Help me find the right 29er

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Bryguy17, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I may take you up on that. as of right now, it seems that my best bets are:

inbred slot dropout, buy a used reba, and build up with standard thomson stuff etc.

or buy jeff's one9, with a rigid fork, for the same price and lose about 3 lbs of weight.

comes out to about the same price, just a matter of whether I want light and stiff, or durable and compliant and heavy(er)

2. ssmike

ssmike New Member

Liar
    Sorry about the threadjack but I am also looking to get an XL 29er.....Is yours actually for sale? Details or pics?

Thanks.

Mike

3. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

so... brian, what did you think about the scandal?

no chain slip, no creaking, etc...

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

scandal rides very well actually. I don't hate the 29er things as much as I anticipated. that said, I'm not going to convert my whole fleet to them, but it was a good ride.

once I got used to the steeper HA and extra momentum, all was good. scandal didn't have any trouble with any of the technical stuff we did (it was hairier than my other bikes in the loose rocks, but not as bad as the dirtjumper).

lets see, roller going into the park, roller off the side of the road, down bar-breaker, down the rabbit whole, electrical box drop, on the hip jump by the stairs, down the stairs. good times indeed. got chewy nice and skerred I was gonna break his wheels :bang:

I'd be interested to see how the steel frame feels compared to the scandium too. the scandium was really springy, and did absorb a bit of the chatter. I was bobbing a lot on the paved road stuff. that's probably due to me not being used to the hardtail, and spinning pretty fast. :?:

5. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    Hey SS Mike...It is for sale, but I need to put a crankset on it (i robbed it to build up my Niner). I will post photos this weekend and make a formal post...unless I hear from you with a PM. I'm looking for $400 completely built.

6. ssmike

ssmike New Member

Liar
    Sending PM...thanks

7. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

not sure if any one posted this but those Specialized 29er frames look pretty cool ehh!~!! :clap:

8. fat bob

fat bob New Member

SIR nine is what you're looking for, new biocentric EBB looks to solve EBB issues, and under 900 is pretty cheap IMO for Reynolds 853 frame

9. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Consider a Specialized 29er?

My '08 Specialized 29er has been a great ride for me, I've had it for just over a year, I'm about 6'-3" 235lbs, and ride agressively. I looked at several other similar yet more expensive brands of bikes but they didn't have the technology (IMHO) and they are priced much higher. I switched out the bars, stem, seatpost, wheelset and forks for better versions. Even with the added exspense it's still much less $$ than a built-up bike. I couldn't be happier with it.

10. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Bryguy,

I've a feeling that a little time on a 29er at your height will be a good fit. It is a bit different style of ride, but the way it climbs I find superior to what I had before, for my height. Be patient, you'll find what's best for you.

11. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

it's true, the 29er bike does sorta fit better. riding chewy's scandal, it was a fast, good handling bike, and not too bad in the odd technical feature. not quite my trail bike, but I don't expect it to be.

but like I said, I'm not fully converted. tehy're good bikes, but I think I'd rather keep the 26ers in teh stable for fun reasons. there's only so much jumping I would do on a 29er

12. 29SSer

29SSer New Member