I tell her, "Look, 1st of all you were 1.5 hours late, secondly you offered me a check then you argued with me about the bank, that person over there (pointing to person #2 as she's loading the bike up) GAVE ME CASH FOR THE FULL AMOUNT!"

Person #1 " I don't give a F!@# You Mother Effer! You're going to HELL FOR WHAT YOU DID TO ME!" She's saying all this as she's peeling out in her Toyota Rav4....

I was worried this psycho lady was going to come back and do something to my home. After that fiasco, I now started meeting potential CL customers at a nearby grocery store parking lot.

6. skirt_count455

lol, next time just meet them at "the nearest Wells Fargo".

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    That's a lot gas Bret for $200. I usually see a lot of lowballs. At least these were lowballs via email instead of the dreaded low ball at the meet.

I was selling a road bike for $900 for a buddy. got a lot of these type offers.

On Apr 27, 2011, at 11:59 AM, "Ramos, Octavio E" wrote:

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
    ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
    ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
    ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

I will buy it now for $450.00 cash let me know if you accept my offer

will pick it up today

thanks

octavio 714-226-XXXX

Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:02 PM
    To: Ramos, Octavio E
    Cc: <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: Tommaso Road Bike - $900 (Orange County)

Your offer of 1150 sounds great? What time would to come by tonite?

from Ramos, Octavio E Octavio
    to XXXX [email protected]
    date Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    subject RE: Tommaso Road Bike - $900 (Orange County)
    mailed-by uhc.comOn Apr 27, 2011, at 12:03 PM, "Ramos, Octavio E" <[email protected]> wrote:

5:00 pm

from XXXX [email protected]
    to "Ramos, Octavio E"
    date Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    subject Re: Tommaso Road Bike - $900 (Orange County)
    mailed-by gmail.com

That's a bit early. I have a Porche club meeting that runs till 6pm. Since your willing to bump up an extra 250 over my asking to $1150 I might be willing to cancel it. Guys in the club really wanted to see my new Caymen though..

8. skirt_count455

Not really a story, but a comment on something I'm sure everyone's seen at one point or another.....the guy who asks some ridiculous amount for his '99 whatever...lol emotional attachment is not worth monies!! :)

9. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I've never sold anything on Craigslist but plenty of flakes want to buy my stuff on Pinkbike ;) I had a fork for sale and met the guy in a Home Depot parking lot to exchange $$$ and he had the audacity to ask me if I would take less. LOL.....

10. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Yeh, I no longer sell local pickup after a few too many psychos & cheapskates. Seems like 9 times out of 10, Craigslist buyers will agree to buy the item for asking price, demand you take the ad down, then show up and lowball ya. Then I always hear this "well I was first"... well good for you, but it's not a race, and now you're wasting my time, & making me want to charge you more, not less.

Now, I don't take the ads down til the money's in hand. Send check, I cash it using an empty account at a bank I don't use, deposit the cash in my normal acct at my normal bank, & then ship the item. Run it like a business.

11. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    hella good story B.

the only thing craigslist is good for is finding your stuff after some punk a$$kids or tweekers steals your stuff.

12. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I've sold a ton of stuff on CL.

Never had a horrible experience, but let me just say nothing surprises me anymore.

One of my biggest "hassles" ever was trying to sell an unopened 40 lb. bag of dog food to someone.

13. mmcverry

mmcverry New Member

Website Developer
    I'm loving this thread. I've sold various things on CL over the years and never had a *bad* experience.

However, I did get to experience PLENTY of low ballers. This is how I handled it- I got a smart-phone app called Square which allows you to accept credit card (either by swiping them or keying in the CC number into your cell phone. I don't mention that in the Craigslist ad.

Here's how the typical transaction goes down.

CL Buyer - "I want to buy your __________ <----(insert expensive product) but I don't have $500, I only have $350. "
    (opens wallet to show me he indeed has $350 only and like 4 credit cards)

ME "No problem, I accept Visa, American Express, and Mastercard". Do you still want it?

This usually cuts out the BS super fast. Those who really want it, get it at full price, and those low ballers get out of dodge instantly. It's a win-win. I win, then I win some more.

14. babu9000

babu9000 New Member

I had a guy come by and buy a trainer. He shows up on a motorcycle. My girlfriend asks me how he is going to get it home. I told her i didn't really care. I took the money and went inside the house. The curiosity was killing me so I peeked out the window and watched the guy strap the trainer to his back like a backpack and ride off. Craigslist rocks.

15. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

A few years ago, a buddy sold a "bike" on Craigslist...

Tons of interest in the item.
    One of the potential buyers sounded really cool over the phone. Polite. Educated. Knew the product. Was fine with the price. Had cash. Willing to pick-up the item at a time that worked for my buddy etc.

Long story short:
    My buddy told the buyer it would be easiest if he picked the item up at my friend's house. The guy called to tell "US" he was 5 minutes away. My friend tells the guy, "if we are not out front, walk 15 feet to the side yard and yell "HELLO."

Not only did the guy NOT yell "hello"...
    He opened the side gate. Made his way to the back of the house (shed)... and proceeded to SCARE THE LIVING $H!T out of us!

The guy was about as scary the person in the image below!
    (mid-20's... Indian... cross-eyed)
    [​IMG]

Nice person. Felt kinda' bad for the guy. Friend was happy with the sale.

Doesn't change the fact, he scared the crap out of us! [​IMG]
    (my buddy no longer invites buyers over to his house)

16. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    NBR ---- I've only had one CL transaction and it was a purchase not a sale - and this one is ALL good.

We took my son to Spokane to visit Gonzaga Univ in January. We wanted him to see the winter weather he was in for before he committed. Mother nature obliged with a trifecta of snow, ice and rain. Gonzaga's basketball team is the big draw up there and students often camp out for days to pick up any unsold tickets. I thought it might be the perfect event to expose my son to. I posted up a WTB for that night's game against arch rival Loyola Marymount. I had four calls in 1/2 hour. The tickets were $225+ EACH on Stub Hub and other sites.

When they heard my son was considering the school, I was offered third-row season tickets (including pre- & post-game Zag Club entrance) for $75.00 TOTAL. The second caller had two tickets in the second section - $30.00. Not only that, they both offered to deliver the tickets to our hotel lobby to make it easier on us. How un-Californian was that?

Both showed up early, no flaking on the deal, lots of questions about my son and even gave me their cards just in case we wanted seats next season. We ended up inviting the student who led our tour earlier in the day to join us.

A perfect end to a perfect trip. It really magnifies how many low life, scum-sucking leaches we have in SoCal.

17. damnilocano

damnilocano New Member

I had a NBR Craiglist sale. I was selling a headboard and bed frame. I got numerous low ball offers but a couple of real buyers. After weeding out the, "Can you hold it for 2 weeks til I get paid?" and "Will you take a check?" One lady said she could come by the house that night with cash. Winner!

She was only 5 minutes late and I direct her to my condo... then I see there's a lowered old school truck. She brought her brothers with her. Her cholo looking brothers.. who happened to be about 6' tall... and probably weighed around 300lbs each. Ah hell!! I'm getting robbed! Picked up one of the bed frame pieces thinking I could use it as a weapon but no way in hell it would work. Buyer comes up to me and hands me the money and says her brothers are here to help her. FWEEEH!!!

Now, I meet everyone at the Vons down the street.

18. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Gotta love spammers

Email #1 regarding a bike selling for $350

KHS Flite 220 Med

Hello,My Name is Bruner William,I am using this medium to notify you of my interest in purchasing your Item and i will like to ask some few question.

Q#1. How long have you owned it?
    Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? b) If not how many previous owner?
    Q#3.Why are you selling it?
    Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of conditions it?
    Q#5. Any more available photo?
    Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
    Q#7. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check with cheque or bankers draft or personal)as a mode of payment.

Kindly reply back to my Email address below ([email protected]) For more details.
    Regards

Bruner William.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2572

My reply (answers in red)
    KHS Flite 220 Med

Hello,My Name is Bruner William,I am using this medium to notify you of my interest in purchasing your Item and i will like to ask some few question.

Q#1. How long have you owned it? (3 yrs ish)
    Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? (yes) b) If not how many previous owner?
    Q#3.Why are you selling it? (she upgraded her bike)
    Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of conditions it? (excellent)
    Q#5. Any more available photo? (I will have her take more if necessary)
    Q#6. How much are you asking for it? ($350 as listed in ad)
    Q#7. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check with cheque or bankers draft or personal)as a mode of payment.(cash only possibly paypal if buys adds 5% for charges)

Kindly reply back to my Email address below ([email protected]) For more details.
    Regards

Bruner William.
    Email #2
    I was just about to make the payments when i had this little problem
    with the picking up of the item , I am currently on sea and i tried
    to book pick up with my pick up agent, but they asked me to pay first
    before they can make the booking, and they only accept western union
    money transfer for payments and they don't accept pay pal or bank
    transfer and I tried to send the money online but i couldn't and I am
    on sea and there is no way i can find a western union agent to make
    the transfer to my pick up agent, so i wanted to ask if it was OK for
    me to include my pick up agent's fees in the payments I am about to
    send through pay pal, my pick up agent charged $500 plus insurance and
    all 'o that, pl can i include their money in the payments I want to
    send then after i have made the payments you will help me forward the
    $500 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, this I
    would have done myself and not bother you but the for the fact that I
    am currently on sea, so after I have made the payments you will help
    me send $500 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer,
    I just wanted to seek your consent before going ahead with the
    payments,I will more than appreciate if you mail me back, and I will
    be making the payments shortly.

PS:the shipping company's Head quarters is in England and any pick up
    fees to be paid is sent to their head quarters by the payee, so the
    money for pick up will be sent to their head quarters in England
    through western union money transfer(this can be done from any post
    office) or you can do it online at WWW.western union.com

Followed immediately by email #3

WHATS YOUR PAYPAL EMAIL, IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL LET ME KNOW YOUR
    PAYPAL EMAIL AND HOME ADDRESS FOR PICK UP
    I WILL ADD EXTRA $100

My reply (as you can tell I knew this was a scam from the get go)

So let me get this straight...you will pay an extra $100 (making the total $450)to me and $500 for shipping for a bike that is worth $350? Of course I will take that deal....I need you to send me a verified paypal address 1st and a good faith down payment of 50% of the total so that is $225. Since you are at sea is the bike going to be delivered to you on the ship (that be awesome to ride a bike around a ship)or will it be waiting for you at home?

email #4
    Okay,the shipping company we take the bike to my house address till
    when i came back from the sea,i was just about to make the payment but
    i we need your paypal email to make the payment,so get back to me so
    that the payment can be made today.

Regards

my reply

I'm sorry but due to a rush of people wanting to buy my bike I am turning this into an auction...the current price has risen to $750...are you still interested? if so what is your bid price? Can you send me the shipping company's contact info so I can make sure they know where to pick up the bike if/when you win the auction...

email #5
    I'm okay with the price $750.i we need your paypal email to make the
    payment,so get back to me so that the payment can be made today.

my reply
    I'm sorry but since our last email exchange the bidding on the bike has gone up to $1250. If you still want the bike please place a bid in excess of $1250...

email #6 and final email...

Thanks for your respond,
    It okay by me,so get back to me with your paypal email to make the payment

I was going to see how long I could get him to keep agreeing to a price increase....

19. safetybreaks

safetybreaks New Member

I think I sold a quad to the same family...lol...

the guys picked up the adult sized quad like it was a tricycle and threw it in the back of their truck with 24" wheels...

20. BH1

BH1 New Member

Art Director, Motion Graphics and Animation
    Every CL experience I have ever had I dealt w/ scammers, a-holes, ignorant idiots and/or really cheap people.

I even had a guy claiming the bike I was selling was his and I stole it from him, and he demanded I give it back. I then showed him the original receipt from when I bought the bike new and he STILL claimed it was a stolen bike. Another guy (looking at the same bike) tried arguing that the bike listed on CL was not the bike I was selling. What had happened was he came to look at my bike but in his little pea-brain he thought he was coming to look at a different bike because he got the listings mixed up.

To this day I dont think I will ever sell anything on CL ever again. The hassle of dealing w/ those people is not worth the money to me.

Selling stuff on PinkBike is even more entertaining... I love getting offers like: "will you trade me your bike for a iPod nano and BMX handlebars? My mom can pick up the bike this weekend."