Hellride 2012

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by russell, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    Strava's 79 mile Challenge will be that same weekend. Perhaps we can start from Redlands, ride up Loch Leven and the Old HWY, and make it a 79 mile ride. Of course we would have to start around 4:00 a.m. in order to meet everyone else at 8:30:lol:. So. . . who's in?

2. montejr

montejr New Member

3. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Hellride is coming up quick and I hope everyone is as excited as I am.

Most of the info below has already been communicated but I want to make sure that everyone sees it.

Time: 7:00 AM (shuttles leave at 7:30 AM sharp)
    Aid Station: Angelus Oaks Store (thanks to JensonUSA and Bike for Bender)

We will be holding a raffle after the ride at Uncle Howies to raise money for Bike for Bender after the ride so please stick around if you can.

It looks like it’s going to be a chilly morning out there but the weather man is calling for plenty of sunshine. Once we get moving it should be great weather for a ride.

There were a few things that I wanted to let everyone know about before Saturday.

- We will be collecting donations for the Redlands Bike BBQ in the morning. If you have any spare bike parts or tools of any kind that you wish to donate please bring them with you in the morning. All donations will receive a raffle ticket. You can find their wish list here: http://www.bikebbq.com/p/wishlist.html

- It’s going to be cold so make sure you have appropriate warm weather gear for biking. Things like long underwear/tights/long socks for your legs, full finger gloves for your hands and long sleeves will help you stay comfortable out on the trail.

- The last section of single track off the back of Morton Peak is overgrown. Please be careful on this section if you choose to ride it there are a number of places where the trail is slightly washed out so you will need to be on your toes at the end of a long day. Long sleeves and long socks/pants will help with the brush on this trail if you choose shorts/short sleeves your legs arms will likely be a bit raw after the ride. It’s not terrible but can be a bit uncomfortable (it is Hellride after all).

- Very important:
    It gets dark around 5:00pm. If you are not already climbing up the Morton Peak fire road by 3:15-3:30 please continue down the road to HWY 38 and follow it out to Uncle Howies from there. Morton Peak takes about 1 hour for very fit/experienced riders and then there is another 15-20 minute ride back to Uncle Howies. If you do not fall into the very fit AND experienced rider category I would highly recommend you do not attempt to ride Morton peak after 3:30 (latest).

- For those of you driving, make sure that you have a National Forest Adventure Pass. They are available from the Ranger Station in Mentone for $5/day or $30/year, the money goes to support the Forest Service.

- We were not able to reserve a party room at Uncle Howies this year so we will need to try to grab tables as we need them as they become available. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a cluster&*^% with too many people. It seemed to work out pretty well last year so I am not too concerned but I wanted to give everyone a heads up that we should try to hold onto seats in the restaurant afterwards if we can.

I will be sending out some any last minute information on Thursday or Friday so check this thread or the Facebook page for any updates.

Again, if you have any questions please let me know.

4. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Anyone have the GPS route of the slow group?

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Like this one?

6. russell

russell Member

Software Company
  7. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Hey Russell,

I think the BIG question is if there will be beer at the aid station or do we carry our own like in years prior:beer:?

And can there be fried chicken at the aid station or do I have to carry the bucket of the Colonels finest like last year:bang:?

8. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Neil, I say you carry the chicken and I will bring the tequila!! ;oP

I got one nice REAL question, should I bring a back pack or the aid station will have enough water for all 40+ people on this ride?

9. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

10. Foxone

Foxone New Member

Hello guys !

I just found this thread and the ride looks awesome !

I never rode SART nor participate to any event like this.
    I'm not a beginner but I've never ridden 36mi, it's mostly downhill so it should be ok.

I'm more concerned about the shuttle...
    I've a sedan with a 3 bike rack, but since I'm kind of new around here (I'm French, moved in Pasadena 2 years ago) I don't know someone to drive me back to the trailhead.
    Maybe someone have an extra seat in his car ?

Thanks !

11. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Consider the 'aid station' is no longer a store, but a restaurant - even though they do still sell a few little things. Keep that in mind.

And Foxone, some how, some one will help you - but keep in mind, that little elevation gain is at altitude. The effect can almost make it feel double.

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Bummer, going to miss it again this year. We have a wedding to go to.

13. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    That's too bad, hopefully next year.

The Benders will be operating the aid station and Jenson USA provided some funds for keeping it supplied. We should have water/gatoraid/cookies/oranges and maybe some other snacks at the aid station. We should have enough to top up everyone. I would still recommend packing a full pack of water for the first part of the ride just in case.

If there is anything you would like to see at the aid station that you don't want to haul with you all morning come see me in the morning and we can see what sort of room the Benders have in their truck.

I need to correct you on this. It is about 6-7000 feet downhill but is also 3000 feet of uphill. It will be a solid ride for people who ride a lot and will be a very tough ride for most weekend warriors.

My advice is to show up early in the morning and come see Al or Margaret or Monte or I. We will be the ones organizing people as best we can. We will have people heading back up the hill afterwards to pick up cars. We will try to get this all sorted out in the morning.

14. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Also, the restaurant does have some stuff for sale, chocolate bars, other candy etc. Please do not stop for a meal (its happened previous years) we need to keep moving and will not wait around. If we run out of water at our aid station the restaurant also has water if necessary.

15. Foxone

Foxone New Member

Thank you Russell.

I have already climbed 3000ft but usually on a shorter ride (20-ish miles).
    And as you said it's possible to take the road after 20 miles of trail.

Will see, but anyway it'll be fun !

16. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

I'm tempted

17. 1singletrackmind

1singletrackmind Lifetime Member EFR Krewe

Ahhhh HELL RIDE YEAH!!!!!:beer:

18. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Getting some rain this morning - not cold enough to snow. Today it should clear up, and so hopefully the trail isn't too sloppy tomorrow. It's not going to get terribly up there cold tonight - mid-upper 30's. High tomorrow in the low-mid 50's. Perfect.

19. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Below is an email that I sent to my co-workers coming on the ride tomorrow. There are a few more details in here that I haven't mentioned yet...

Wooo! Hellride is going to be a great ride tomorrow. Rain or shine or freezing cold, we are going.

I wanted to send some last minute reminders and miscellaneous notes for the ride.

Most years we have naturally broken into groups based on riding speed. This year should be no different; we will have a few ‘group leaders’ that will be leading the various groups, we will identify everyone when we meet at Southfork. All of these people are familiar with the trail so if you have any questions please ask them. These leaders will just be there to make sure that nobody gets lost. If you want to move between groups don’t worry about it we won’t be counting numbers in groups, we just want these people there to help everyone find their way along the trail.

A few notes on trail etiquette, this will be important because of the size of our group (expecting 80+):
    - Please try to ride with the group that suits your ability (speed) the best.
    - If you find that someone has come up behind you, ask them if they would like to get by and let them do so when the trail is clear.
    - If you find that you are coming up behind other people please try to give them space and ask to get around when the trail is clear.
    - Uphill riders have the right of way, if we come across another group on the trail and they are heading uphill please move to the side to let them pass.

I always try to get a group picture every year. Please stick around at the trailhead at least until we get this done.
    What to remember for tomorrow.
    1. Double check that you bring all the essentials – Helmet, gloves, shoes, sunglasses, bike, etc.

2. Snacks/Lunch – We will not be stopping long enough in Angelus Oaks to stop at the restaurant for lunch. We will however have a car parked in Angelus Oaks with some oranges, water and a few other supplies. This is where we will be stopping for lunch. Make sure that you have enough food for 12 miles of riding to get to the breaking point. If there is anything you would like to leave at the halfway point such as food or water or spare parts please find me or Allen in the morning and we can get this stuff stashed.

3. Bring layers. – it’s going to be really cold in the morning hopefully it will warm up a bit by the afternoon. Also, some sections of the trail are slightly grown over. A long sleeve shirt or long socks/shorts will help considerably with keeping the branches at bay.

4. Bring water. You will need at least enough water to get to Angelus Oaks. This is about 12 miles so pack accordingly.

5. Bring tubes. – flat’s seem to be pretty common on this ride so please try to bring at least 1 per person 2 is better.

6. Bring bike tools if you have them.

7. Bring bike parts/tools for donation to the Bike BBQ if you have some.

8. Bring a tire pump if you have one.

9. Sunblock (you never know)

10. If you have room bring some bandages and other miscellaneous medical supplies, just in case.

11. Bring some cash for the raffle and pizza and beer afterwards at Uncle Howies.

12. Probably most importantly, make sure that your bike is in working order before we get out there. It will make the ride more enjoyable for everyone.

Optional:
    a) Cell phone
    b) Camera

We plan to leave the Uncle Howies parking lot at 7:30am sharp tomorrow.

20. Foxone

Foxone New Member

Anyone going from Pasadena ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.