Help with jumping

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by Garrett, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

So, I have a sort of fear of jumping on my bike. I'm a Clydesdale, so when I fall, I tend to fall hard. Plus I've had my fair share of jump-related injuries - most recently a faceplant and hip pointer on the kicker at the end of Lynx. Even before then it was a fear of mine.

Anyone have suggestions for getting started with jumping? It really looks like great fun and I bet it will really improve my DH/FR skills as well. I'm not sure if my bike is suitable for that kind of riding. I'd imagine I could really wreck it if I landed wrong or something. :?:

2. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    By clyde...just what are we talking about here? I'm 235-240 and while I'm not the greatest pilot, I can get it up when it counts!

What do you ride? Good suspension make all the difference for us big boys. When I upgraded to a better bike and got 6 inches up front, I stopped bottoming out. I see pictures of me landing jumps and I take in a lot more of the shock than I ever realized...and its not from big air.

Mild Jump
    IMG_5421.JPG
    Almost fully compressed
    IMG_5422.JPG
    I do run it a tiny bit soft to keep it plush, but still, I use it all because of my weight.​

3. motoholic

motoholic New Member

I'm no clyde, but I actually found that I learned the most about jumping on a hardtail.
    First of all, jumping is best learned on flat pedals if you have them. Clipless will work, but you won't learn the fundamentals like bunny hopping and pumping as well.
    I have found that the key is to be loose. It's the hardest thing to do, but make sure that through the entire jumping process your grip isn't too tight, your elbows are bent and moving and same with your knees.
    Practice track stands to improve balance, this will greatly increase your comfort and confidence jumping. Also practice those bunny hops.
    More specifically, once you have the fundamentals, jumping to flat always try to land back wheel first. If there's a landing built up nose down and land smoothly on the landing.
    Hope this helps

Cheers

4. W4S

W4S New Member

5. tortoise

tortoise Member

Show off;) I'd be happy to be able to bunny hop without smacking my rear on the curb:clap:

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    It just takes practice, there are a bunch of great little gaps and curbs all close together in Tustin. Let's have a poll to see when the most folks can make it, and if some better riders will offer to "instruct".

7. dennis

dennis New Member

bartender
    I'm in. I can use some tips and techniques on jumping.

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    now that i now where my local e.r. is...i'm in.

9. MRB

MRB All Ride

bike shop owner
    Wood playground and dirt jump paradise,CA
    Its all about jumping curb cut outs. Best way to learn simple jumping skills. Good call Disco. I might be down. It would have to be after 7pm.

10. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
  11. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I'm 205lbs and ride this:

[​IMG]

Plenty of travel up front, because of the Intrinsic damping I keep it plush for the first 2/3 of the travel before it firms up. Its nice and soft but never bottoms out.

12. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    If you want to learn to jump and your on a full suspension bike with clipless pedals, you'll need to invest some money. A hardtail with flats is how you learn the fundamentals just like when you were a kid. If you can't invest that much $ then put some flats on your bike and put a ton of air pressure in that rear shock and do this:

1. bunny hop. front wheel up first then back wheel (this is known as the J hop for us old schoolers)

2. bunny hop curbs. this will get your timing down.

3. bunny hop taller curbs, and then taller, and then taller. Your timing and technique is getting much better now.

4. Now ride down a sidewalk with inclines and declines for the driveways and use this technique to catch more air then just riding over them fast. If you've been practicing you can clear over 20ft gaps with only a 6" incline. The timing of the jump is the same as bunny hopping, legs compressed, elbows bent, body low, then body up, pull back, extend legs and jump (with your legs) pull feet up, push forward with your hands. Voila your catching alot more air then just hitting the incline. The bunnyhop is crucial to learning how to jump, all the technique and mechanics are there. If your not comfortable hitting jumps out on the trail, DON'T, unless your a gambling man, in which case, haul ass and go for it. If your not good at bunny hopping your not good at jumping ( you might be good at going off stuff at speed, but your not in control of your altitude).
    5. That's it! Catching alot of air isn't by luck, it's being fundamentally sound, and that's learned on hardtails with flats. Most all the tricks out there can be learned with just a speed bump ( at least the ones I'm willing to try).

If you learn this and pratice this everything else will start to come naturally.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  13. mrk_d

mrk_d New Member

Just to reinforce what others have said, definitely work on your bunnyhops before anything else, and build from there. That motion translates over to all types of jumps. Start small and work up!

14. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Nice! I'll print this in my brain :bang::clap:

15. raynmaker1005

raynmaker1005 New Member

recent grad
  16. techryder

techryder Member

Great thread. I've never really thought about new riders in this sport. I've been bunny hopping & jumping since childhood on my BMX. It's alot of fun catching air. Like anything else, just practice!

17. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Very nice! I like it! Great style too... :clap:

Kenter is Great for learning how to jump. All kinds of lines there...

18. shap

shap New Member

kirkland toilet paper in the picture!!!!

19. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    if 205 is considered clydes then im almost right there with you. i learned how to jump at kenter. however im not the best jumper but it def. improved my skills and gave me confidence.

20. ViLerocker

ViLerocker New Member

Student/ Golf Course Construction
    Home Page:
    Kenter is definately a good training tool if you're just learning how to jump. I hadn't been on a bike in 4 years and that place get's you up to speed quick. The lower section has a decent set of table-tops to get you started on, then when you're comfortable on those...head back up the trail for some fun ::bang: