Help! Do I get hurt a LOT?...

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by shudder, Sep 2, 2009.

1. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    1. March '07: Raced at Fontucky.
    RESULT: Broke two ribs.

2. May '07: Run over the day after Cinco De Mayo by some a** f**k on a chopper.
    RESULT: Two compression fractures on my spine and two broken ribs (okay, this was on my road bike, but still has to count due to the damage done, and I WAS on a bike...).

3. October '07: Rode down J-Drop with my son, Willie. I endoed on a hard left switchback right into a tree. Bike got stuck vertically so that the handlebars were like a stake sticking up in the air. Landed my inner right thigh on this 'pole.'
    RESULT: Big, ugly purple hematoma the size of Dubuque that did not go away for over a year (to this day, it still bugs me a bit...).

4. February '08: STR ride through Chesebro to Suicide, led by epicriderat. I got banged up, and so did my bike.
    RESULT: Bruised ribs, broken chain, bent seat post, bruised ego, etc.

5a. March '08: Out for a ride in Chesebro with Willie on the his first day of Spring Break. He zigged: I zagged.
    RESULT: Fell and hurt right wrist somethin' bad, but initial x-rays at the ER were inconclusive.

5b. May '08: Had the wrist x-rayed again.
    RESULT: Broken after all. In a cast for four weeks.

6. January '09: Walking down icy road up in Mammoth.
    RESULT: Fell and bruised my back (I know, this is NBR, but it did take me out of the January 12 Hours of Temecula race).

7. August '09: Rode Northstar with my 7-yr-old, trying to be careful. Endoed onto rocks.
    RESULT: Fours broken ribs, ruptured spleen -- spent five days in hospital.

So, that brings me current -- SEVEN injuries in a little over two years, some more major than others and not all of them on the MTB...

But it's all a little depressing: Everyone in my life is concerned about how much I hurt myself doing this sport, and it is starting to get under my skin. My wife wants me to hang it up. Mates at work are wondering aloud when I am going to do something else. I'm finding it hard to think about getting back out there, nervous I might f**k it up yet again (and we all know this is NOT a good way to approach any ride...). I ride carefully! I try not to take stupid chances! I'm no speed demon -- f'r chrissake, I'm a freakin' boat anchor (read: slow). I'm depressed because logic is telling me that maybe I should look elsewhere, but I LOVE IT so much! I just don't know at this point how to make it all fit.

And how to STOP breaking stuff!

Am I getting hurt more than the average Joe? I feel like I have skills -- I mean, I try my hand at racing and all -- but they are mostly self-taught. And I did well enough at last year's SoCal MTB League Coaches Clinic up in Big Bear... at least no one made fun of me (that I know of...).

Ideas?

Thanks for your time.

- shud

2. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Start wearing armor...?

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I have had several coaches/teachers and they always suggested reviewing what happened and how not to do the same thing again.

Here are some things that come to mind:
    • Is it certain bike handling skills that need some work? Try a clinic, maybe with Joe Lawill.
    • Is it the bike you are riding?
    • Could it be suspension related?
    • Could it be the wrong tire selection for the terrain?

4. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    Warrior

Well, I have wrecked many times, often it's not so much how many wrecks as it is how many times we get injured in those wrecks. Your style may be something to look at, not your overall skill. You're a great rider a WARRIOR. I know one thing :) Probabally should buy a pressure suit to protect them ribs :bang:

5. denmother

6. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Seems like you had your share.You might be going through an accident cycle.That happened to me about 8/'07 to 10/'08.Couldn't ride a trail without crashing or getting hit by a car.(That's right,a car while mtb'ng.I was connecting trails and was riding 100yds.to the next section when I was sideswiped.Left me with a hematoma on my hip,and a gash on my arm w/18 stitches.The f#^%&*r didn't even stop!)I saw in your profile that you're about 50y/o.I'm 57.Us old geezers gotta be more carefull.:?: Maybe a skills clinic to brush up on things may be in order.:-k Also at our age,our reflexs' definately slow down.I know I am not nearly as aggressive as I used to be.Let me know if you find the answer....I sure can use it! :lol: -Lloyd :wave:

7. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Have you thought about cross-training as injury prevention? Not so much getting better at biking or buying protective equipment (though that helps), but building a stronger body that will hold up to the abuses of mountain biking and working towards all body fitness.

Maybe start lifting weights and incorporate yoga once or twice a week for flexibility. Swim a few laps in the pool once a week. If it's in your budget, see a personal trainer for a couple months and tell him/her that you want to build some infrastructure to protect you during a fall. I find that variety, not volume, does more for my fitness than anything else. My arm has been broken since April, but I'm in better shape now than I have been in years. Granted, my legs aren't the size they were back in March...

Another option might be to get a bone density scan and see if everything is normal. You might find out you need a daily calcium supplement or that you aren't getting enough zinc, whatever.

The very last thing I would suggest would be to give up biking, something you obviously love. I wouldn't even consider that an option. Ride smarter and live a healthy life. I wish you luck.

8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Everyone falls. I had one manager take me aside, after a series of little wrecks, and offer to get me help (mental, not riding). Those who don't ride, don't understand the beauty of it. That doesn't mean you should give it up.

After a bad crash, I think we all have thought questioning our sanity, desire, reasoning. That's normal. Quitting is not ;)

Denmo has a great deal of experience, you may want to heed her advice and try out a clinic. If you're endo'ing, maybe your position on the bike is a bit too far forward, you're not balanced, not fit correctly, whatever. A pro can help!

9. denmother

DOH, I forgot to add: Have your bike professionally fitted.

And the cross training is a great suggestion!!!!

10. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Having not seen you ride or your crashes ...

Another thing to look at, you may be tensing up more then you think when you ride not allowing the bike to "move" under you.

I rode with a guy a few years ago that could handle a bike well. Small drops, jumps and what not but have him ride down a steep hill that had switch backs and/or drops and jumps he would crash every 20 to 30 yards. Sometimes he would get hurt other not so much. We would remind him about proper positioning and he could do it but descents freaked him out even though he would not admit it. You could see the tension as you watched him descend looking like a stink bug defending it's self.:lol:

11. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Michael -
    Personally I think your skill set has outgrown your bike. It's time to drop some cash and pick yourself up something new :wave:Every one of the team wrenches who's touched your bike in the last 3 yrs says your bike needs some *hard core* work or replaced.....

Suck it up!!! you bought Willie one now it's time to treat yourself.

psss.. Don't tell Beth I said this....after this last crash i'm sure you'll be lucky if she EVER lets you ride again #-o

12. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

are you crashing because you're riding too slow? Many times I find that if i try and slow down too much I crash more and it becomes harder to ride. Some times you have to just commit and go for it.

I've never seen you ride so IDK what your situation is. All I can say is just always project yourself cleaning and obstacle or path and go for it as if you're going to clean it.

13. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    I've been pretty lucky in my decade of riding, however, I can say that I probably don't push the limits as much as some people. I don't ride anything more than aggressive XC maybe light All mountain, and when I am riding I try to play it safe (better safe than sorry)...

For you, maybe just go to some of the places you've crashed and ride them over an over, maybe its a skill thing.
    It seems like you have crashed with riding with people a good bit, do you change your riding style, maybe taking it easy doesn't let you roll the line as well.

Either way, keep riding and when you look back on all of it you will remember the rides and not the crashes.

14. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Phil -- Start wearing armor...

This actually came up recently (and more as a joke than anything), but I don't know of any XC specific stuff. But then Nancy added a link, below...

denmo -- Is it the bike you are riding?
    surlygal -- Every one of the team wrenches who's touched your bike in the last 3 yrs says your bike needs some *hard core* work or replaced...

Seriously?!?! I did not know this! I mean, folks like Dan and Boats have always helped me out at the races, but no one ever said I should get a new bike as mine is unfit. It's a 2006 Cannondale RUSH 1000 with a Lefty (4" in front and a Fox RP3 with 4" in back). It's kind of a beast by XC race standards (about 33 lbs.), so I could certainly do with something lighter, but I was unaware it was not good. That makes me sad! I LOVE my bike. :(

denmo -- ...there are some great rib protectors on the market.

That link you gave shows a lot of football and lacrosse stuff, Nancy. Is there anything specific to MTB you can point me to? I don't really know the differences. Thanks.

un-kola -- You might be going through an accident cycle.

Yeah, the UN-ENDING accident cycle it would seem. Sheesh.

Your experience with the car was much the same as with my run-in with the chopper. Sucks big time!!

A skills clinic may be in order once I am healed up... (yes, I am 50) The wife might appreciate my effort to do something about what has been plaguing me for the past few years.

jeff^d -- Have you thought about cross-training as injury prevention?

Sadly, I already do this (sadly in that it is even raised as something I should try -- I am already DOING it!!). I have a trainer at work that I do Tue and Thu lunchtimes with, an hour each session, one on one. The gym is right around the corner from my office, so this is easy. On Mon-Wed-Fri I take my roadie out for a 15-19 mile spin along the LA river, or up and over Griffith Park past the H'wood sign to Griffith Observatory, then back to Burbank. Good work outs every day.

Bone density scan...

Hm. Maybe I'll ask my surgeon about that tomorrow when I go see him to get cleared for return to work next week.

Georgia -- Quitting is not (an option)

Thanks! :) Good to hear!

denmo -- Have your bike professionally fitted.

I had my Titus roadie fitted, but not the RUSH. Maybe I should do that (if I keep it). One thing that helped a LOT with my OTB fails was the addition of my Gravity Dropper about a year and a half ago. That thing is truly awesome and gives a lot more confidence on descents, for sure.

CA_descender -- ...you may be tensing up more then you think

I certainly do when I crash! I also don't come off the bike because I am clipped in, thus making me more prone to injury?...

surlygal -- Suck it up!!!

I'm trying to, Traci. Really am.

psss.. Don't tell Beth I said this....after this last crash i'm sure your lucky if she EVER lets you ride again.

She doesn't read this stuff, but if I do invest in a new sled, I'll be sure to say, "Well, Traci told me to do it!!!!" :clap:

Thanks all! Great stuff. Got my head spinning now.

- shud

15. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

You sound like my long-lost twin.

--Toby (on the DL three months and counting)

16. Gasper

Gasper New Member

I'm going with the bike being the culprit. It's taken me 3 bikes to find the right one but I feel very balanced front to back now and have not had any of those "what the hell just happened" type falls. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself:?:

17. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    ^^ and TOBY is my 7-yr-old son's name! Do you get hurt a lot, ODB?

Paul Verdile at Ellsworth has been trying to talk me into one of his bikes since we got the Epiphany for Willie from him a year ago. Mebbe I should take him up on it...

- shud

18. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    It seems like your getting hurt a lot. But, if you take in the context of how many times/how long you've been riding, it's probably a small percentage. Armor may help with the ribs and back, but it won't do a thing for the wrists.

Take a couple of bike handleing skills classes to brush up or learn something new. Most of all, stay out there - it's all relative.:wave:

19. RazoR

RazoR New Member

Could be your fork.....you seem to go otb alot, which is common, but maybe that 4" lefty folds quick under the bike....one reason I like dual crowns, they hit the frame and you have a split second more to prepare for the bail....if you're doing super techno stuff you need a bike with slacker geometry and more fork out in front, that in itself is safer...

20. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    I do okay in the speed department. I'm slow (*especially on climbs) but I'm no scaredy-cat on the downs. I roll pretty well. Real steep stuff gives me the heebie-jeebies (I'm no downhiller!), but I usually crank my way through things okay.

This last injury happened, I think, because I was impatient -- I was going to ride in the XC race at Northstar, and so went down the course once to be sure I knew where it was. I saw this wall of rock at the bottom of their jump park, and I did not like the look of it, so I told my boy Toby to stand to the side and let me roll it to be sure I would be able to do it in the race that night. I went back up the hill and behind the trees and rolled down quickly. Had to hit the brakes hard because Toby was still standing right in the center of the wall. IMPATIENTLY, I told him to get outta the way, then hiked back up the hill again, a little more impatiently than usual. I rolled back down again, hit the wall hard. Went up and over fine, but on the other side of it right where I went, there was a gawdamm baby head sticking up right in my path. My front wheel jammed down into the crevice in front of it, and over I went, landing *BAM* right in the rocks. I was pissed!!! I was still clipped in and I just threw the farking bike off of me, and then got up. I had knocked the wind outta me something bad. I was unable to breathe for about 30 seconds. I knew right then I had done something bad again...