Help Save Rural Orange County

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rather b riding, Jul 26, 2015.

1. rather b riding

rather b riding New Member

2. Andy

Andy Member

Never stops does it? Done

3. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Easy; done.

4. launchpad

launchpad Member

Unemployed and Living In My Mom's Basement
    Orange County but want to move to the Inland Empir
    Color me cynical but isn't this just a bunch of homeowners who already live on "open space" trying to prevent their property value from dropping by restricting supply and insuring they have a nice view of wilderness? Is it private property that's being developed or national forest? If it's the former, why would anyone sign such a thing? Do you really think a petition should be able to stop a property owner from developing their property. If it's the latter, then I'll sign.

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It is Orange County I did not move to Orange County for open space. We live here for good jobs, safe neighbors and good schools. Then we sell our houses that have increased in value to move to places that have open space. Decades to late to complain.

Dean

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Signed, but I dont think the ceo of a private development company is gonna give s$!% one about a petition opposed to his project. Im wondering if its currently on private or public land; if is forest land the petition would be to cleveland national forest director? So I suspect its private land. (like the oakley trails, i believe?). sucks though.

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Rutter indeed owne the land, and at first the county greeenlighted them years ago, then ruled against it, and then reversed that ruling in March on appeal. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/court-653994-project-county.html This part was left out of the call for petition: "The developer then sold most of its 600 acres in Trabuco Canyon, but set aside the remaining 113 acres for Saddle Crest. The new project is designed to have 65 homes on about 34 acres, while dedicating the remainder of the parcel for open space." So, if this is still true ate least its down to 34 acres from 600. Of course I dont know who bought the 487 acres and whats gonna happen with that.

8. wert

wert New Member

The sold land was set aside for conservation purposes. 34 acres is quite a reduction. And down to 65 homes from the originally approved plan which also included a commercial site and a lot more homes. And Rutter is left to develop his piece of land next to the existing Santiago Canyon estates development, so it's not like it was the most pristine property in the canyon.

Half of me wants to tell the nimby's go raze their houses and restore the land to what it was before. I live in a development that once had oak trees on it 20 years ago...
    Then again, there are some battles worth fighting. I'd hate to see a free for all with every developer in the canyons starts building on their land.

Btw, this battle is done. Just like the late outcry for Baldwin's Portola Center in Foothill Ranch. Both organized years too late. Do I like the design of the Portola Center- not really. Can I complain- not really since I didn't attend the Council meetings years ago to voice my concerns, write any letters to the City, organize any petitions, etc. If you are concerned with the canyon's future, you'll need to do your homework early.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/native-195804-county-oak.html

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    The conservation land was purchased with $20 million of public money, from the state and federal; then turned over to a private conservation group. They have blocked it off from public use even though it was purchased with public money. This really irks me.
    I know all of this because we used to lease a piece of it for our 4H livestock.

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Irks me too, I cant stand "no public acess" conservation. If people cant experience and enjoy nature, they wont learn about or fight to protect it.

11. SQRRRL

SQRRRL New Member

The "Foothill Trabuco development agreement" that has protected the canyons for years has been abolished by the courts allowing the corrupt OC board of supervisors to give the green light to develop the canyons. This is just the start of canyon development.

12. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I guess I am spoiled since I live so close to most excellent single trac. Lately I tend to work late so I ride from home. I do yearn to ride third tunnel, space mtn, dead cow, and such but c'est la vie. I agree the property if it is private should not be ruled by the state, the state owns so much land and taking it is totally a Hitler youth move. Sounds like a good home to invest in, Orange County gold. I did pick my home location on purpose so my single trac is here to stay and riding wicked trails from your driveway is awesome.
    happy trails in the big hills