Help! Do I get hurt a LOT?...

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by shudder, Sep 2, 2009.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Very sorry to hear this latest news... you'll be in my prayers tonight for a fast recovery...

Now, regarding the amount of crashes, etc...etc... I find some some reason they seem to go in groups. I'll go several years without anything really serious... then several in a row. I've broken ribs twice this year. We all do stupid stuff and sometimes suffer for it.... and sometimes feaky things happen... point is: you are going to crash doing this sport. I don't know a single person who is a core rider who hasn't crashed... not a matter of if, only when.

I have noticed as I've gotten older that crashes seem to hurt more and that I get injured easier (youth is wasted on the young!) Unfortunately, this is a price we ALL pay for doing this sport. I've known several girls that gave it up because they couldn't stand the scaring on their legs.

I guess my advise it to relax and just enjoy the ride...whether you're crashing or not.

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    A bit of dilautid insomnia goin' on here... (just gone 5AM), so thought I'd post and hope it doesn't come out ALL DRUGGY...

That's the sad part D'back -- in most cases, I'm not a big risk-taker, and when I have been (on those ~FEW~ time) I was so on my game (Yeah! I think...) that I was okay. Mostly.

In the case of mt recent fall at Northstar that has dropped me into the world's most expensive hotel twice in a month (did you see that it's like 12 grand a night, above??!?!), I was coming down that night's XC race course with my 7 year old (yeah, my KID even survived it!) when my front tire went in a hole over a little rock precipice and over I went. I was mad as hell! I mean it was a stupid little fall, for chrissake!!! And I just knew I'd gone and done something again. Sheesh.

Folks have put in all kinds of good advice on this thread over the month it's been up and rolling -- from wearing body armor ("Be the only XC rider on your block wearing a Chest Protector NOW!!!"), to getting some perhaps much-needed riding instruction, to getting a new bike (I thought my C'dale was pretty good!!). But almost to a one, folks have said not to hang it up.

There you go. I can't see the screen proper-like anymore, so I am hitting it again.

- shud

P.S. to Gregg -- Yeah, perhaps I should maybe just ramp down my 'need' for the competitive riding. I loved the sport when I got into it just to ride, but more and more (as I have gotten older and older) more focus has gone into racing. Because I can't afford a Maserati, maybe this need to race has been my mid-life-crisis (turned 50 this past year...)???

3. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    I admire your dogged determination to continue riding. It says something about your personality that you're laying in your post-operative "hotel" bed at 5 a.m. and writing about...Mountain Biking!

As I said before, don't let people blame your bike either; there's nothing wrong with a Cannondale Rush (or a Lefty if you have one). Maybe you've just let your enthusiasm for the sport get the better of you at times ;)

Perhaps tone it down -- you've got a family to consider after all -- but certainly don't give it up. It's pursuing what you love that keeps you young. I'm about to turn 45 myself and I can't imagine life without hearing the sound of my tubeless tires crunching in the dirt :clap:

4. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Thanks for the good words, Kev. I do love my RUSH 1000 and my Lefty is awesome -- I love the ease of using that shock, and I have always felt the bike rids real nice, though it is a bit heavy (33 lbs.) for a racing XC bike. I love the ride of it, but if you read up above, some of the wrenches I've had work on the bike at races are none too enamored of it apparently. That's disappointing (it was expensive! -- I mean not Giant Anthem or Scott Spark or even Kona Kula expensive -- but it was plenty for me to spend).

Hopefully everything will return to 'normal' once I am healed up and able to ride again. We'll see...

- shud

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Heal up fast Shudd. It bums me out to hear you're down but keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

6. XcShane

XcShane Member

Hey man. I just wanted to say good luck with everything. I feel bad for ya. It does sound like a lot of hurt but I hope it all smooths out for you. I think everyone that has replied has given you some good thoughts. I don't have much to add but I would echo what "bikeadict" posted.

I too probably don't push it like I could, and in that maybe I'm not achieving the best thrills to say. But, I have loads of fun doing it and most importantly, to me, I get to ride another day.

See you out there man! :wave:

7. Rockslide

Rockslide Two-wheeled transient.

Shudder, sorry to hear you are in pain man. Hope the healing process is swift.

I had a string of crashes and broken bones when I started riding more technical terrain and pushing the speed limits of my bike. All this while trying to keep up with my DH buddies with bigger bikes. It sounds like you like to ride varied terrain.

1. I found my braking skills were terrible and panicky at the time. The front brake can really get you into trouble. Switching my brakes to another set with more modulation really helped. They are more forgiving. I am spoiled a little with the new brakes, but still try to use proper braking technique. You may notice that the rear brake will also shift your weight forward slightly. Combine this with fork dive perhaps, bad body position and rocks....you know what happens.

2. I couldn't handle riding with Crank Brother pedals. I crashed so many times with those things because I couldn't dab or bail in time. I have gone OTB twice since I changed to a pair of Shimanos adjusted to a looser setting. Once, bailing and landing on my feet running. I love them.

3. Setting fork preload on my bike properly for the type of terrain and speed of the trail has helped me also. This might work differently on other forks with compression adjustments. My compression adjustment only affects the end of the stroke. For slow rocky terrain, I have to make sure my fork isn't too "divey".

You may consider getting a bike with more travel and a slacker head tube angle. Sometimes you may need more momentum to get over obstacles. Your short travel bike might make you hesitant to roll through stuff and higher speed. More travel will also give you more line options on the trail so you are not put in the position to panic brake. You can just plow through what is right in front of you and worry about what's further ahead.

A slacker head tube angle will help to modulate your reactions to terrain obstacles. Yes, it feels less maneuverable at slow speeds and when climbing. You get used to it. You will have to lean the bike more for slow speed turning. IMO this is better technique anyway. You learn to manipulate your bike to get more out of it. I recently got a 43 lbs+ freeride bike with a slack HT angle. The 2.5 2 plys, DH tubes, tall front end and weight aren't too fun to climb. That said, the fun geometry has motivated me to ride it more and more. I have climbed Sullivan, Chantry, Sunset, Turnbull, Santiago Oaks and Ken Burton with it. As fun as this bike is, the weight does get to me though. I hope to swap my trail bike frame with a slacker one soon.

A riding clinic, like others have suggested isn't a bad idea. I have been lucky to ride with friends with lots of experience. I ask them a lot of questions and appreciate any critique they have to offer. I'm still learning.

These are some things that have helped me. Hopefully you can get something out of it. Crashing sux!

8. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    holy fock. healing vibes shud.

9. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...

Rather, three holes in my abdomen, but who's counting? :?:

[​IMG]

Not that long ago (15 to 20 years is all!), my mid-section would have been neatly sliced open to go get the fist-sized thing my surgeon went in and got out of me yesterday (yes, I have a pic of it, but maybe this is not the time or place...).

Laparoscopic surgery is old hat, I know, but I still find it amazing that I had somewhat major abdominal surgery yesterday (Sunday), and now they are thinking of letting me outta here tomorrow (Tuesday). The cyst on my spleen (what he's calling it now) grew to be about the size of the spleen itself. No wonder it was making me uncomfortable again. Glad he got to it before it blew. Now the only thing that hurts is these three little holes in my belly...

Nearly back on my game. Sort of.

- shud

10. gone2vegas

gone2vegas Crash Test Dummy

aspiring lottery winner
    wow hope you recover soon and are back on the bike. speaking of getting a new bike, in June I built up an Ellsworth Epiphany. my former bike was a 2003 Jekyll. I actually think with the new bike I want to ride faster than I should at times. this has already resulted in a crash at Mammoth a little over a month ago. my point being, a new bike won't necessarily prevent you from crashing again.

11. fisherman19710

fisherman19710 New Member

x2 on Rockslide's post regarding clips, Shudder. I had 3 nasty falls before switching, the ability to adjust the tension has made all the difference for me personally.

12. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    ^^ As it would happen, I took a set of Shimano SPD M540s off the RUSH when I got it (and I still have them -- I put 'em on my Titus roadie!). Maybe I should yank them off the road bike and give them a go...

gone2vegas: My son rides an Els Epi, and Paul Verdile from Ellsworth has been trying to get me on one for ages now. Funny that you should find yourself wanting to ride FASTER now that you're on that particular bike (that's ALL I need...). :lol:

- shud

13. bobcat38

bobcat38 Member

USPS letter carrier
    Thats what I've decided to do.

14. aznpg

aznpg Banned

i'm like you shudder when i had my dirtbike i used to get injured almost everytime i ride which was almost every week and concussion was somewhat normal

15. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Be glad they're kicking you out of there. At $8k/day or more you don't want to hang around.
    When you get better let's have a Shudder Recovery Ride...sounds like it might be a fund raiser! We'll all do a ceremonial OTB in your honor:)
    Heal up soon!

16. skiterr

skiterr New Member

I don't have a good balance so I tend to crash a lot, however I learned that I crashed a lot more and a lot harded with my clipless pedals, so guess what, I put them away and don't ride with them anymore. Riding with platforms gives me a lot more control (or at least it feels like it) and confidence. Clipless pedals are not for everybody, putting your foot down without having to unclip might just save your life one day. Make sure to get good pedals with a lot of grip.
    Having a lot of experiance in the crash dept, knowing how to fall is really important. One thing I learned is to go over the bars and land on my feet. Last 9 out 10 OTBs I landed on my feet without any injury.
    I don't know if you already did or not, but get professionally fitted for your bike, you just might be in a wrong position.

17. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    If I ever get an opportunity to ride with you, I'll bring a signal mirror, flares and a spine board. Trust your instincts and be a martyr for our cause. I too hear it from my co workers but they mainly get upset when I leave scabs at their desks.