Help Us On STR Find A Job (merged threads)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by thomaswildchild, May 24, 2010.

1. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    IF you lie you could be fired if they find out!

That said if you do choose to do so, say something like this : "I went on a soul searching pilgrimage in Tibet with a quadriplegic hooker that I picked up in Singapore."

BUT DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! :lol:

2. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Local 250??? Im not a plumber if thats a plumbers union....

3. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

[video=youtube;IWMgQ53nl7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IWMgQ53nl7M#t=81s[/video]

This is what I think of when I hear union. Fast forward to 1:20 :lol:

4. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    Isn't google amazing? lol! http://ua250.org/index3.php

5. Rkoa63

Rkoa63 Certified Newb

CPA
    If you're afraid of a large gap in your resume just use the "Self Employed" route as a filler. I hardly doubt the future possible employer is going to examine your Schedule C to see if you have in fact earned any self employment income. If they ask for references on some of your self employed work talk to some ex co-workers or friends who can speak the jargon of the field you're in to cover/vouch for you. If I had been unemployed since June 09 I'd fluff my resume as much as I needed to to get the job.

My uncle is an engineer in the aerospace industry so I'll talk to him and see if his work or any of his suppliers are hiring.

6. mtnbkr818

mtnbkr818 Member

are you looking for work?

I know a guy who is looking for someone who can drive bobcats, backhoes, and excavators. It is a good company. Let me know and I will give you his number. He can use you now. The work is up in Los Angeles. Around Bel Air.

7. zman

zman WTF ?

experience or lack of ? :lol:

8. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Just a bump for anyone looking for a job (including me) that has to fill out an application. It is very common now a days to run into this rediculous test, so make sure your prepared for it when you do. I've been applying for stuff out there and ran into this a few time. If you fail this portion of a test it's almost a guarantee you will be shot down like lambda drive stated.

9. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    May I interject??

Be careful with your facebook profiles private employers are looking at them.

Know the position and company you are applying for.. Boost your resume with terminology from the Dictionary of Occupational Titles, from the Department of Labor. Speak the talk of the company. I've been employed for the past 20 years in the Feds. The trends in the job market are more Kaiser healthcare jobs, Loma Linda hospital is hiring, the military may have a space for your career field. Diplomatic Security service is hiring along with the CIA.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  10. ridefruita

ridefruita New Member

Hey fellow STR members.

Nirve Sports in Huntington Beach is hiring a Warranty Tech. Must be an experienced Bicycle Mechanic, self motivated, and ready to do good work.

You will be building bikes, helping in the warehouse, and helping work events.

Position Overview

Responsible for managing warranty and customer service area. Interacting with sales and warehouse departments.

Essential Job Functions

• Resolve customer service and warranty issues with dealers and consumers
    • Disassemble bikes for warranty purposes
    • Assemble bikes
    • Quality Control of merchandise.
    • Maintain clean and tidy work area
    • Work consumer events and Tradeshows as needed
    • Work with shipping department as needed
    • Assist sales department as needed
    • Empty designated bathroom waste baskets daily

E-Mail Dan at [email protected] or call 714-892-5795

11. UEDan

UEDan Member

IT Tech
    My work place is looking for a Web page designer. Boss wants something with flash and there is some MySql integration.
    EDIT: Oh yeah, PM me with your details and we're located in Irvine right across from the Marketplace.... you know REI =P

12. melster

melster Member

Software
    My workplace is looking for someone with some customer service experience who has an IT background. Basically, our customers are auto dealerships, and you'll have to walk them through installing our software. Sometimes you'll have to troubleshoot installation problems and network/firewall issues with our customers. You'll also be expected to perform desktop customer support for our 35 employees.

We are currently in Mission Viejo, but we are going to be moving to Aliso Viejo, just a couple of miles from Aliso & Wood Canyon in the next 2-3 months. We're growing fast (8 employees in 2008, 35 now), so it's a ground floor opportunity. Hit me up if you're interested.

13. alterego

alterego New Member

Sales rep for Gallo wines
    If your out of work and cant find anything check out AmeriCorps. They have a lot of programs and offer tons of different jobs. I started in November working through the Red Cross and am getting lots of experience in emergency services and its a steady check. If anyone has questions about AmeriCorps hit me up and I'll help you out the best I can.

14. Mk3

Mk3 D to the izzope

Commercial HVAC
    Home Page:
  15. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

=================

16. DannyJ

DannyJ New Member

Professional Lab Rat
    This might seem a little spammy being my second post and all, but I assure you, it isn't.

If you are desperate for money, ever looked at Amazon's Mechanical Turk?

www.mturk.com

Simple tasks, some pay well, some don't. All depends on how fast you work.

If you do that, go to http://turkopticon.differenceengines.com/ and get the extension, so you can see the requesters ratings and reviews. There are scammers from time to time.

Far from a get rich quick scheme, considering the pay. I used to work for a couple hours till I got about $20 a day. depending how fast you work, you can make somewhere between .01 and $20. But realistically if you work at a decent pace and stay on it, I'd say around $7-8 an hour.

NEXT: Anyone ever tried the oDesk site? yes www.odesk.com all online work, so you can work at home, BUT they do monitor you. CLOSELY! I'm not a huge fan of it myself, and you have to apply for the jobs, but depending on what you want to do there isn't really a lot of competition.

That's it. Look no referral links = not spam.

I am just a master at avoiding having to get a real job. Even though I have several. :-k

Little extra info on both. Amazon doesn't charge to transfer money to your bank account or anything, and they say it takes 7-10 days (it took 2 for me). But they make it real easy to spend your earned money on Amazon. Which does have some good stuff. Get a kindle, no one reads anymore.

And, some jobs on oDesk are per hour and some are per job, Make sure you pay attention. I almost took a job updating an email database for $200, but a few questions later I found out it would take over 2 weeks working full time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  17. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I did two terms of Americorps 1999-2001. It was an amazing experience- long hours doing lots of good things for the community and very, very low pay.
    I hear it's on the chopping block once again thanks to the GOP.

18. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    even thought BP is up for sale on teh west coast, they are hiring 3 people for marine terminal operations.

www.bp.com/carreers

19. mtnbkr818

mtnbkr818 Member

bob cat and back hoe operators

I can put you in touch with a comjpany who is looking to hire. Booth grading and re compacting is hiring

20. TREE

TREE New Member

I just wanted to say this is a cool thread! With all of the other threads that contain bashing on opinions, questions, etc. this one seems to be sanitized of all that BS. Just brother and sister riders looking out for each other. :clap::clap: